Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q7 Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a Cayenne diesel as a loaner a little over a year ago and had it for about 2 weeks. I had a generation 1 Cayenne S with air suspension and loved it. Towed a 22' enclosed aluminum trailer with it with no issues other than lack of vision from the mirrors when towing. Never found mirror extensions which would work.

Loved the diesel and that was a big part of me getting the Q5 TDI. Didn't want to wait for the Macan and didn't want the bigger size of the Cayenne, or the even bigger Q7. Been VERY happy with Q5 TDI... may be tempted by the Macan diesel when it finally arrives, but who knows?
Old 08-29-2014, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SQive
Don't forget the European Q7 with the 6L V12 TDI. It was the closest thing to an SQ7 that they've made. Of course, they stopped that. You're right about producing a 4.0TDI...so why haven't they? They have plenty of engine options that would work well in the Q7, so why not bring them to the U.S.?
I mean...WTF???
Presumably it's the usual issue related to cost in getting US certification for a particular model-engine-transmission combo and them not seeing getting enough buyers to make it worth it. If the Q7's selling well enough and they wouldn't woo too many new buyers (as people will still buy a Q7, just not as powerful of one), then the financial side's not there. For the "halo" cars they're usually okay with losing a little in the bargain as they do get some marketing value out of it, but the "regular" models get a bit shafted.

Originally Posted by skl1
I got a Cayenne diesel as a loaner a little over a year ago and had it for about 2 weeks. I had a generation 1 Cayenne S with air suspension and loved it. Towed a 22' enclosed aluminum trailer with it with no issues other than lack of vision from the mirrors when towing. Never found mirror extensions which would work.

Loved the diesel and that was a big part of me getting the Q5 TDI. Didn't want to wait for the Macan and didn't want the bigger size of the Cayenne, or the even bigger Q7. Been VERY happy with Q5 TDI... may be tempted by the Macan diesel when it finally arrives, but who knows?
Personally, I'm hoping that the Macan will use something like the RoW SQ5 twin-turbo TDI (of course Porsche likes to tweak the setups they get, but something similar). That way people can get the ultimate TDI Q5 if they want, and they aren't "compromising" as much since it'll still be awesome performance compared to the petrol Macans. Help get people less anti-diesel, too, if the Macan can show that Porsche's able to keep the track-like spirit even with what could be viewed as an "economy" engine.