Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Question SQ5 vs Q5

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question SQ5 vs Q5

Hey guys, I know there are a few threads about this, but my topic is slightly different than what I have found here. We are looking at the Q5 and SQ5 for my wife, it would be her daily driver- my wife wants to wait for the new technology that the A4 (B9) just got, so we are looking at a little bit of a wait before we buy. My question is this, for my wife, and her daily driver, is it worth going to the SQ5? If we get the Q5, it would be fully loaded, same with the SQ5- Since the redesigns aren't out yet I can only speculate on costs and performance, do you guys (with obviously more experience than I) have any thoughts or opinions?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the best thing to do initially is for her to test drive both versions of the current generation and see how each feels to her and would probably meet her needs and preferences. Then when the new gen arrives you'll both have an an idea of where to start.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

The SQ5 is a great car, but realistically, a Q5 3.0T is probably enough.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
The SQ5 is a great car, but realistically, a Q5 3.0T is probably enough.
+1.

You'll likely save between 7-10k, lose the bigger brakes and higher performance engine ECU, from 4 tailpipes to 2, etc.

However, you will probably lose the eTurbo as well -- that tech has never been in a production car before, so it's hot off the presses and will launch in the upcoming SQ7 and it will also be in the SQ5. I would consider that risky tech and the extra expense of going from a 12V to 48V electrical system.

The performance differences (and likely price) in the redesigned SQ5 vs Q5 seem bigger than the outgoing gen.

If I were to venture a guess, I'm betting the B9 S4 is also going to get the eTurbo, hence it's launch delay. Still can't even configure those on the German site and they were supposed to be out by now.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

What is her DD now? If it is a high performance vehicle then she might prefer the additional ooomph of the SQ5 over the 3.0T? If she is coming from a lower powered vehicle then the 3.0T would likely seem more than enough.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

She is currently in a Rav4 (she brought it into the marriage) and now that it is her turn to upgrade she wants to upgrade into the Audi SUV series, the Q5/SQ5 is the size that makes the most sense for us.

As for test driving, we actually are planning on doing that in about two weeks (we will be out of town the next two weekends when we normally have time for it) so we can see if she wants to extra power, or if she likes it etc.

Having never owned an SUV (I always have had cars like the A4) I just wasn't sure if there were any other factors I should look for while comparing the Q5 and SQ5 (things like what @marnes pointed out)

Thanks for all the advice! any additional insights or thoughts would be greatly appreciated- Those that opted for the Q5, what options are absolutely worth it?
Old 07-19-2016, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well in the new designs, you'll likely want to get the trim that gives you the Virtual Cockpit because, awesome!

I've heard that the base audio system isn't very good (new Q7 complaints) and worth upgrading. If you are into the picking your interior mood light color, you'll want the top trim (Technik in Canada, or Prestige in USA). Any trims below that are not customizable, and some people didn't realize it until it they received their car. Finally, don't go for rear entertainment. The Audi one's are terrible and pricey. But definitely consider getting prewired for support for iPads. It's an inexpensive option that is rather regretful if skipped.

I think audio, mood lighting, and prewiring are the frequent ones that can be confused or overlooked.

Also if you test drive the 3.0 first, she'll likely be super happy with it. But if you also test drive the SQ5, then there's no going back. There's just something very special about that engine. Also note that the current Q5s are supercharged -- which are gas guzzlers but good performers. The new ones will be turbocharged which are far more economical but can suffer from lag, but that's where the eTurbo comes in.

Even the lowest 2.0L engine on the Q5 will be a significant upgrade to the performance on a RAV4. You'll really notice the build quality differences. We have a CRV right now, and things like the Q5 seats fold down perfectly flat and lock and the rear cargo area is laid out better than any other car I've seen -- perfectly square and flat. So even if cargo is slightly less, it's still better.

That said, the outgoing Q5s are technological dinosaurs. The nav screens are tiny and very dated. Also why I'm waiting for the new ones to come out.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't bother with the 2.0. I did at first (a 2016) and then tuned it and 8 months later I still was not happy with the performance. Took a small hit on trade and got fair price on a new 2015 SQ5 Exclusive which I should have done from the beginning. With a tunes the Q5 3.0 and SQ5 will have the same power except for brakes and suspension.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fleeb
She is currently in a Rav4 (she brought it into the marriage) and now that it is her turn to upgrade she wants to upgrade into the Audi SUV series, the Q5/SQ5 is the size that makes the most sense for us.

As for test driving, we actually are planning on doing that in about two weeks (we will be out of town the next two weekends when we normally have time for it) so we can see if she wants to extra power, or if she likes it etc.

Having never owned an SUV (I always have had cars like the A4) I just wasn't sure if there were any other factors I should look for while comparing the Q5 and SQ5 (things like what @marnes pointed out)

Thanks for all the advice! any additional insights or thoughts would be greatly appreciated- Those that opted for the Q5, what options are absolutely worth it?
Unless you and your wife are dead set on a CUV, you might take a look at the new Allroad which will be available this fall with all of the new tech, and engine, of the B9 A4. Since it's a low volume model here in the U.S. it is more unique than the high volume Q5.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by marnes
Well in the new designs, you'll likely want to get the trim that gives you the Virtual Cockpit because, awesome!

I've heard that the base audio system isn't very good (new Q7 complaints) and worth upgrading. If you are into the picking your interior mood light color, you'll want the top trim (Technik in Canada, or Prestige in USA). Any trims below that are not customizable, and some people didn't realize it until it they received their car. Finally, don't go for rear entertainment. The Audi one's are terrible and pricey. But definitely consider getting prewired for support for iPads. It's an inexpensive option that is rather regretful if skipped.

I think audio, mood lighting, and prewiring are the frequent ones that can be confused or overlooked.

Also if you test drive the 3.0 first, she'll likely be super happy with it. But if you also test drive the SQ5, then there's no going back. There's just something very special about that engine. Also note that the current Q5s are supercharged -- which are gas guzzlers but good performers. The new ones will be turbocharged which are far more economical but can suffer from lag, but that's where the eTurbo comes in.

Even the lowest 2.0L engine on the Q5 will be a significant upgrade to the performance on a RAV4. You'll really notice the build quality differences. We have a CRV right now, and things like the Q5 seats fold down perfectly flat and lock and the rear cargo area is laid out better than any other car I've seen -- perfectly square and flat. So even if cargo is slightly less, it's still better.

That said, the outgoing Q5s are technological dinosaurs. The nav screens are tiny and very dated. Also why I'm waiting for the new ones to come out.

After her seeing the new virtual cockpit in the new A4's that was the end to that discussion, and she will have that for sure, and I agree with that. She also wants to changeable interior lighting so both valid points. My wife loves her music and, as a result, the upgraded system is on her list of wants- I hadnt even thought about getting it pre-wired, we wouldnt have gone with rear entertainment, but having it prewired is a great point! I told her when we test drive to drive the 3.0 first, and then the SQ5, but also warned her the incoming series will be a different animal (I have done a fair amount of research into the new engines they are using, since I will be wanting the S4 in a couple years)

My wife grew up with all the nicest things (perks of having a father who was CEO of a large company) so her RAV4 was a downgrade to her, and she is ready to take the step back up.

Quick Reply: Question SQ5 vs Q5