Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 285456
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 180
Default Send to Car - google map and iphone

I was wondering if we can send to car from our smartphone? So far I've begun sending to car from my macbook but could imagine how convenient it would be to send it directly to the car from my iphone or ipad. Thoughts?
imdakine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 269322
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 19
Default

There's an app for iOS at least - MMI Connect. It's a little clunky, but you can send to car via the map interface / online destinations.
__________________
2014 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus with Navigation, B&O and Audi Side Assist.

arrtewwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 23863
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nazareth, PA
Posts: 165
Default

I read somewhere about this app and downloaded the 'test' and it worked - it is called 'Send to Car' in iOS and it is a free app that you download to test the connection. If it works, you then buy the app to use it. I have not purchased the app, so I can't speak to its interface and/or ease of use.
ser968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 247171
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser968 View Post
I read somewhere about this app and downloaded the 'test' and it worked - it is called 'Send to Car' in iOS and it is a free app that you download to test the connection. If it works, you then buy the app to use it. I have not purchased the app, so I can't speak to its interface and/or ease of use.
I have the Send To Car App for Android devices. It works well and is free, at least for Android.
__________________
2013 Q5 2.0t, Cuvee Silver/Black, Pano, 19", MMI/Nav, B&O, Advanced Key, 3M Crystalline.
2014 BMW 3281 X Drive, White Metallic/Tan, Nav, 3M Crystalline etc.
Q5 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 259831
 
Cadx6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdakine1 View Post
I was wondering if we can send to car from our smartphone? So far I've begun sending to car from my macbook but could imagine how convenient it would be to send it directly to the car from my iphone or ipad. Thoughts?
If you're using an "i" device - do a search in the App store for "MMI Connect". It's an Audi app that works perfectly on iPhone, iPod, or iPad. I use it all the time to store destinations & then when I get in the car all I have to do is go to Destination > Online Destinations > Find Destination From My Audi Account. Anything you've sent to the car will be listed there. The app is free & has a few other functions such as Car Finder & Music Stream.
Cadx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
AudiWorld Expert
Account #: 16447
 
ex-quattro PETE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 25,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadx6 View Post
If you're using an "i" device - do a search in the App store for "MMI Connect". It's an Audi app that works perfectly on iPhone, iPod, or iPad.
Based on its description, this app was designed for the newest MMI generation, such as the one in the new Audi A3. Are you saying it works with the older MMI systems such as the one in the Q5, too?
__________________

'15 Q5 3.0T
'02 530i manual
'01 A4 1.8Tq manual (sold)

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 08-13-2014 at 10:50 AM.
ex-quattro PETE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 259648
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 45
Default

For iOS, I highly recommend the app called Send to Car. The procedure for using it is a bit odd, but very effective and efficient:

1. Locate your destination in the iOS Maps app.
2. Within Maps, select "Directions to Here".
3. [this is the really strange part] Change your mode of travel to public transportation (press the little bus icon).
4. Press "Route"
5. Select "Send to Car" from the list of apps. This sends the destination to your MyAudi account.
6. In your vehicle, use MMI to pull up your list of MyAudi destinations, and you will see your newest entry.

Six steps sounds like a lot, but it is actually very quick and smooth, and the destination appears in your MyAudi account very quickly. The whole process only takes a few seconds.

The Send to Car app takes advantage of the fact that the iOS Maps app does not provide public transportation routing. Instead, Maps will send the destination to a different app of your choice to provide the routing. When you select Send to Car from the list of apps, it automatically sends your destination to your MyAudi account.
centurion70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 259831
 
Cadx6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE View Post
Based on its description, this app was designed for the newest MMI generation, such as the one in the new Audi A3. Are you saying it works with the older MMI systems such as the one in the Q5, too?
I use it with my 2013 Q7 with MMI 3G (?).
Can't see how any other app could be simpler - especially since it's designed by/for Audi.
Cadx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 285456
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 180
Default

I saw the app in the app store and Downloaded the test app to see if it would work etc... The test app requires you to send a "dummy" Washington DC address to your car. It did work. I'll try the Audi Connect App first.

Does anyone know why the addresses I send to my car are sent but doesn't appear to keep the label I provided. I now have a number of addresses but only a couple include the name of the location the others are just addresses.

I chose to label the address such as dentist, etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurion70 View Post
For iOS, I highly recommend the app called Send to Car. The procedure for using it is a bit odd, but very effective and efficient:

1. Locate your destination in the iOS Maps app.
2. Within Maps, select "Directions to Here".
3. [this is the really strange part] Change your mode of travel to public transportation (press the little bus icon).
4. Press "Route"
5. Select "Send to Car" from the list of apps. This sends the destination to your MyAudi account.
6. In your vehicle, use MMI to pull up your list of MyAudi destinations, and you will see your newest entry.

Six steps sounds like a lot, but it is actually very quick and smooth, and the destination appears in your MyAudi account very quickly. The whole process only takes a few seconds.

The Send to Car app takes advantage of the fact that the iOS Maps app does not provide public transportation routing. Instead, Maps will send the destination to a different app of your choice to provide the routing. When you select Send to Car from the list of apps, it automatically sends your destination to your MyAudi account.
imdakine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 87033
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 249
Default

Do you need Audi Connect for this to work or does it communicate thru the NAV link ?
__________________
Sean
2014 Q5 2.0T, P+, B&O
Lava Grey w/ Chestnut Sport seats
stash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Join AudiWorld

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community