Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Which ship?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Uhh... so now the dealer tells me the car is showing a production week of 9/29/14. If that's the case, then somehow I doubt that it's going to be ready for pickup the week of Oct 20th...
I have a production week of 9/22/14 and my dealer told me to expect the vehicle at the end of Oct. beginning of Nov. depending on what ship it makes it onto. He said 6 weeks is about average though. Depends on what part of the country it's going to as well, pretty sure mine is going through Houston.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now I'm being told our Q5 is on a ship that arrives port (Davisville) on Oct 17th. I guess that means it's on Onyx Ace. Hopefully we can take delivery a week or two after that.

BTW, once you have a VIN, is there any way to track the vehicle more accurately or does that still give me nothing?

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 10-14-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Now I'm being told our Q5 is on a ship that arrives port (Davisville) on Oct 17th. I guess that means it's on Onyx Ace. Hopefully we can take delivery a week or two after that.
Almost here!

BTW, once you have a VIN, is there any way to track the vehicle more accurately or does that still give me nothing?
Audi could probably get better tracking (which ship, and possibly some better status on what's up in each port), but there's not really any tools that we have access to to locate a specific VIN. Just have to console yourself by spamming MarineTraffic or wherever... other than when it's in satellite-only range while crossing the Atlantic.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Currently waiting for mine to arrive. I see thhe GRAND VENUS just left the coast of ireland and now in the dead zone until it shows up again near Halifax. I am assuming that this ship will be making calls all down the eastern seaboard until it pops though the Panama canal down to me in Chile via perhaps Peru? Or perhaps it would go down to Brazil and Argentina and then round Cape Horn? I think Panama canal is more likely though...well, one thing for sure, I have a fairly long wait!
Old 10-15-2014, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by NorthValley
Currently waiting for mine to arrive. I see thhe GRAND VENUS just left the coast of ireland and now in the dead zone until it shows up again near Halifax. I am assuming that this ship will be making calls all down the eastern seaboard until it pops though the Panama canal down to me in Chile via perhaps Peru?
Did your dealer tell you your car is on Grand Venus? According to that PWL schedule, Grand Venus only goes to Halifax. Maybe in Halifax, your car will get re-loaded on another ship that goes to South America?

Do Audis/VWs normally get to Chile by ship or by rail or roadway from another country?

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 10-15-2014 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Did your dealer tell you your car is on Grand Venus? According to that PWL schedule, Grand Venus only goes to Halifax. Maybe in Halifax, your car will get re-loaded on another ship that goes to South America?

Do Audis/VWs normally get to Chile by ship or by rail or roadway from another country?
Yup, he told me that. We shall see if that is the case after the ship leaves Halifax!! If it goes back across the Atlantic there will be an Audi dealer in Chile requiring a liquidizer for his meals!!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

There is a nice little app you can put on an iPad called Marine Traffic. You need to know the vessel name and then you can track the ship in real time across the ocean to see exactly where it is. Can probably get it on the PC also. Works by tracking the ships GPS position.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by GregH
There is a nice little app you can put on an iPad called Marine Traffic. You need to know the vessel name and then you can track the ship in real time across the ocean to see exactly where it is. Can probably get it on the PC also. Works by tracking the ships GPS position.
Yup. That's what we've been talking about earlier... Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions - AIS Marine Traffic

Alas, if the ship is in the middle of the ocean, you're not going to get its position until it gets closer to the shore.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yup. That's what we've been talking about earlier... Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions - AIS Marine Traffic

Alas, if the ship is in the middle of the ocean, you're not going to get its position until it gets closer to the shore.
You can, but it'll require a paid subscription to whichever site. I assume it costs quite a bit for them to get the data in the first place, so it makes sense to charge users for access since anyone wanting that level of tracking presumably places value on knowing positions away from shore.

Not necessarily worth it for most of us, but it's available at least.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Onyx ace has docked in Houston!

My sq5 is on that boat. Anyone else??

Quick Reply: Which ship?