Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Retrofitting Rear Seat Heating

Old 04-26-2015, 08:51 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
WOW parts for Active Lane Assist cost about $ 2700-3200
If you already have Side Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control, you will just need the new turn stalk (which comes as a whole unit now instead of just the single lever itself) the new camera to go in the windshield, and the interior trim pieces to go around it. You can find a new turn stalk assembly online for around 150-200 and the camera for around 100. The windscreen is the only piece that is going to be a pain. That is an item that will have to be acquired through the dealer and ETKA shows it at 565. Normally if you cannot purchase a "euro" item in the states, there wont be a price next to it in ETKA. Well, for some reason the windshield has a price attached to it and I verified with my dealer that it can in fact be ordered. Total retrofit shouldnt cost more than 900.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
If you already have Side Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control, you will just need the new turn stalk (which comes as a whole unit now instead of just the single lever itself) the new camera to go in the windshield, and the interior trim pieces to go around it. You can find a new turn stalk assembly online for around 150-200 and the camera for around 100. The windscreen is the only piece that is going to be a pain. That is an item that will have to be acquired through the dealer and ETKA shows it at 565. Normally if you cannot purchase a "euro" item in the states, there wont be a price next to it in ETKA. Well, for some reason the windshield has a price attached to it and I verified with my dealer that it can in fact be ordered. Total retrofit shouldnt cost more than 900.
As far as I know these are three independent systems
-Adaptive cruise control
-Audi active lane assist
-Audi side assist

You have this component ????

Last edited by spijun; 04-26-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by spijun
As far as I know these are three independent systems
-Adaptive cruise control
-Audi active lane assist
-Audi side assist
In your photo # 1-5A are for Audi Side Assist. In ETKA its called Lane Change Assist. It just lets you know when someone is next to your vehicle in your blind spots.

The one I am referring to is Active Lane Assist. It is on that same page and starts at #6 but in ETKA it is called Lane Guard System.

You are correct that Adaptive Cruise, Active Lane, and Audi Side assist are three independent systems. However, when you are using the Active Lane Assist, if you have the two additional features it will take data from those systems and utilize it as well making it an even smarter system. So, instead of just recognizing if you are drifting near the edge of your lane, it will also be able to assist if it sees you are going to drift out of your lane and someone is in your blind spot. I currently have the Adaptive Cruise Control as well as Audi Side Assist factory installed. I just want to retrofit Active Lane Assist (Or as ETKA calls it "Lane Guard System") which was not offered on the Q5 in the states. It is offered on the A6, A7, A8 and new A3 only.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Ok good luck with the project. Just be careful to purchase camera for $ 100
The real price is approximately $ 1,400
Old 04-27-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Ha. I know. Seems ridiculous but I travel into snow-territory quite often. I also live in a part of California that normally has 50 degree temperature swings. The evenings can get to the point where the heated seats would be practical. I also wanted to take on the task just because I really enjoy the challenge of retrofitting OEM features not offered in the US. I have already done Highbeam assistant and the next feature I will be retrofitting is Active Lane Assist. I already have some of the parts. Biggest pain will be replacing the windshield.
:-P
Im interested in your writeup for active lane assist.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by snig
Hero!

Thanks for posting. I have been looking for a way to do this since I had put my q5 order in. Ridiculous that this isn't a North American option.
Almost finished with it. I received two heating pads in the mail for the seats but the two for the backrests haven't come in yet. I have updated my original post with more photos.

Last edited by Mrclopec; 04-27-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Club AutoUnion

Default DONE!

Mod is finished! See post #1.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amazing job!

any chance or plan to start a thread with pics on the high-beam assist as well?
Old 01-28-2016, 04:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Nice Indeed!

My question, keeping in mind that I would like to integrate my mod into
the existing 4 zone panel, in this case would I be able to have that panel which would include the heating button (which currently is not an option in my specific vin)
to work as if it was an OEM option (knowing that I would have to program "vag" that option?

Thanks!

BTW - great tutorial !

and Thank you!

Henry
Old 01-28-2016, 07:28 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by henryt111
Very Nice Indeed!

My question, keeping in mind that I would like to integrate my mod into
the existing 4 zone panel, in this case would I be able to have that panel which would include the heating button (which currently is not an option in my specific vin)
to work as if it was an OEM option (knowing that I would have to program "vag" that option?

Thanks!

BTW - great tutorial !

and Thank you!

Henry
Actually, this isnt too complicated of a retrofit. It appears it would be easier than a Q5 because wires don't need to be run to the rear trunk. The seat heating control module is integrated into the rear A/C panel. With that said, you cannot just replace the buttons. You have to replace the entire control panel (4L0919158AE). You would then need to run wires from the back of that control panel to the heated seats so some harness fabrication would need to take place. There is a rear harness avail on Kufatec.de but it will not apply to your facelift Q7. It may be possible however to get their front heated seat harness and modify it work for the rear seats. If you source a set of second row seats already with the heating elements in them, that saves you a LOT of money and time. Putting the heating elements into the seats is actually the hardest part of the retrofit. If you had to buy the elements separately, they are MSRP 296 a piece. Thats for each pad, and each seat has 2 of them (296 x 4). If you did need to source pads, the controller, repair wires for existing connectors, etc. You can visit Audi genuine parts catalog online and use the search button in the upper right corner to search by part number. Its where I source all of my parts from and they are a lot cheaper than most everywhere I have seen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Retrofitting Rear Seat Heating