Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 12:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Q5 transmission fill and drain plug location

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 transmission fill and drain plug location

Searched the whole forum for the q5 tranny oil change and can't find it. But my main concern is confirming the tranny oil fill plug before I begin. Can anyone care to point out the fill and drain plug? If someone has pics, that'll be a definite plus. Thnks!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Do you have a Q5 MY 2014?
Excuse me for asking, why you need it for MY2014

Reasons why I'm asking:

Name:  ScreenShot223_zps8248544e.jpg
Views: 6982
Size:  73.6 KB

Last edited by spijun; 03-15-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you want to "play" with gearbox

Name:  ScreenShot220_zps51d585ee.jpg
Views: 14021
Size:  57.6 KB

Name:  ScreenShot221_zps685cf57e.jpg
Views: 6699
Size:  74.8 KB
Name:  ScreenShot222_zps81a406c9.jpg
Views: 10446
Size:  93.5 KB

Name:  ScreenShot224_zpse9fbd974.jpg
Views: 6485
Size:  85.6 KB

Good luck

Last edited by spijun; 03-15-2014 at 02:17 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Ignoring "lifetime fill" fallacies, supposed (new) 2014 & tranny fluid change don't add up either.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Spijun, thanks a million for the diagrams. Yes, the Q5 is a '14 model and I will definitely sound like a lunatic for having asked that question on a new vehicle. But, no worries.

Long story short, I have never taken any of my past & current (excluding the Q5)vehicles to a mechanic except for body work and putting tires on. But, never having owned a DSG 8spd is something that I rather approach with 100% caution. I won't work on much of the items as I use to since it is quite hilarious on how far Audi went to prevent Joes from tampering with it, and I don't want surprises along the way.

But, to perform lubrication changes, IMHO is a must. Whether I end up doing it myself or having a mech perform the job. It's not so much of who does it, but how much I can do and gain enjoyment from doing it. Last note before I open a pandora's box; no matter if drivers are using Red Line, Purple, or any top lubricants, oil breaks down with use.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks winL for asking the question and Spijun for the official procedure. (I was going to ask the question myself a few years from now.)

I plan to follow the transmission manufacturer's guidelines (ZF) and not Audi. They say change it every 80,000-120,000 km (50,000-75,000 mi), or 8 years.

http://www.zf.com/brands/content/en/...hange-oil.html

(Edit: Looks the ZF link is talking 5HP and 6HP, but I can't imagine the change interval would be much different for the 8HP.)

Don't think it's *that* much of a bother to do drain-and-fills on the tranny pan every 50,000 miles for the piece of mind. Doing it twice (a week apart or so) should get most of the fluid swapped out. Biggest thing is just using the right fluid and following the fluid temp instructions so one doesn't overfill or underfill the transmission. I already have a HEX-CAN VCDS for the temp check. Others on the 'net use a fluid temp probe.

I always love how manufacturers (and not just Audi) say words to the effect "don't change the fluid unless a repair is done." Well geez guys, if you'd recommend changing the fluid (be it ATF, coolant or whatever), maybe wouldn't need the premature repair in the first place.

Spijun, thanks again for your awesome help to the forum.

Last edited by brutus23079; 03-16-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by winL
Spijun, thanks a million for the diagrams. Yes, the Q5 is a '14 model and I will definitely sound like a lunatic for having asked that question on a new vehicle. But, no worries.

Long story short, I have never taken any of my past & current (excluding the Q5)vehicles to a mechanic except for body work. But, never having owned a DSG 8spd is something that I rather approach with 100% caution. I won't work on much of the items as I use to since it is quite hilarious on how far Audi went to prevent Joes from tampering with it, and I don't want surprises along the way.

But, to perform lubrication changes, IMHO is a must. Whether I end up doing it myself or having a mech perform the job. It's not so much of who does it, but how much I can do and gain enjoyment from doing it. Last note before I open a pandora's box; no matter if drivers are using Red Line, Purple, or any top lubricants, oil breaks down with use.
DSG? US Q5s do not have DSG. It's a traditional torque-converter auto tranny
Old 03-16-2014, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mark P
DSG? US Q5s do not have DSG. It's a traditional torque-converter auto tranny
Whoops! Sorry on that.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you're interested, everything about 8-Speed ​​Automatic Transmission:

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/produ...nsmission.html
http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/produ...smission.shtml
http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/produ...nsumption.html
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...news/130809908
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission#Audi
Old 03-16-2014, 09:08 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by brutus23079
Thanks winL for asking the question and Spijun for the official procedure. (I was going to ask the question myself a few years from now.)

I plan to follow the transmission manufacturer's guidelines (ZF) and not Audi. They say change it every 80,000-120,000 km (50,000-75,000 mi), or 8 years.

http://www.zf.com/brands/content/en/...hange-oil.html

(Edit: Looks the ZF link is talking 5HP and 6HP, but I can't imagine the change interval would be much different for the 8HP.)

Don't think it's *that* much of a bother to do drain-and-fills on the tranny pan every 50,000 miles for the piece of mind. Doing it twice (a week apart or so) should get most of the fluid swapped out. Biggest thing is just using the right fluid and following the fluid temp instructions so one doesn't overfill or underfill the transmission. I already have a HEX-CAN VCDS for the temp check. Others on the 'net use a fluid temp probe.

I always love how manufacturers (and not just Audi) say words to the effect "don't change the fluid unless a repair is done." Well geez guys, if you'd recommend changing the fluid (be it ATF, coolant or whatever), maybe wouldn't need the premature repair in the first place.

Spijun, thanks again for your awesome help to the forum.
Below is an email exchange I had with ZF regarding my concerns about so-called lifetime fluid fills. I find it more than a coincidence that Audi's vehicle warranty period matches exactly the start point of what the transmission manufacturer suggests as the fluid change interval. The excerpt is from a thread I started on this very topic about a year and a half ago: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=rez

My email
We have just purchased a 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T with the 8 spd ZF transmission. Audi does not recommend changing transmission fluid, however, I am concerned that with extreme cold conditions in Canada it would be a good idea to change the fluid at some point. Do you have a tech reference for how to change the oil in the Audi version of the ZF 8HP? Thanks in advance,

ZF's reply

Hello Mr. ---,

generally we suggest to change the oil between 80.000km and 120.00km. Attached you can find our
official list of lubricants (TE-ML11) with the necessary information about, when to change the oil and
what kind of oil you should use. The second document shows you how to change the oil. But, please
be careful, because you need any kind of tester to read out the temperature while you change the oil.
If the temperature is not correct, you could damage your transmission!
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind regards
-----
ZF Services
Technische Projekte / Technical Projects

ZF Friedrichshafen AG
Untertürkheimer Straße 4, 66117 Saarbrücken, Deutschland/Germany
Telefon/Phone +
-----@zf.com
www.zf.com

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Prof. Dr. Giorgio Behr
Vorstand/Board of Management: Hans-Georg Härter (Vorsitzender/CEO), Reinhard Buhl, Jürgen Holeksa, Rolf Lutz, Dr. Peter Ottenbruch, Dr. Michael Paul, Dr. Konstantin Sauer, Dr. Stefan Sommer, Dr. Gerhard Wagner
Sitz/Headquarters: Friedrichshafen
Handelsregistereintrag Amtsgericht Ulm HRB 630206/Trade register of the municipal court of Ulm HRB 630206

Quick Reply: Q5 transmission fill and drain plug location