Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rear view mirror stuck on dim?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear view mirror stuck on dim?

As far as I can tell, the little button on the front of the rear view mirror does not do anything - the mirror appears very dim at all times, including broad daylight. Is there some setting somewhere that I need to change or is mine just broken?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could offer a solution. All I can say is that my wife and I experience the same with our SQ5. It seems very dark all the time. Combine that with the tinted back window and it's always nighttime behind us. Others experience this???
Old 10-31-2014, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are you holding the button down for a few seconds to cycle through the autodim setting?
Old 10-31-2014, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by ND40oz
Are you holding the button down for a few seconds to cycle through the autodim setting?
Holding the button down for a few seconds is used to activate/deactivate compass. The autodim setting adjustment should only require a quick press of the button.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Holding the button down for a few seconds is used to activate/deactivate compass. The autodim setting adjustment should only require a quick press of the button.
So does turning off and on the visible compass work or is that not working either?
Old 11-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by computerguy19
I wish I could offer a solution. All I can say is that my wife and I experience the same with our SQ5. It seems very dark all the time. Combine that with the tinted back window and it's always nighttime behind us. Others experience this???
In contrast to my prior vehicle I would agree that looking in the rear-view mirror things appear quite dark nearly all the time. I reviewed the manual and it mentions a "small lever on the bottom edge of the mirror" that can be moved to manually dim the mirror....I can not find this on my Q
Old 11-02-2014, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by ND40oz
So does turning off and on the visible compass work or is that not working either?
It does work.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by sn0wman72
I reviewed the manual and it mentions a "small lever on the bottom edge of the mirror" that can be moved to manually dim the mirror....I can not find this on my Q
That's only for cars that don't have auto dimming mirror.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
That's only for cars that don't have auto dimming mirror.
And mine is auto dimming
Old 11-11-2014, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

There's a little green LED on my mirror, to the side of the switch. Press the switch and release, the green LED goes on or off, indicating the auto-dimming is on or off. If you have no green LED, there's probably a power failure in the mirror.

Personally I hate auto-dimming mirrors, I've never met one that worked as well as simply flipping the lever.

If you actually use your compass? Check the manual for the calibration procedure. My car arrived with the compass deviation set one zone off, incorrectly.

Quick Reply: Rear view mirror stuck on dim?