Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Should navigation database version change when navigation is updated

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MxM111
I did contact audi USA, but all they do they call the dealership (the same where I have problem) to ask the same question. They do not have independent technical expertise.

From what I understand from your screenshot, those are different MMI software versions from different years, but can any MMI software go on any car from any year? The reason I am asking is that the configurations for different years are different. The number of buttons are different. There must be some difference in hardware, display resolution, processor, memory etc... Did you see with your own eyes that MMI software was updated and its version was changed for 4+ year old car to the latest ones?
Try another dealership.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

It is possible that the new MMI software has grown much larger than the old MMI software, so that the new MMI software can't be loaded or run on systems made earlier, with less memory, etc. in them. This is something that happens even with cell phones, newer versions of Google's Android can't and won't run on older phones, sometimes even two years old. (Apple gets kudos for better design on that.)

So it is possible they are simply not explaining things very well, and possible they are not aware of what is or isn't compatible. Audi-US tend to be about as technically astute as, well, your local professional dog-walker sometimes. The fact that they are buying the nav software and map updates from a third party probably doesn't help.

I'd be inclined to call Audi, the real Audi in Germany, and the real vendor of the map software, of I wanted a reliable answer. Or at least, a better chance of one.

The real test of nav software seems to be Washington, DC, where new flyovers and ramps seem to pop up so quickly, that my Garmin, and Google Maps, both told me "Hey, you got us into this? YOU get us out!" and neither agreed with any road sign in any direction. Despite being "current" and updated.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
It is possible that the new MMI software has grown much larger than the old MMI software, so that the new MMI software can't be loaded or run on systems made earlier, with less memory, etc. in them. This is something that happens even with cell phones, newer versions of Google's Android can't and won't run on older phones, sometimes even two years old. (Apple gets kudos for better design on that.)
With the new maps exist versions of the firmware (update software) MMI for MY2009-2012 and MY2013-2015, - because different hardware.
Upgrade map is the same for all models

Last edited by spijun; 04-18-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
With the new maps exist versions of the firmware (update software) MMI for MY2009-2012 and MY2013-2015, - because different hardware.
Upgrade map is the same for all models
Are they all on the same SD card? Or are different cards need to be ordered? And how would I know if my firmware was updated, do you suggest that the firmware version for old MMI will stay old (as seen in settings)? And if yes, then would navigation database version stay old in the same screen as well?

And just a sanity check, the roads should look identical regardless which MMI you are using if the update happened correctly, right?
Old 04-20-2015, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Are they all on the same SD card? Or are different cards need to be ordered? And how would I know if my firmware was updated, do you suggest that the firmware version for old MMI will stay old (as seen in settings)? And if yes, then would navigation database version stay old in the same screen as well?

And just a sanity check, the roads should look identical regardless which MMI you are using if the update happened correctly, right?
I really do not understand where you think to buy a firmware, maps, activation ????? Audi this not sell, it is only for dealers
Do you know how to make a software upgrade ????? Wrong procedure , results in a destroyed MMI ($ 3,000)

Activation map is not sold, only the dealer can do it

Good luck
Old 04-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I really do not understand where you think to buy a firmware, maps, activation ????? Audi this not sell, it is only for dealers
Do you know how to make a software upgrade ????? Wrong procedure , results in a destroyed MMI ($ 3,000)

Activation map is not sold, only the dealer can do it

Good luck
Oh! I am not trying to do it myself, but I want at least to check myself that they did everything correctly. Because right now I do not see anything updated - neither roads nor any of the versions. I did requested the refund and will try different dealership, but if there is a problem there as well I want to be able to explain it to them (at least in order to get money back). So far I still do not have answers to the following questions:

1) Had anyone seen with their own eyes that when updating old audi (e.g. Q5 2010) then software version is changing in the setting screen? Note, this is not about whether software should be updated, but whether the version is visibly changing.

2) Had anyone seen with their own eyes that navigation database version is changing in the setting screen?

3) Are there multiple versions of software on SD card that dealership purchases, including the one that my car requires?

4) Are there multiple version of the databases on SD card that dealership purchases? Because it may be that if there are different versions of software (for different years of the car) they may require different databases formats. In this case, is there chance that those databases contain different road information, i.e. the roads may be updated in one but not in another?

Finally, does anyone know how can I contact the "real audi" to get this explained?
Old 04-20-2015, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh! I am not trying to do it myself, but I want at least to check myself that they did everything correctly. Because right now I do not see anything updated - neither roads nor any of the versions. I did requested the refund and will try different dealership, but if there is a problem there as well I want to be able to explain it to them (at least in order to get money back). So far I still do not have answers to the following questions:

1) Had anyone seen with their own eyes that when updating old audi (e.g. Q5 2010) then software version is changing in the setting screen? Note, this is not about whether software should be updated, but whether the version is visibly changing.

2) Had anyone seen with their own eyes that navigation database version is changing in the setting screen?

3) Are there multiple versions of software on SD card that dealership purchases, including the one that my car requires?

4) Are there multiple version of the databases on SD card that dealership purchases? Because it may be that if there are different versions of software (for different years of the car) they may require different databases formats. In this case, is there chance that those databases contain different road information, i.e. the roads may be updated in one but not in another?

Finally, does anyone know how can I contact the "real audi" to get this explained?
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) NO

Bye-bye
Old 04-21-2015, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes