Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Replace Sub?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ERPGURU
Just a note - took out the speaker, it is 6.5", measured it with my ohm meter, it is 6 ohms. I bought a JL 6W3V3-4, should be a direct replacement. It is 4 ohms so it should hit a little harder and pull more current. The other stock B&O amp in the S5 handled the drop in resistance fine so though should be ok.

I receive the sub later this week, let everyone know if it does improve the bottom end better...

John
I was looking at this sub online... Dangggggg it has a HUGE magnet!!!! :-). I noticed they also had the same sub but 8ohms instead of 4ohms.

What is the difference? Is it better to go with 8ohms if the factory sub is 6ohms? I don't understand the Ohm thing.

Thanks!!! GREAT POST BY THE WAY!!! I was quoted $1400 USD to have a custom 10" sub installed in the wheel housing.... I am SO GLAD YOU POSTED THIS!!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The 8ohm sub has more resistance compared to the 4ohm sub, thus demanding less work from the amplifier. I just bought a kicker, which has a mounting depth of a little less than 3". Hopfully the box will accomadate the depth. I found that the discontinued jl6w0 has a depth requirement of 3.5" but I opted for the kicker because of less depth and also because the kicker can handle 150 watts rms vs the jl audio which handles 75 watts rms. This stock setup is not going to push it that hard though.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey epguru, I just attempted to install the subwoofer. I saw that the nominal imperdence of my sub was 2ohm's maybe it differes between the b&o and regular system. I wish I would have picked up a 2 ohm sub now.(too late, should have done my homework) What I do not understand is how you got the sub to fit in wierdly recessed space for the subwoofer. It resembles a trapezoid, where the space is wide at one point and narrow on the other, instead of being a perfect square. Do you cut ay plastic to make it fit? I see that your jl and my kicker has almost the same mounting diameter.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by supahan
Hey epguru, I just attempted to install the subwoofer. I saw that the nominal imperdence of my sub was 2ohm's maybe it differes between the b&o and regular system. I wish I would have picked up a 2 ohm sub now.(too late, should have done my homework) What I do not understand is how you got the sub to fit in wierdly recessed space for the subwoofer. It resembles a trapezoid, where the space is wide at one point and narrow on the other, instead of being a perfect square. Do you cut ay plastic to make it fit? I see that your jl and my kicker has almost the same mounting diameter.
Do you have the B&O or the regular system? Where did you see the 2ohm marking?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i have the regular and it says on the sub itself. If you want to take out the sub from the bass box you need a star screw driver. The box is also sealed.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i have the regular and it says on the sub itself. If you want to take out the sub from the bass box you need a star screw driver. The box is also sealed.
I too have the non-B&O. Please be sure to update w/ any pics, experiences. I suppose for impedance matching purposes, this is a good 6.5" to get:

http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_....jsp?cid=50845
Old 08-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lefty71
I too have the non-B&O. Please be sure to update w/ any pics, experiences. I suppose for impedance matching purposes, this is a good 6.5" to get:

http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_....jsp?cid=50845
That is exactly what I am going to get. I put the 4ohm kicker on open air and it sounded better than the stock one in the bass box. I think the 2ohm version will sound great. I am kind of stuck right now on if I should cut the plastic on the bass box and putty it to make it fit. I would rather find another solution. Why don't you take a look at it and tell me what you think. 2 heads are better than one.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, I'm going to order the Kicker tonight. It looks like it will fit w/ little/no modification.

Here's a link to the woofer's manual:
http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/...8CompVT6.5.pdf

I'll update once it arrives and I've worked w/ it.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The bass box does need to be modified. Did you read my post above? Did you take the box out and look at where the sub is going to mount?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The bass box does need to be modified. Did you read my post above? Did you take the box out and look at where the sub is going to mount?
Yes, I have the OEM speaker out and have examined the box. The opening appears very close to circular to me?

Well, the Kicker is shipped in transit. Once I have it in hand, I'll figure out what mod needs to happen. I'm also considering sealing the port and filling the box 50% with loose poly-fill, per Kicker's recommendation.

Also, I did a little math and calculated the volume of the box at 0.68 ft^3. This fits within Kicker's volume spec of 0.2 to 3.0 ft^3 for a sealed enclosure. I will use a silicon sealant around the speaker's edge for air-tightness. Can't wait to hear the difference.

Quick Reply: Replace Sub?