Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Transmission Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by runner61
Hi dcl23,
I just bought a brand new 2015 Q5 as well and noticed the car jerks as it downshifts when I am coming to a full stop. I dropped if off at the dealership today and the checked it out and said it has the latest software and there is really nothing they can do. I am super disappointed as this is my first luxury car. I wrote an email to Audi corporate but don't know what to expect from them. I was wondering if you have had any luck with yours.
The issues that I had were much more severe than rough downshifting, and Audi agreed to replace my vehicle as it required a new transmission. I've had my replacement Q5 for about 3 weeks, and I have recently turned over 1,000 miles. It is much, much, better than my first experience. I find the transmission to operate the smoothest in the Dynamic driving mode, and maybe I'm just getting used to it, but I do think it's gotten a little better over the few week break in period. In Comfort mode, I do find the downshifting a little rough as slower speeds. Feel free to private message me and I can share more about my experience if you'd like.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AUDI Q5 3.0TDI Auto, I had car in dealer regarding a gearbox issue,they advise me it needs a new transmission because they say the oil is black and has a burnt smell ! They also advise that no internal parts are available from Audi except for clutches ! Fault The car is sometimes slow to move in reverse and also a jerky gear change at very low speed like coming to a junction !
Old 10-11-2014, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I suppose a defective transmission or drivetrain in general like this, will fail very quickly. So I guess there's something to be said for buying a car off a lot with 50 miles or so on it...
Old 10-13-2014, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by plugger1
AUDI Q5 3.0TDI Auto, I had car in dealer regarding a gearbox issue,they advise me it needs a new transmission because they say the oil is black and has a burnt smell ! They also advise that no internal parts are available from Audi except for clutches ! Fault The car is sometimes slow to move in reverse and also a jerky gear change at very low speed like coming to a junction !
Sorry to hear that - what year is your Q5, and how many miles do you have on the odometer? Keep us posted regarding the outcome.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dcl23
The issues that I had were much more severe than rough downshifting, and Audi agreed to replace my vehicle as it required a new transmission. I've had my replacement Q5 for about 3 weeks, and I have recently turned over 1,000 miles. It is much, much, better than my first experience. I find the transmission to operate the smoothest in the Dynamic driving mode, and maybe I'm just getting used to it, but I do think it's gotten a little better over the few week break in period. In Comfort mode, I do find the downshifting a little rough as slower speeds. Feel free to private message me and I can share more about my experience if you'd like.
Hi. So I wrote to AoA and explained the issue and they called the dealership I went to and apparently the dealership had told them my car is fine so they can't really do anything for me since the car is performing to manufacturer specs. I still think if they modify the software, this issue would go away. I wonder what your experience is with your replaced Q5 when you are slowing down at about 15-16 mph...because if this is not in every Audi it implies there is something wrong with my car and they have to fix it.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi. So I wrote to AoA and explained the issue and they called the dealership I went to and apparently the dealership had told them my car is fine so they can't really do anything for me since the car is performing to manufacturer specs. I still think if they modify the software, this issue would go away. I wonder what your experience is with your replaced Q5 when you are slowing down at about 15-16 mph...because if this is not in every Audi it implies there is something wrong with my car and they have to fix it.

Thanks.
I now have 1300 miles on my new Q5. I still find the downshifting at low speeds (approaching 20mph and under) to be a little abrupt. I think it has gotten better over time, but honestly, it's hard for me to say whether it has gotten smoother or I'm just getting used to it and don't notice it as much. While I was waiting for my Q5, I had a '14 Q5 loaner from my dealer that I drove for about 2 weeks. I found that transmission to be similar. I don't want to advise you that it simply is what it is, because your issue may be more severe and you should be happy with your new vehicle. Would your dealer let you borrow one of their comparably equipped Q5s to drive for a day or two? If it performs better, then I would say there is an issue with your particular vehicle.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've had my 2015 Q5 for 3 months now. Nothing to report and really love driving the car. I have the TDI and at slow speeds it seems the engine actually provides some braking when slowing to a stop. Transmission has been fine. Sorry that some of you have had this issue. I have had a dodge minivan (1996) so I know what an ordeal it can be when a transmission starts acting up. Good luck with your new Q5.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I think there was a similar post from someone about a 2014 maybe 6? months ago, and they convinced Audi to replace the entire vehicle. Which is extraordinary, but there are probably reasons why that happened. Check the threads, and your state lemon laws.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

congratulations, hoping that i have the same outcome as yours... i too am not a fan of a new car with a replaced transmission, fingers crossed that I too dont have to get lawyers involved in the process.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24617575
Old 11-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks.
Hello runner61: I just got a 2015 Q5 2.0T on Nov 4 (it arrived at dealership on Nov 1) and the transmission is very smooth when downshifting and coming to stop. Perhaps Audi has made a recent software change for the transmission ?

(After reading about dcl23's experience at the 48 hour mark, I'm in "fear and anxiety" mode as I approach the 48 hour mark.)

Quick Reply: Q5 Transmission Malfunction