Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sirius/XM Renewal Deals?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sirius/XM Renewal Deals?

I recently let my Sirius/XM subscription expire. They wanted something like $178 to renew! We like the variety, especially on trips, but not THAT much. Got an offer in the mail for $25 for 6 months which sounds good.

My question is, has anyone received an offer for 12 months? I'll probably just wait and see if anything better comes in the mail. Thanks for any info.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I recently let my Sirius/XM subscription expire. They wanted something like $178 to renew! We like the variety, especially on trips, but not THAT much. Got an offer in the mail for $25 for 6 months which sounds good.

My question is, has anyone received an offer for 12 months? I'll probably just wait and see if anything better comes in the mail. Thanks for any info.
the $25 offer is generally the best one you'll get. The trick is that they will want a cc # and it will auto renew at the full price unless you call and cancel again, and then they will offer you a similar deal, like $30 for six more months. Its a bit of a game but they are pretty used to extending your subscription like this.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jslchmank
the $25 offer is generally the best one you'll get. The trick is that they will want a cc # and it will auto renew at the full price unless you call and cancel again, and then they will offer you a similar deal, like $30 for six more months. Its a bit of a game but they are pretty used to extending your subscription like this.
Thanks. I figured it would be that way and was hoping for something in the 12 month range and avoid the song and dance after just 6 months.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Thanks. I figured it would be that way and was hoping for something in the 12 month range and avoid the song and dance after just 6 months.
Bob, the way around this is to buy a $25 prepaid debit card and purchase the subscription for $20 for five months. Then they can't automatically renew you at the increased amount. Have a go.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pj.pinelli
Bob, the way around this is to buy a $25 prepaid debit card and purchase the subscription for $20 for five months. Then they can't automatically renew you at the increased amount. Have a go.
No need for this.... Just call them back a week later and ask them to bill you via mail or thru invoice....

I got them to do a year of their Sirius Select plan for $89, but $50 is better...just make sure it is the plan you want and not just their Mostly Music plan, unless you want that...they wouldn't really budge on their All Access plan from my experience...

I wanted Howard Stern so I made sure I got Select, but Mostly Music is good if you don't care for Howard.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have two cars with XM radio and never pay the full 170+ they want to renew. There's no trick to it, ask to speak to someone to cancel your subscription, you're not going to pay 170. They always find a "special offer" underway they can switch me to. $95 tax included for the year, all the music channels, no sports channels.

Give it a try. They're hurting with people dropping subscriptions and opting for pandora and other free or cheaper alternatives.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yup...just call and request to cancel your subscription a week or so before the renewal date. I've done this 3 years in a row and they always come up with some $100/year offer. When they say no, then I'll just cancel it. It's not worth any more than that imho
Old 11-19-2014, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

My wife likes Cousin Brucie, so we're playing the $20.00 for five months game
I refuse to listen to the crappy sound quality in my car, even when it was free. I wouldn't pay ten cents for Sirius.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DucDude
Yup...just call and request to cancel your subscription a week or so before the renewal date. I've done this 3 years in a row and they always come up with some $100/year offer. When they say no, then I'll just cancel it. It's not worth any more than that imho
They key here is to make sure you cancel before the renewal date. Last year I used a virtual card with a 2 month expiration date and set spending amount. I figured when they tried to renew my subscription, the card would be no good and they would just shut off my service. I could then call them and do the dance for a lower rate. They did not shut off the service after my subscription expired and started billing me the full rate, about $16/mo. I called and asked why they were billing me when my subscription had expired and was informed that they will do that unless I cancel before the renewal date. I signed up for another year at about $80 with another virtual card number and paid the extra $16 they had billed to my account. Now that I know how the rest of the game is played, I'll be sure to cancel before the subscription expires.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by - B -
No need for this.... Just call them back a week later and ask them to bill you via mail or thru invoice....

I got them to do a year of their Sirius Select plan for $89, but $50 is better...just make sure it is the plan you want and not just their Mostly Music plan, unless you want that...they wouldn't really budge on their All Access plan from my experience...

I wanted Howard Stern so I made sure I got Select, but Mostly Music is good if you don't care for Howard.
Got an All Access plan for $119/year few days ago

Quick Reply: Sirius/XM Renewal Deals?