Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Road Trip & streaming music Q5 TDI & iPhone 6

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Road Trip & streaming music Q5 TDI & iPhone 6

I'm headed on a road trip from Santa Cruz to Huntington Beach in a few hours and was trying to figure out if I could connect my iPhone 6 via Bluetooth to play on the Audi MMI?

The car is a 2014 Audi Q5 TDI. I was thinking about streaming music from iTunes, Amazon prime music player, pandora etc... Thoughts?

I do have an old iPod touch sitting in the glovebox which I know can be used to play music stored on it etc...

As the car still has free 3G I was trying to figure out other potential setup ideas either using an old iPhone such as a 4 or my iPod touch from my glove box or my iPhone 6 via Bluetooth as I don't have the right plug to setup the iPhone 6 with the Audi glovebox plug... --- I also have unlimited data on the iPhone 6 so streaming Amazon prime music or pandora is an option.

Many advice between now and 11am (pacific) would be awesome!

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2015, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They all sound great and sound like they'll work. remember the cars 3g is only 3g so it's pretty slow compared to 4g. I usually bluetooth stream from my phone.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by imdakine1
I do have an old iPod touch sitting in the glovebox which I know can be used to play music stored on it etc...

As the car still has free 3G I was trying to figure out other potential setup ideas either using an old iPhone such as a 4 or my iPod touch from my glove box or my iPhone 6 via Bluetooth as I don't have the right plug to setup the iPhone 6 with the Audi glovebox plug... --
If sound quality is important at all, I'd avoid bluetooth streaming altogether. Why not just load up some music on an SD card? That should be simple enough.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have my iPhone 6 connected with a USB lightning cable to the center console to charge it and stream Amazon Prime and Pandora very often. I, too, have unlimited data. It doesn't sound as good as my music stored in the Jukebox, but I like to hear other music than the music I own from time to time, and the Bluetooth works great.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Road Trip & streaming music Q5 TDI & iPhone 6

I always have issues trying to remember how to setup Bluetooth for streaming music. Any guidance on where in the MMI would be helpful!

Road trip begins on 1 hour!
Old 06-17-2015, 04:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
If sound quality is important at all, I'd avoid bluetooth streaming altogether. Why not just load up some music on an SD card? That should be simple enough.
Could you expand on " simple enough"? What are some options for loading music on an SD card and about how songs per GB. Can you load from iTunes library? Thanks
Old 06-17-2015, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by lawnmore
Could you expand on " simple enough"? What are some options for loading music on an SD card
Stick an SD card in your computer. Copy music files to it. Done.

and about how songs per GB.
Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking how many songs does it take to fill 1 GB of storage space? That totally depends on the songs themselves as well as on the compression/bitrate used to encode the songs. It could be anywhere from 100 to 300 songs.

Can you load from iTunes library? Thanks
No idea. I don't use iTunes.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks
Old 06-17-2015, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Copy the songs from the iTunes Music folder (not from iTunes itself) directly onto an SD card. Use the following folder hierarchy: Artist/Album/Songs. Note that any old Protected AAC song files from a few years ago will not play in the MMI. Officially, the MMI will support up to 32GB cards in a FAT32 formatted card. AAC and MP3 formats will work fine. You can also import songs from the SD cards to your Jukebox which will hold another 20GB of songs.

Also, MP4 videos can be copied to an SD card (and further to the Jukebox) and will play on the MMI screen (see your MMI manual for resolution requirements). Videos and movies cannot be played on the MMI if the car is moving, although if you have VCDS (Vag-Com), VIM (Video in Motion) can be enabled to overcome this restriction.

All of this is covered in your MMI Entertainment/Nav manual (except the VIM mod which is discussed in the AW forums - do a search if interested).
Old 06-17-2015, 11:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Copy the songs from the iTunes Music folder (not from iTunes itself) directly onto an SD card. Use the following folder hierarchy: Artist/Album/Songs.
Just for the OP's benefit, this hierarchy isn't mandatory. I use: "Artist - Album/*" and it works 100% fine.

I rarely have more than two albums by the same artist, and only about 100 albums on there at any one time, so would rather turn the scroll wheel more when scrolling than have to click to go in and out of another folder depth all the time.

Quick Reply: Road Trip & streaming music Q5 TDI & iPhone 6