Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 09:00 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Remote Starter Install - Who has one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 06:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Starter Install - Who has one?

Looking at installing a remote starter (Compustar with Drone) on my SQ5.

One reputable shop in town has done them before. Other reputable shop states same, but cautions that if you have problems you will be totally shut down and calling a tow truck should it fail.

I want one due to the northern winter we have. I had a Compustar before and it was flawless on an Acura.

1) Has anyone installed one on a SQ5 or Q5?
2) Which model of starter?
3) Have you had any issues with it?

Thanks.

Last edited by nickcdn; 09-04-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

very good topic. I would be interested to see some replies
Old 09-04-2014, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Maybe you should try search:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...start-2841859/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...2798823/page3/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...2823857/page4/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...2855484/page4/

Last edited by spijun; 09-04-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is not a lot of updated discussion on those posts so I hope some people respond to my queries. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2014, 08:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looking at installing a remote starter (Compustar with Drone) on my SQ5.

One reputable shop in town has done them before. Other reputable shop states same, but cautions that if you have problems you will be totally shut down and calling a tow truck should it fail.

I want one due to the northern winter we have. I had a Compustar before and it was flawless on an Acura.

1) Has anyone installed one on a SQ5 or Q5?
2) Which model of starter?
3) Have you had any issues with it?
Old 09-05-2014, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also would be interested to know if you do have one installed, for how many winters have you had? Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Nick-
Discussed that in passing with a major vendor while looking into alarm systems and remotes. They said there are modules which will make it work, but the authorized installer said there "can be issues" with Audis in general because of the great canbus, and they "might need to splice" some things to make it work.
Splicing can get problematic, I wouldn't touch it unless a vendor had a specific interface module for the car, and could guarantee it would work without "issues".
If you're using an engine block heater, that might be good enough. The heat comes up pretty quickly in these cars.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Nick-
Discussed that in passing with a major vendor while looking into alarm systems and remotes. They said there are modules which will make it work, but the authorized installer said there "can be issues" with Audis in general because of the great canbus, and they "might need to splice" some things to make it work.
Splicing can get problematic, I wouldn't touch it unless a vendor had a specific interface module for the car, and could guarantee it would work without "issues".
If you're using an engine block heater, that might be good enough. The heat comes up pretty quickly in these cars.
Yes I guess quick heat up would be good, but I was still hoping for remote start as I have been used to it for quite awhile.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, Audi-US says the earth would shake and the skies fall down if they enabled "remote down" for the windows, even though that option is in the car's computer. That of course is nice on a hot day to air it out before you get in.

But on the bright side, mainly due to a US Navy purchasing requirement dating back to WW2, all consumer vehicles today are pretty much fully warmed up and operational with full oil pressure, etc. within 20 seconds of startup. So I get in, I start it up, and then by the time I've buckled the seat belt and released the brake...the car is ready too.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Well, Audi-US says the earth would shake and the skies fall down if they enabled "remote down" for the windows, even though that option is in the car's computer. That of course is nice on a hot day to air it out before you get in.

But on the bright side, mainly due to a US Navy purchasing requirement dating back to WW2, all consumer vehicles today are pretty much fully warmed up and operational with full oil pressure, etc. within 20 seconds of startup. So I get in, I start it up, and then by the time I've buckled the seat belt and released the brake...the car is ready too.
Issue though is when it is -45 with the windchill, it is a huge benefit to have the vehicle warming up prior to entering.

Quick Reply: Remote Starter Install - Who has one?