Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Secret Green Menu

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secret Green Menu

I loaded the Carista Dongle and App. While I know many of the options are available to change in the MMI menu structure, I for one really like seeing all of the options in one place. I like it.

I have a question for the forum regarding the Hidden Menu. I opened it up this afternoon, and to be honest, it scared the $*%^ out of me. Looks like a great place to go and mess up a bunch of options that might have mortal consequeces. Has anyone used the hidden menu? if so, what types of changes did you make? I am really interested if it's an process I'll use.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2016, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 94 Likes on 44 Posts

You are correct. The hidden menu can be used for several "advanced" mods (do an AW global forum search). However, unless you know what you are doing, playing around with changes in there can result in expensive repairs. For example, one should never touch the "bootloader" or you will be spending multi-thousands of dollars to replace the MMI module.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Attention, be careful
Green menu - engineering menu is the same as the Windows Registry
If you do not know what you are doing as he wrote, "snagitseven" you can "bricked" MMI

Last edited by spijun; 07-14-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

As Spiderman said, "With great power comes great responsibility."
(Although it has been similarly phrased going back into the Old Testament.)

Or as the pilots say, when on an unfamiliar aircraft "Only touch the shiny buttons" because they are more likely to be the ones you ought to normally be touching.

There's a reason why Audi hides those menus. Poking them at random may result in unintentional excitement.(G)
Old 07-15-2016, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
As Spiderman said, "With great power comes great responsibility."
(Although it has been similarly phrased going back into the Old Testament.)

Or as the pilots say, when on an unfamiliar aircraft "Only touch the shiny buttons" because they are more likely to be the ones you ought to normally be touching.

There's a reason why Audi hides those menus. Poking them at random may result in unintentional excitement.(G)
So far, noone has been able to tell me a legit use for the average joe (or Ned). I think I'll just let sleeping dogs lye. thanks Redd
Old 07-15-2016, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nedwrecks
So far, noone has been able to tell me a legit use for the average joe (or Ned). I think I'll just let sleeping dogs lye. thanks Redd
Since you didn't follow my advice to do an AW global or Google search, I'll provide just a few for you (not all will be available on all models):

Enable battery meter
Enable lap timer
Enable CD music file importing
Change radio start volume
Air conditioning options
Interior lighting options
and more
Old 07-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the help (and the snarky response). I did both searches you suggested and found lots of good info before I made the post. There's obviously a ton of stuff to be messed around with and I was curious how much of it was practical. My question was who has used it to make changes to a q5 or sq5 and what changes were made. Sounds like the consensus is to leave it alone.

Thanks anyways.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Enable battery meter
Does this one show battery voltage somewhere in the dashboard?
Old 07-15-2016, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nedwrecks
Thanks for the help (and the snarky response). I did both searches you suggested and found lots of good info before I made the post. There's obviously a ton of stuff to be messed around with and I was curious how much of it was practical. My question was who has used it to make changes to a q5 or sq5 and what changes were made. Sounds like the consensus is to leave it alone.

Thanks anyways.
You asked what the legitimate uses were for the hidden menu. I found these mods by doing a search, so...
Old 07-15-2016, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You asked what the legitimate uses were for the hidden menu. I found these mods by doing a search, so...
It's not what I asked in my original post (the one you responded to) so...

I got what I needed so It really doesn't matter, certainly not worth argueing about.

Quick Reply: Secret Green Menu