Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 vs. Cayenne: Long-Term Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 03:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 vs. Cayenne: Long-Term Reliability

Hi folks. New to Audi and new to the Audiworld. I'm a longtime 4Runner owner, really love the old 3rd gen model, they were so solid... but my '98 has 185k on it and it's time to get something a little more up to date. The newer 4Runners don't interest me, so I'm looking at Q5s and Cayennes.

I'm looking in the 2008-2010 range, 3.2 V6 in the Q5 and 3.6 V6 in the Cayenne. Given that I'll probably end up getting one with 75-100k on it, how do the two compare in terms of higher mileage reliability? I'd be looking to hang on to it until 125-150k or so and then move it along. Thoughts?
Old 07-26-2016, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious, but have you ever owned a high mileage German car? Coming from a typical Japanese make, that may be a bit of a shocker for you.

Personally, I'd stay away from a high mileage 3.2. Not sure about the 3.6 in cayenne.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away from the 3.2 Q5 -- they have major architectural engine flaws -- carbon buildup. You'll want at least a 2013 model (3.0) if you want to go that route.

It is why the 3.2's are so cheap.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a '14 Q5 TDI, as well as a '12 Cayenne S (before which I had a '14 Cayenne V6). The Q5 has given me practically no issues (Dieselgate excluded), my V6 Cayenne was a total lemon, but my CPO '12 S has been issue-free. I realize these aren't the specific years you're talking about, but thought I'd throw in my $0.02
Old 07-26-2016, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have statistics that back up the idea that German cars are less reliable than Japanese cars long-term? It's going to be hard for the OP to make any real determination from just anecdotal evidence on these forums.

I think you can pretty definitively say that a German car is going to cost you more to repair when issues do come up. For that reason alone, I'd be hesitant to buy a high mileage Audi and even more so a high mileage Porsche.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

From their Owner Surveys, Consumer Reports rates the Predicted Reliability of both Better Than Average. The Q5 shows 6 model years in the rating, while the Cayenne has 2 model years.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by marnes
Stay away from the 3.2 Q5 -- they have major architectural engine flaws -- carbon buildup. You'll want at least a 2013 model (3.0) if you want to go that route.

It is why the 3.2's are so cheap.
No problems w/ ours- after 60K miles, driven mostly in stop-and-go traffic.
I wonder if the so -called "carbon build-up problem" is exaggerated by a few posters, because in my experience the Q5 was quite reliable w/ very few problems.
Another thing to consider is that Audi and Porsche share many components like door locks, fuel pumps, window lift motors, etc.- when the door lock in our Q5 broke, I got a replacement that said "Porsche" on the box but was the same p/n as VW and Audi.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I wish Lexus made a more attractive mid-sized SUV so I could stay in the Toyota family.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by riceboy22
Does anyone have statistics that back up the idea that German cars are less reliable than Japanese cars long-term? It's going to be hard for the OP to make any real determination from just anecdotal evidence on these forums.

I think you can pretty definitively say that a German car is going to cost you more to repair when issues do come up. For that reason alone, I'd be hesitant to buy a high mileage Audi and even more so a high mileage Porsche.
That's what I don't understand... People like to say that German cars are a pain in the *** and are always in the shop when they get older blah blah blah. But stats don't exactly say that. They arent perfect but they arent awful. Like you said, what stats do say is that they're expensive to repair when issues do arise. I'm in the market for a luxury suv right now and the hideous designs that Lexus has been putting out (not that they were anything to write home about to begin with) are awful. I've been doing research and all I see is conflicting information (usually anecdotal evidence). Some saying, "as long as you take care of them they'll take care of you" and others saying "I wouldn't own a kraut out of warranty" or "ditch it before the warranty runs out". And then we have stats (which I prefer to go by, and they suggest that a good number of European makes out-perform american brands in that department. Go figure.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by falconcry
Thanks for the feedback, folks. I wish Lexus made a more attractive mid-sized SUV so I could stay in the Toyota family.
I don't know if Mercedes is your thing but if it is, check out a pre-owned GLK 350. They are a Consumer Reports "good bet". Just don't get one with the 4matic all wheel drive system.

Quick Reply: Q5 vs. Cayenne: Long-Term Reliability