Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Quattro and tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a pretty graphic, but not very informative if you really think about it. Where can I read about some actual independent test methodology and more quantifiable results behind this graph?

What is the definition of "Performance" in the above graph? What does 0% Performance Level mean?

Don't get me wrong. I don't advise anyone to drive on summer tires during winter, but everything is not as black and white as that graph would make you believe.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Expert

What they're saying and what they're depicting on those graphs just does not line up for me. For example, the graph makes it look as if winter tires actually get better the colder it gets. But that's really a misrepresentation of "winter tires feature special rubber compounds that stay soft at low temperatures." All this statement is really saying is that their performance is not affected by low temps. It does not mean that they somehow magically get better as the temps drop. Yet, the graph shows the winter tire line going straight up.

Winter tires actually have very good grip during summer too because their rubber becomes even softer, and soft rubber = grippy rubber. The only issue is they wear out very quickly.

Again, I see the point the graph is trying to convey, but they dumbed it down so much for the layman that it hurts my brain a little.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
That's a pretty graphic, but not very informative if you really think about it. Where can I read about some actual independent test methodology and more quantifiable results behind this graph?

What is the definition of "Performance" in the above graph? What does 0% Performance Level mean?

Don't get me wrong. I don't advise anyone to drive on summer tires during winter, but everything is not as black and white as that graph would make you believe.
It is your opinion
Maybe you know something better than hundreds of engineers working in the tire industry
Good luck

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24474677
Old 09-17-2014, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I'm just asking for clarification. Can you provide it? The graph is too generic to be of value to someone who knows a little more about tires than an average Joe. That's all I'm saying.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From personal experience, I've driven on summer tires in the 30s, and there was no drama, but only if the pavement was dry.
I concur. Temperature is important, but the amount and type of moisture is even more important. While a summer tire will feel hard and less responsive when cold, as long as there is no ice or snow you will be ok.
We typically have some cold days, but very little ice or snow. We will be sticking with the OEM Bridgestone summer tires.
Luckily my wife's office shuts down most of the time when there is ice, so she keeps her little unit at all toasty at home in the garage.

I have tested various rubber products with pressure at temps below 40F, and there is a very noticeable change. I have had to change my test setup and procedure to get things to work.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My summers will work fine on a dry road in 20 degree weather. you're right. but add some rain to the mix when it's 35 degrees and see how your traction is. just feel how hard and greasy the compound becomes.

tell me how wonderful your traction is when you need it and you dont have it.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just asking for clarification. Can you provide it? The graph is too generic to be of value to someone who knows a little more about tires than an average Joe. That's all I'm saying.
The cold weather compounds in winter tires cause them to be too sticky in the warmer conditions. I have found that on a warm late fall day or spring day when I have my winter tires on my car's handling is worse because the tires are too sticky. I expect a certain amount of slip and that it is progressive and controllable. With the wrong tire for the conditions I find myself unable to predict when the tire will let go. Ultimately it's up to you, but that's how I justify the annual switch to winter tires.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Just a reminder that opinions are fine but arguments in the forums are not. Please keep it civil.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Just a reminder that opinions are fine but arguments in the forums are not. Please keep it civil.
Thank you, I apologize if I offended anyone
Old 09-19-2014, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. So, getting the impression I should definitely put the regular 18s back on for winter
BOOO... UGLY WHEELS.

Thanks y'all