Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rear Ended - Q5 Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
I think the coulomb counter is technically software running on the ECU, which depends on a conventional shunt in that assembly for data. One good location for both, but separate plugs. Shunt wires don't like sharing.

Ages ago a friend of mine had a Fox wagon. Nice car. And one night calls me "I'm about 1/2 mile from home, the car won't run". It turns out that the alternator had blown (requiring a then un-heard-of huge metric socket to access) and the exotic fuel injection system was counting pulses from the alternator to determine engine speed. So, no alternator output? Then we must be parked, shut the fuel supply and turn the engine off.

Yeah...Audi has never considered "limp home mode" to be a useful option. What the hell, you can always call the dealer, 24x7, and they'll bring you a new one, right?

I foolishly thought the corporate mindset might have grown a little since then. My bad.
The battery coulomb counter is not part of the ECU, it's a standalone module located near the battery connected to the negative post. This module uses an IC, no need for old fashion shuts.

I also supplied you the wiring diagram for the battery igniter module. That is tied into the airbag control module, you probably need Audi engineering involved to find out if you pulled the plug to disable the igniter what are you also doing to the airbag controller.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Ended - Q5 Electrical Issues-bat4.jpg   Rear Ended - Q5 Electrical Issues-bat5.jpg  
Old 08-23-2016, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Shunt or microshunt (in the IC), all the same in the end. Where they put it and how they control the alternator, from the front or rear, is all the same black magic.(G) I really can't convince my browser to make the tiny print on the diagrams easy to read, and the question of air bag interaction is an interesting one. But from what I was told, there is a two-lead plug (plus and minus) that serves the sole purpose of firing off the pyrotechnic charge to blow that link. So, if that plug is disconnected, no power goes to the link, and it cannot be blown. That "shouldn't" have any conceivable effect on the airbags, which are getting a separate and independent signal to fire, unless some engineer really had a warped sense of humour.
That would be like the Three Stooges movie where they go to a mansion as plumbers, and manage to turn the (gas) chandelier into a water fountain.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Shunt or microshunt (in the IC), all the same in the end. Where they put it and how they control the alternator, from the front or rear, is all the same black magic.(G) I really can't convince my browser to make the tiny print on the diagrams easy to read, and the question of air bag interaction is an interesting one. But from what I was told, there is a two-lead plug (plus and minus) that serves the sole purpose of firing off the pyrotechnic charge to blow that link. So, if that plug is disconnected, no power goes to the link, and it cannot be blown. That "shouldn't" have any conceivable effect on the airbags, which are getting a separate and independent signal to fire, unless some engineer really had a warped sense of humour.
That would be like the Three Stooges movie where they go to a mansion as plumbers, and manage to turn the (gas) chandelier into a water fountain.
I just said that there "may" be interaction, not sure, probably no interaction. It just may throw an error DTC. Audi does strange things.
You go out and disconnect it and let us know????

To see the graphics larger, with Internet Explorer, just go to View/Zoom, select 300%

Simplified diagram..........
Attached Thumbnails Rear Ended - Q5 Electrical Issues-bat6.jpg  

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 08-23-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes, funny thing, as I zoom in larger, at some point they snap back smaller again. Go figure.