Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rubber Plastic Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber Plastic Cleaner

So because I trust Audi and I got it for practically nothing I bought the cockpit cleaner, however, its not so great on the rubber that lines our (SQ5) door arm rests and dash. What do you guys use/recommend?
Old 06-19-2015, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Check out Griot's Garage products or Detailer's Domain for rubber cleaners. I use Griot's Interior Cleaner on plastic, rubber and leather surfaces to provide general cleaning, and then a higher-end cleaner for deeper leather cleaning, especially on the beige leather in my wife's Q5. Their sites also have specific rubber cleaners and conditioners. Also, check the Detaining Forum here and over on QuattroWorld - Audi Enthusiasts - News, Discussion Forums, Media, Events and moreQuattroWorld | Audi Enthusiasts ? News, Discussion Forums, Media, Events and more for users insights/feedback.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A6Gary
Check out Griot's Garage products or Detailer's Domain for rubber cleaners. I use Griot's Interior Cleaner on plastic, rubber and leather surfaces to provide general cleaning, and then a higher-end cleaner for deeper leather cleaning, especially on the beige leather in my wife's Q5. Their sites also have specific rubber cleaners and conditioners. Also, check the Detaining Forum here and over on QuattroWorld - Audi Enthusiasts - News, Discussion Forums, Media, Events and moreQuattroWorld | Audi Enthusiasts ? News, Discussion Forums, Media, Events and more for users insights/feedback.
Thanks man! Always wondered if Griot's was good for our interiors.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I've used ArmorAll, the original WHITE formula not the new clear solvent stuff, for 30+ years and almost that long on one other car. On the vinyl, the rubber, the plastics, and NONE of them have shown any damage, any delamination, any cracking. The dash passes as new.

There may be better stuff, but ArmorAll original should take care of you for the first 25 years anyway.(G) Just don't use it on repainted surfaces (like repainted bumpers) or on glued plastics that have already started to degrade and release.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm sorry Redd, but I have to dissent about ArmorAll. I wrote it off a good 25 years (or more) ago due to all the bad press it started to receive not too long after it was introduced. And I just hated getting the stuff on my hands and the slick feeling it would leave behind. I would be surprised if you could find any professional detailers that would recommend the stuff. Besides, it's not really a cleaner. And definitely should not go on the dash because of the reflections it would create, though I think they created an alternate formula that was not shiny. You really do what to keep that matte finish on the dash in order not to go blind.

I suggest using good ol' Murphy's oil soap spray but make sure you don't use the stuff with orange oil. If you can't find the regular spray, just buy the "squirt and mop" formula and put it in a spray bottle. It's a mild and mostly natural cleaner. It's also all purpose and will clean about anything from plastics to wood to leather. And it does not leave a residue.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I wouldn't use it on the "mock cloth" dash in the Q5 and would use it sparigbnly on anything else. I know all about the bad press it got years ago. Expensive inflatable boats, like Zodiacs, were coming apart at the seams, literally. Except it turns out, Zodiacs were glued together, while some other brands were welded. The ArmorAll apparently was releasing the glue.

But here's the kicker: The French government condemns all inflatable lift rafts--same construction as the Zodiac boats--at ten years of age, due to excessive glue failures. Even on life rafts stowed in canisters and never exposed to ArmorAll. So...the ArmorAll may speed up some problems, but it wasn't the *cause* of them.

Murphy's is great stuff, with simple old-fashioned ingredients. It is a great cleaner, but even Colgate says it is a cleaner, not intended to replace plasticizers and other volatiles that come out as plastics age. Like using gasoline as a degreaser: It will work, sure. There are just other products that will work better at "feeding" plastics.(G)

Tyr it on some rubber trim for 25 years, let me know how that holds up. I'd bet it would be clean--but stiff.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If its not super dirty I like Pinnacle vinyl & rubber protectant. It has a flowery banana smell like a frangipani plant. If its dirty I use the Pinnacle leather & vinyl cleaner first. Its fine for the rubber too. Then there is the Pinnacle leather conditioner. With those 3 your covered for the whole interior including the rubber seals around the doors and the hatch.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the rubber seals etc I love Meguiar's M40. For other interior plastics I like Meguiar's Hyper Dressing. Leather Meguiar's G10916 Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner
Old 06-27-2015, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a quick wipe down with a little murphys oil soap in a bucket of warm water. I hate anything greasy!!! My S5 still looked new at the end of 4.5 years. I wipe down the interior once a week or so.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the info guys. Some definite opinions in this thread.. So what EXACTY is our dashes and arm rests made out of?

Quick Reply: Rubber Plastic Cleaner