Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Transmission Malfunction

Old 08-23-2014, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you haven't contacted AoA yet, I recommend you do. You should be in another Q5 as a loaner, not a Toyota. Let them know that your chronicling your experience on AudiWorld.com and that this is your 1st Audi (first impressions matter). AoA should help you out and make you a happy customer.

Keep us posted and Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2014, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dcl23
Since I bought my 2015 Q5, it has spent more time at the service department then it did in my possession. I don't expect to hear anything more from Audi until next week at the earliest, so I have essentially spent $50,000 and turned over the keys to my old car so that Audi can rent me a base model Toyota, which laughably, Audi is trying to tell me is a comparable car to the Q5.
Please feel free to slam the stealership with whom you've had this lovely experience. I'm sure others in your area would appreciate the avoidance heads-up.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Status Update

Originally Posted by - B -
If you haven't contacted AoA yet, I recommend you do. You should be in another Q5 as a loaner, not a Toyota. Let them know that your chronicling your experience on AudiWorld.com and that this is your 1st Audi (first impressions matter). AoA should help you out and make you a happy customer.

Keep us posted and Good Luck!
Update - It's been 18 days since my transmission malfunction. The good news is that I am now back in a loaner Q5. Unfortunately, I am still waiting for a replacement Q5 from Audi - hopefully sometime this week. I still don't have any clear diagnosis on what the problem was with my vehicle. Hoping this saga will be over soon and I can start enjoying my new Q5.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQive
Please feel free to slam the stealership with whom you've had this lovely experience. I'm sure others in your area would appreciate the avoidance heads-up.
Everyone at my local dealership has been terrific - I don't hold them accountable for the faulty transmission. Navigating corporate to get to a satisfactory resolution has been the biggest headache, not to mention the fact that the joy and excitement of my new car purchase lasted less than 48 hours. I am now in a loaner Q5 from my dealer and waiting for the arrival of my replacement Q5.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update - It's been 18 days since my transmission malfunction. The good news is that I am now back in a loaner Q5. Unfortunately, I am still waiting for a replacement Q5 from Audi - hopefully sometime this week. I still don't have any clear diagnosis on what the problem was with my vehicle. Hoping this saga will be over soon and I can start enjoying my new Q5.
I'm glad to hear that some progress has been made. I'm sure it's difficult for them to source the exact same specs in another Q5, which is probably the reason for the delay, but if they get you the replacement Q5 this week, that is still rather quick.

Thanks for keeping us posted. I hope they resolve this for you soon and make you happy customer.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's great news!

Don't expect an answer on what went wrong with the tranny... I never got one. And without that I was never about to accept the vehicle back. They also had it 24 days and lemon law here is 30. Good news is that if your tranny has never had an issue, they've proven to be very reliable over the years... just wouldn't want to trust a vehicle that had a known issue -- the replacement ran around $12-13k for parts and labor!!!
Old 09-18-2014, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

For those of you that are interested to know how this story ends (or at least the next chapter)...

About 5 weeks after purchasing my 2015 Q5, Audi provided me with an identical replacement. I've only driven it about 230 miles - most of it in traffic - but it's lasted longer than my first Q5! It's been a hassle and certainly tarnished the excitement of a new car, but I give Audi credit for trying to make the best of a bad situation. Ultimately, I received a new Q5, and Audi agreed to pay for AudiCare and extend the manufacturer warranty an additional 2 years/24,000 to help restore my confidence in the quality of their vehicles. Only time will tell if I'm "happy" with my decision, but so far so good. I doubt I'll ever find out what caused the transmission malfunction...maybe I'll see someone else driving my extremely lightly used first Q5 (with a new transmission) in the area...

I'm sure I'll have questions as I get used to the Q5, and I look forward to sharing Audi experiences with this community.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you that are interested to know how this story ends (or at least the next chapter)...

About 5 weeks after purchasing my 2015 Q5, Audi provided me with an identical replacement. I've only driven it about 230 miles - most of it in traffic - but it's lasted longer than my first Q5! It's been a hassle and certainly tarnished the excitement of a new car, but I give Audi credit for trying to make the best of a bad situation. Ultimately, I received a new Q5, and Audi agreed to pay for AudiCare and extend the manufacturer warranty an additional 2 years/24,000 to help restore my confidence in the quality of their vehicles. Only time will tell if I'm "happy" with my decision, but so far so good. I doubt I'll ever find out what caused the transmission malfunction...maybe I'll see someone else driving my extremely lightly used first Q5 (with a new transmission) in the area...

I'm sure I'll have questions as I get used to the Q5, and I look forward to sharing Audi experiences with this community.
Sounds like a happy ending at least! May this Q5 be rock-solid for you. All's well that ends well?
Old 09-18-2014, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm glad it all worked out at the end. Rough start but wishing you smooth sailing ahead!
Old 10-07-2014, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi dcl23,
I just bought a brand new 2015 Q5 as well and noticed the car jerks as it downshifts when I am coming to a full stop. I dropped if off at the dealership today and the checked it out and said it has the latest software and there is really nothing they can do. I am super disappointed as this is my first luxury car. I wrote an email to Audi corporate but don't know what to expect from them. I was wondering if you have had any luck with yours.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q5 Transmission Malfunction