Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

The Shoe We Care About Has Dropped: SCR Systems Failing in TDIs Prematurely

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Shoe We Care About Has Dropped: SCR Systems Failing in TDIs Prematurely

Well folks, here it comes. Some SCR Systems are failing in as little as 50k miles.

No idea how this will ultimately affect our 3-L cars (Touregs are affected), but it's doesn't bode well for longevity in these systems.

VW TDI Owners Being Stuck with $1,000+ AdBlue Heater Repairs, Still Not EPA Compliant

Last edited by Deckardk; 02-09-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckardk
Well folks, here it comes. Some SCR Systems are failing in as little as 50k miles.

No idea how this will ultimately affect our 3-L cars (Touregs are affected), but it's doesn't bode well for longevity in these systems.

VW TDI Owners Being Stuck with $1,000+ AdBlue Heater Repairs, Still Not EPA Compliant
Just imagine how much faster they will fail once the revised software is rolled out. Hint: probably 50% faster

THIS is why the extended warranty is so important. One thing to note thou is didn't we get the revised system (Gen2 I think) that isn't going to need updated SCR tanks? (remember Porsche said those earlier models needed updated SCR tanks) I wonder if that means the tanks are better for us
Old 02-09-2016, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have yet to keep a car to 50,000 miles so I will continue my string....
Old 02-09-2016, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
I have yet to keep a car to 50,000 miles so I will continue my string....
Me too. Especially now that all of this has occurred. Hoping that at the end of the day, we aren't affected too negatively on resale. It's a real mess, and dang it, I really like this vehicle and everything about it with the exception of the issue.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

VW stepped up thou and covered a decent amount of the cost as they have done on the pump issues with the 2L engines so I'll give them credit for that. Most other makers would tell you to take a hike
Old 02-09-2016, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Me too. Especially now that all of this has occurred. Hoping that at the end of the day, we aren't affected too negatively on resale. It's a real mess, and dang it, I really like this vehicle and everything about it with the exception of the issue.
Won't insurance cover them if they go off a cliff?
Old 02-09-2016, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
Won't insurance cover them if they go off a cliff?
We dont have cliffs in Florida... too flat... How about into the ocean?
Old 02-09-2016, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbradleysd
Just imagine how much faster they will fail once the revised software is rolled out. Hint: probably 50% faster

THIS is why the extended warranty is so important. One thing to note thou is didn't we get the revised system (Gen2 I think) that isn't going to need updated SCR tanks? (remember Porsche said those earlier models needed updated SCR tanks) I wonder if that means the tanks are better for us
I thought all systems related to emissions had an extended warranty by law. Wonder why this would not qualify?
Old 02-09-2016, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmfstyle
I thought all systems related to emissions had an extended warranty by law. Wonder why this would not qualify?
To kind of answer my own question:

http://www3.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f15035.pdf

It would seem this issue should be covered for 8 years and 80,000 miles.
But don't get too excited. I had a 2006 Mercedes 500E that suffered from a common gas tank filler tube issue at 51 months and 22K miles. The repair required replacement of the gas tank at a cost of over $2k. In certain states (like California) it was covered by the EPA mandated warranty. In Florida (duh) and other states without rigorous emissions tests, it was not. Really ticked me off. I sold the car in 2010. In 2014 Mercedes, apparently under the threat of many law suits sent me an unsolicited check for about $2k. Likely that VW will do this repair gratis only under extreme duress.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yup, common with diesels - my past 2 BMWs have had SCR recalls for both.
Luckily covered under 4yr/50K warranty....

Quick Reply: The Shoe We Care About Has Dropped: SCR Systems Failing in TDIs Prematurely