Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rear light out 1st day back from body shop

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear light out 1st day back from body shop

So today I got my Q5 back after it had been hit in my parking lot, while parked. The body shop put on a new bumper, and refinished the rear quarter panel, I picked it up at 5pm and when I was pulling it my driveway a dummy light went on saying the rear light was out. The seems like quite the coincidence, is this the body shops fault? Could of they messed something up with the wiring, causing it to blow a light? I need to call Audi and the body shop and get this resolved, any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old 07-26-2016, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Collisions often damage incandescent lamp filaments. In this case it seems likely that a connector was not attached correctly. The rear lamps in the bumper are incandescent bulbs. Often you can tap on the lens and they light again with the broken filament welding itself together for a little while anyway. You could play dumb and ask why the bulb wasn't replaced.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by josepeter22
So today I got my Q5 back after it had been hit in my parking lot, while parked. The body shop put on a new bumper, and refinished the rear quarter panel, I picked it up at 5pm and when I was pulling it my driveway a dummy light went on saying the rear light was out. The seems like quite the coincidence, is this the body shops fault? Could of they messed something up with the wiring, causing it to blow a light? I need to call Audi and the body shop and get this resolved, any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
You need to find out which of the real lights is not working: the small light bulb in the bumper or the "main" rear light cluster in the rear quarter panel which is LEDs and may be expensive to replace.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just bring it back to the body shop and ask them to check it out.

Bob
Old 07-28-2016, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Bob,

I just spoke with the body shop, they want me to bring it by. However, are body shops qualified to work on a newer Audi? This is my 3rd Audi, and one thing I do know, is that the wiring and electronics are highly sensitive.. Also, I looked for a light out last night, and could not find a light out. Why is the warning light going on, but no light actually out?

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,

I just spoke with the body shop, they want me to bring it by. However, are body shops qualified to work on a newer Audi? This is my 3rd Audi, and one thing I do know, is that the wiring and electronics are highly sensitive.. Also, I looked for a light out last night, and could not find a light out. Why is the warning light going on, but no light actually out?

Thanks for your input.
In the owners manual for my 2014 it says the the lamp malfunction indicator is supposed tell you the location of the failed bulb. Maybe "rear lamp" is as precise as it gets. You have 2 license lamps, the high mount stop lamp that may be out but not that apparent at first glance. If they had to replace a bulb because it was burned out I think you want to make sure its the same wattage as the original. I tend to look for the most likely problem like a burnt out bulb or one that is not tight or seated properly before jumping to wiring problems. Have a second individual work the brakes, turn signals, head lights, fog lights while you stand back there and watch. You also have back-up lamps and side marker lamps in the rear bumper. I don't think I've seen that many lights on the back of a vehicle since "Close Encounters of The 3rd Kind"

https://i.imgur.com/sVBGqvc.mp4

Good Luck and report back with your findings.

Bob
Old 07-29-2016, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Bob,

Thanks for your input.
Turn on your lights and open your hatch. You should now see the light that is out.
When the hatch is opened the lighting switches from your hatch to your bumper. Close your hatch it switches back to your hatch.
The bulb monitor system works if the light is turned on or not but not always right away.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Turn on your lights and open your hatch. You should now see the light that is out.
When the hatch is opened the lighting switches from your hatch to your bumper. Close your hatch it switches back to your hatch.
The bulb monitor system works if the light is turned on or not but not always right away.
You are welcome.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got it, it was the 921 little light on the very end, was very blown.. burnt to a crisp. All is good, I appreciate the advise, I would have never found that screw, I knew taking the entire bumper off to change a light bulb sounded ludicrous.