Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Second gen Q5 announcement - When?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Hopefully we'll finally learn if it will have 'real' quattro, or the new Haldex-like quattro Ultra. I suspect the base 2.0T will have the latter, with more powerful versions getting traditional quattro to better manage the torque.
Unfortunately, I think the 2.0T is going to be the only (gas...) engine offered in the straight Q5. The days of the sleeper 3.0T in an A4-ish chassis seem over unless you step up to an S version

Hopefully I am surprised
Old 09-20-2016, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
Unfortunately, I think the 2.0T is going to be the only (gas...) engine offered in the straight Q5. The days of the sleeper 3.0T in an A4-ish chassis seem over unless you step up to an S version

Hopefully I am surprised
I think you're probably right, which means all non-S models could potentially have quattro Ultra. That would be a shame.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anything is fair game when it comes to improving fuel economy...and with the Q5 being the most popular Audi model in the NA market, this could be an opportunity for Audi to boost their CAFE numbers with this on-demand all-wheel drive system.
I'm hoping it won't be the case, but it might be available for the ROW Q5. Regardless, this Q5 will come with that pesky and ubiquitous start/stop feature

Last edited by Ray_QT; 09-20-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ray_QT
Regardless, this Q5 will comes with that pesky and ubiquitous start/stop feature
I don't mind the start/stop feature of my Q5 TDI. In fact when I drive something else, I expect that vehicle to turn off at stop lights and am caught off guard when it doesn't stop.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I think we will still have the option for 3.0T with tiptronic. Most of the Q5s will be purchased with the 2.0T with quattro ultra. Price will differentiate the two. Audi will still get the MPG average up overall.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlackSVT

Hopefully I am surprised
SVT - my source at Audi says we will be "pleasantly surprised" with engine choices out of the gate. I probed further asking if the SQ5 might be part of the line up and I got a "you'll have to wait to see but I think you will be happy."

I'm hoping the SQ5 is indeed in the lineup.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tysandrew
SVT - my source at Audi says we will be "pleasantly surprised" with engine choices out of the gate. I probed further asking if the SQ5 might be part of the line up and I got a "you'll have to wait to see but I think you will be happy."

I'm hoping the SQ5 is indeed in the lineup.
I believe he means there will be no 3.0T or other engine upgrade option for the base Q5. (The SQ5 is technically a separate model.) With the supercharged engine being phased out and the diesel on [permanent?] hiatus, the only logical option would be a 2.0T in higher state of tune, or a de-tuned 3.0L turbo. Given the A4's performance with the base 2.0T, I'm not sure there is a need for a tweener option. Of course, I like the current 3.0T, so I'd be fine if it returns to the lineup. Wouldn't make much sense though.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default New Teaser

Old 09-21-2016, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HotRodW
I believe he means there will be no 3.0T or other engine upgrade option for the base Q5. (The SQ5 is technically a separate model.) With the supercharged engine being phased out and the diesel on [permanent?] hiatus, the only logical option would be a 2.0T in higher state of tune, or a de-tuned 3.0L turbo. Given the A4's performance with the base 2.0T, I'm not sure there is a need for a tweener option. Of course, I like the current 3.0T, so I'd be fine if it returns to the lineup. Wouldn't make much sense though.
Yes, HotRod got exactly what I meant -- For me, the SQ5 is assumed as whatever powerplant Audi goes with...likely the single turbo 3.0 out of the S4. But, that being said, the current gen (non-S) Q5 is turning into a rarity in today's market: a vehicle with multiple engine choices - all of them imparting a different character to what is essentially the same basic vehicle. I firmly believe it's why it is so popular. I hope "choice" is maintained on 2nd Gen.

Personally, I wouldn't have even given the Q5 a 2nd look if my only option was 2.0T or diesel. Do I think they are both good engines? Absolutely, they are both world class. I am simply not a fan of 4-cyl turbo engines tho. I rarely see better mpg on my daily commute when I drive one because it's always having to be in boost to generate power. And while I am very impressed with the TDI and it's huge torque, the low RPM character is just odd to drive for me. Again, just explaining my position, definitely not trashing the other choices because I could see many scenarios where they are the better options for people.

In the interest of fair disclosure, my 3.0T is tuned (owner tweakability! Another selling point I hope is maintained/discovered in some form) so I am now more likely comparing ~SQ5 3.0T driveability to the other engines. I'd still buy it again even w/o the tune if i had to do it over again.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

According to this article...
2017 Audi Q5 teased on video ahead of Paris motor show | Autocar
The new Q5 range will include a frugal plug-in hybrid that uses a turbocharged 2.0-litre petrol engine and two electric motors, plus V6 petrol and diesel engines and, later on, a performance-focused Q5 RS with around 500bhp.

Quick Reply: Second gen Q5 announcement - When?