Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Short? Crackle/Pop and no more sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short? Crackle/Pop and no more sound

So about a month ago I'm driving along listening to my iPod. All of a sudden A loud Pop/crackle sound happens at an extremely loud volume and proceeds to scare the living **** out of me. I lost all audio after this. Switched to Sirius and FM with no change. I muted the system and unmutued it with no change. I powered off MMI and powered it back and everything returned to normal.
Flash forward yesterday driving to work listening to Sirius Radio. Same exact scenario except the loud pop/crack happened twice before losing all audio. Same attempts to fix it and had to power off then power back on MMI (press and hold volume for a few seconds then).

I always listen to Music volume around 9-14 nothing incredibly loud unless my windows and moon roof are open. Even then i never max out mt volume. My bass is usually +1 or 2 over the norm and no other crazy audio settings.

Any suggestions or ideas as to what the malfunction is or how I can fix this without having to go to my local shop?
I have a road trip back to NY Tuesday and returning next week which will give me 709 miles/ 12 hours each way. I'll report if it occurs again
Old 04-27-2015, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jdip
So about a month ago I'm driving along listening to my iPod. All of a sudden A loud Pop/crackle sound happens at an extremely loud volume and proceeds to scare the living **** out of me. I lost all audio after this. Switched to Sirius and FM with no change. I muted the system and unmutued it with no change. I powered off MMI and powered it back and everything returned to normal.
Flash forward yesterday driving to work listening to Sirius Radio. Same exact scenario except the loud pop/crack happened twice before losing all audio. Same attempts to fix it and had to power off then power back on MMI (press and hold volume for a few seconds then).

I always listen to Music volume around 9-14 nothing incredibly loud unless my windows and moon roof are open. Even then i never max out mt volume. My bass is usually +1 or 2 over the norm and no other crazy audio settings.

Any suggestions or ideas as to what the malfunction is or how I can fix this without having to go to my local shop?
I have a road trip back to NY Tuesday and returning next week which will give me 709 miles/ 12 hours each way. I'll report if it occurs again
I had this happen 2-3 times last year in my '13 A4. And just like you, it scared the **** out of me too! Mine sounded like someone dropped a mic on a stage at the highest volume setting. I'd be listening to my ipod each time it happened. My gut reaction was that the ipod came loose from the connector since the music was gone. Still connected and after a few seconds everything came back on its own. Everything in the back (sub/speakers/wiring) was still connected tight as well. I thought I could tie it to taking a corner really fast and tight but then it happened sitting in a drive through... never did figure out what happened or caused it.

I'd also had the screen 'data' go blank a few times... like there wan't a data source but the screen was still live.

I talked to the service department a couple times and they could never replicate it (it happened so few times over all - I'm not surprised). I finally got a pic of the empty screen and took it to Audi. Finally with some proof they replaced the screen. There was also a MMI update sometime last year that seemed somewhat related.

Whether it was the new MMI screen or just simply a software update, I guess I'll never know but it hasn't happened since.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the input. So it gave me zero problems on the 13 hour car ride. But this morning going to get breakfast it did it again. This time though sound came back on its own after about 7 seconds. I didn't even finish cursing. Maybe the amp connections or something? I want to take it to the dealer but am afraid of the "we can't replicate it so it didn't happen " answer. Especially because I really do not know what is causing this.

Sounds exactly the same as your issue except mine has happened while on Sirius and iPod. I have not lost any screen funtion when mine occurs though. Maybe an update will fix it?