Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Send to Car - google map and iphone

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Send to Car - google map and iphone

I was wondering if we can send to car from our smartphone? So far I've begun sending to car from my macbook but could imagine how convenient it would be to send it directly to the car from my iphone or ipad. Thoughts?
Old 08-12-2014, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

There's an app for iOS at least - MMI Connect. It's a little clunky, but you can send to car via the map interface / online destinations.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read somewhere about this app and downloaded the 'test' and it worked - it is called 'Send to Car' in iOS and it is a free app that you download to test the connection. If it works, you then buy the app to use it. I have not purchased the app, so I can't speak to its interface and/or ease of use.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ser968
I read somewhere about this app and downloaded the 'test' and it worked - it is called 'Send to Car' in iOS and it is a free app that you download to test the connection. If it works, you then buy the app to use it. I have not purchased the app, so I can't speak to its interface and/or ease of use.
I have the Send To Car App for Android devices. It works well and is free, at least for Android.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by imdakine1
I was wondering if we can send to car from our smartphone? So far I've begun sending to car from my macbook but could imagine how convenient it would be to send it directly to the car from my iphone or ipad. Thoughts?
If you're using an "i" device - do a search in the App store for "MMI Connect". It's an Audi app that works perfectly on iPhone, iPod, or iPad. I use it all the time to store destinations & then when I get in the car all I have to do is go to Destination > Online Destinations > Find Destination From My Audi Account. Anything you've sent to the car will be listed there. The app is free & has a few other functions such as Car Finder & Music Stream.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadx6
If you're using an "i" device - do a search in the App store for "MMI Connect". It's an Audi app that works perfectly on iPhone, iPod, or iPad.
Based on its description, this app was designed for the newest MMI generation, such as the one in the new Audi A3. Are you saying it works with the older MMI systems such as the one in the Q5, too?

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 08-13-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For iOS, I highly recommend the app called Send to Car. The procedure for using it is a bit odd, but very effective and efficient:

1. Locate your destination in the iOS Maps app.
2. Within Maps, select "Directions to Here".
3. [this is the really strange part] Change your mode of travel to public transportation (press the little bus icon).
4. Press "Route"
5. Select "Send to Car" from the list of apps. This sends the destination to your MyAudi account.
6. In your vehicle, use MMI to pull up your list of MyAudi destinations, and you will see your newest entry.

Six steps sounds like a lot, but it is actually very quick and smooth, and the destination appears in your MyAudi account very quickly. The whole process only takes a few seconds.

The Send to Car app takes advantage of the fact that the iOS Maps app does not provide public transportation routing. Instead, Maps will send the destination to a different app of your choice to provide the routing. When you select Send to Car from the list of apps, it automatically sends your destination to your MyAudi account.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Based on its description, this app was designed for the newest MMI generation, such as the one in the new Audi A3. Are you saying it works with the older MMI systems such as the one in the Q5, too?
I use it with my 2013 Q7 with MMI 3G (?).
Can't see how any other app could be simpler - especially since it's designed by/for Audi.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I saw the app in the app store and Downloaded the test app to see if it would work etc... The test app requires you to send a "dummy" Washington DC address to your car. It did work. I'll try the Audi Connect App first.

Does anyone know why the addresses I send to my car are sent but doesn't appear to keep the label I provided. I now have a number of addresses but only a couple include the name of the location the others are just addresses.

I chose to label the address such as dentist, etc....

Originally Posted by centurion70
For iOS, I highly recommend the app called Send to Car. The procedure for using it is a bit odd, but very effective and efficient:

1. Locate your destination in the iOS Maps app.
2. Within Maps, select "Directions to Here".
3. [this is the really strange part] Change your mode of travel to public transportation (press the little bus icon).
4. Press "Route"
5. Select "Send to Car" from the list of apps. This sends the destination to your MyAudi account.
6. In your vehicle, use MMI to pull up your list of MyAudi destinations, and you will see your newest entry.

Six steps sounds like a lot, but it is actually very quick and smooth, and the destination appears in your MyAudi account very quickly. The whole process only takes a few seconds.

The Send to Car app takes advantage of the fact that the iOS Maps app does not provide public transportation routing. Instead, Maps will send the destination to a different app of your choice to provide the routing. When you select Send to Car from the list of apps, it automatically sends your destination to your MyAudi account.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you need Audi Connect for this to work or does it communicate thru the NAV link ?

Quick Reply: Send to Car - google map and iphone