Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Recommendation for Clear Bra installer in Dallas??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendation for Clear Bra installer in Dallas??

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good (and somewhat reasonable) clear bra installer in the Dallas area? I'm partial to Xpel if that matters.

Thanks!

Last edited by carguyrob; 08-25-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If you're going to go with XPEL we have installers located in Dallas and Denton

XPEL DALLAS<div style="border:1px solid #990000;padding-left:20px;margin:0 0 10px 0;"> <h4>A PHP Error was encountered</h4> <p>Severity: Notice</p> <p>Message: Undefined index: HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE</p> <p>Filename: libraries/Localization.php</p> <p>Line Number:
Old 08-26-2015, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by carguyrob
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good (and somewhat reasonable) clear bra installer in the Dallas area? I'm partial to Xpel if that matters.

Thanks!
It wont let me edit the post, ill send it in a PM
Old 08-27-2015, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Speed shield!!
Old 08-29-2015, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

What do you guys typically charge for 18" full application?
Old 08-31-2015, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Romanzz
What do you guys typically charge for 18" full application?
Your best bet is to call the installer directly and ask him, as it depends on the area and what car/coverage you're going to get...

For a partial front end. This includes 18-24” up the hood and fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $795 - $1,000.
Name:  Bikini.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  64.7 KB

For a full front it can range between from $1,795 - $2,100. This includes the entire hood and front fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights.
Name:  Full Hood.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  64.6 KB

For the full car it can range between from $5,000 - $8,000. This includes every painted surface on the car possible.
Name:  Complete Car.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  66.2 KB
Old 09-02-2015, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am utterly surprised how much clear bras cost in the Dallas area. I have had clear bra installed on my last 5 cars in the Chicago area and never paid this much. The first three cars were 3M clear bra with 24" up the hood, bumper, fenders and mirrors for $550. The fourth car was Xpel Ultimate with 24" kit (same coverage) for $600. The most recent car in spring of this year was Xpel Ultimate on a full hood, bumpers, full fenders, mirrors, a-pillars, headlights, door handle cups and rear bumper top for $1200.

I am down in Dallas and it is running $900 for a 24" kit with bumper, fenders and mirrors. This is 50% higher than what I have paid in the past.

What gives?
Old 09-02-2015, 05:12 PM
els
Audiworld Junior Member

@carguyrob - I can share my experience with you. You may remember me - we have same exterior color on our SQ5's. Anyway, the dealer offered me 3M film for about $500-600 and I turned him down since I wanted to try Xpel. I checked around and selected an installer who at the time indicated he has the experience as well as pictures to back up. I called Xpel to verify that the particular installer is an authorized dealer and Xpel confirmed he is but did not elaborate further. Due to work schedule, I could not take my SQ5 to installer's shop and he offered to come and take it however I don't trust strangers to drive my SQ5 so I had a family member take it to the shop while I was at work. It turned out he was operating out of tiny 1-car garage shop in a very large apartment complex. The family member had mixed feelings about leaving SQ5 there but since I wasn't available at the time so my SQ5 was left there for 2 days (Xpel and Opticoat). When I came to pick it up - I was already aware it was at apartment complex and I wasn't too thrilled. I saw my SQ5 I thought there was some kind of joke - the film was installed poorly - it was absolutely horrible. The installer said he had applied opticoat but would like to get it again to re-do the film on some areas. I told him I cannot leave SQ5 there and he offered mobile service so he can do it at my house. So, we schedule a date for him to come and re-do the work. I have cameras in my garage as well as the driveway so I was able to observe him while I was working in my office. He removed the film from the hood, lower bumper, and mirrors and installed new film on these areas. When he was done he took it out of the garage and I came out to check. It was only slightly better. I pointed out the issues and he saw there was a large bubble on the hood he went to get syringe to attempt to remove the bubble. I told him to stop and we will have to discuss further; and I had to get on a conference call. I saw him driving SQ5 back into the garage and proceeded to remove the film from hood and mirrors. At the time, I thought he would be done with it and wait for me but he went ahead and installed film for the third time. After my conference call ended, I went to the garage and asked him why he went ahead and install film again without my permission and it wasn't any better than second install. I asked him again how many vehicles he has installed PFF he finally admitted "about 10 cars". I sent pictures to Xpel rep and spoke with the rep he suggested names of reputable installers and the guy who did first 3 installs came back to remove since I told him I was taking it to another installer. I guess he was embarrassed to have another installer see his work. He removed the film on the hood and mirrors; and thought the rest looked good. After the film was removed, my SQ5 was in the garage 4 days and when I took it out I noticed there was a dent on the hood which wasn't very noticeable but it is there. I informed the installer about the dent and he denied that he caused it. He refused to pay for the damage. I was pretty angry with him and told him the dent did not materialize on its own. I had to take it to dent repair facility and the guy did a really great job then a different PFF installer. He inspected the film on other areas that were not removed and showed me flaws so he proceeded to remove all of them and re-did all. The results were astounding.

The bottom line is I am not certain if Xpel was worth it - the dealer could have taken care of it with 3M film. The drama involved took the fun out of the new car purchase. I'm kind of still livid thinking about it. I certainly did not pay the first installer to experiment on my SQ5. I can't stress enough to do vetting and find out how long the installer has been authorized dealer and so forth.

As far as cost goes, the first installer wanted around $1100 while second installer only charged a little less than $800 (for same work). I have 24" on hood, fenders, entire bumper including headlights and fog lights, mirrors, door handles, and top of rear bumper.

I certainly hope you will have better luck!

Last edited by els; 09-02-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have had clear bra installed for 18+ years. Doesn't matter what brand of film you install it matters who the installer is. I have seen horror jobs done by other installers. My guy who I have used for 18 years installs a couple of different brands now. He is a big 3M guy and I have always liked it , but this time around he installed Llumar on my SQ5. I wasn't worried because I knew he would redo it with 3M if I didn't like it. All I can say is WOW!! I love the Llumar. It is very smooth and crystal clear. It has been on the car for almost 2 years this November and it looks great. But either way it's all in the installer not the film. XPel can say they are a certified installer but I am sure it's just a minimal class they take in order to buy product from them.

Last edited by JBDinTX; 09-02-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by carguyrob
I am utterly surprised how much clear bras cost in the Dallas area. I have had clear bra installed on my last 5 cars in the Chicago area and never paid this much. The first three cars were 3M clear bra with 24" up the hood, bumper, fenders and mirrors for $550. The fourth car was Xpel Ultimate with 24" kit (same coverage) for $600. The most recent car in spring of this year was Xpel Ultimate on a full hood, bumpers, full fenders, mirrors, a-pillars, headlights, door handle cups and rear bumper top for $1200.

I am down in Dallas and it is running $900 for a 24" kit with bumper, fenders and mirrors. This is 50% higher than what I have paid in the past.

What gives?
Monopoly. Lol. Not many installers in the south. Here in Colorado pricing is about the same. I did spend $2000 on my SQ5 but I kinda went overboard.

Quick Reply: Recommendation for Clear Bra installer in Dallas??