Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Shaking/Wheel vibration at 80mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shaking/Wheel vibration at 80mph

Hello all,
I posted about this issue awhile back, and everyone suggested having the tires balance (high speed balanced) so I went and had them balanced about a week ago. However, it still shakes at 80mph on the highway... I am wondering what else could be causing this?! One of the most important things to me is a smooth ride, this shaking vibrating is driving me crazy. I am bringing it in to Audi to be serviced in a couple weeks, not sure if I should do a road test? I just wanted to try and avoid being charged an arm and a leg so to speak... Please advise..

Thank you all!
Old 08-25-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by josepeter22
Hello all,
I posted about this issue awhile back, and everyone suggested having the tires balance (high speed balanced) so I went and had them balanced about a week ago. However, it still shakes at 80mph on the highway... I am wondering what else could be causing this?! One of the most important things to me is a smooth ride, this shaking vibrating is driving me crazy. I am bringing it in to Audi to be serviced in a couple weeks, not sure if I should do a road test? I just wanted to try and avoid being charged an arm and a leg so to speak... Please advise..

Thank you all!
Can you tel if the vibration is coming from the front of the car ( felt heavily in the steering wheel) or the back?

Try rotating the tires front to back to see if you can locate the source of the vibration ( did the vibration change). You might have a bent wheel or out of round tire causing the vibration. It is unlikely that all four tires are bad.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It feels like it is in the front, it is all in the steering wheel, but only does it at or around 80 mph... At 70-75mph there is no vibration, and 85-90 mph no vibration. The wheel visibly shakes back and forth about a quarter of an inch. Like I said, I just had the wheels high speed balanced, and rotated. Should I call them, and bring it back?
Old 08-25-2016, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by josepeter22
Hello all,

Thank you all!
Did you have the tires balanced with a "load force" balancer, such as; the Hunter 9700? This balancer places a roller against the spinning tire to simulate the effects on being on the road. This
type of balancer used in the right hands will indicate tire defects (out of round, broken belts, etc.), bent wheels (out of round, lateral run out, etc.).

You can also have worn control arm bushings, plus many other possible issues.

The best and quickest way to rule out tires and wheels are to have the dealer mount new tires and wheels from a new Q5 and go for a ride, if problem is gone, then you know what to replace.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 08-25-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Did you have the tires balanced with a "load force" balancer, such as; the Hunter 9700? This balancer places a roller against the spinning tire to simulate the effects on being on the road. This
type of balancer used in the right hands will indicate tire defects (out of round, broken belts, etc.), bent wheels (out of round, lateral run out, etc.).

You can also have worn control arm bushings, plus many other possible issues.

The best and quickest way to rule out tires and wheels are to have the dealer mount new tires and wheels from a new Q5 and go for a ride, if problem is gone, then you know what to replace.
A big +10 for what Bob has said above, it is very important. This problem was a huge headache for VW on their Touaregs 2011 and up with 19 and 20 inch wheels. What they found was that the wheels were not being properly mounted to the vehicle because the techs were not following the tried and true old school mounting and torquing procedure. The TSB also says in the beginning how important it is to check the wheel for trueness and damage. Along with tire condition and damage. Another area to check is the hub centric ring and it's mating surface on the axle hub. This area has to be clean and free of debris so the wheel fits flat against the rotor.
bkrussow@comcast dot net

Bob
Old 08-29-2016, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's worth noting that on my 2.0T at least, there's a resonance of the engine, or transmissions/driveline between 79-83mph. Above that it goes away.

I think there's a common chassis resonance that a wheel imbalance will magnify right around that wheel RPM. I calculate it's around 900-1000RPM. Seems like there's a common harmonic at idle near that point and multiples of that speed.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Factory or aftermarket wheels? My wife had a similar problem because the wheel/tire people threw out the hub centric rings. Once we realized the problem, ordered new rings and installed them myself, the problem went away and the ride couldn't be smoother.