Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Size of Tires for Q5

Old 12-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Size of Tires for Q5

Hello again,
Having ordered wheels, we are now looking for snow tires to put on said wheels. We found a set with about 50% tread life left on them. They are Maxxis (I know, the only Maxxis tires I have ever owned are on my bike) brand and they are 245/65R17. We have a few questions about them:
1. They are approximately 10 mm taller than the standard size overall diameter of the tire. Will this affect the speedometer, traction control, etc. significantly?
2. Because of the increased sidewall height and section width, should we be concerned about rubbing when wheels are all the way at lock?
3. Lastly, has anyone ever run Maxxis tires before? The model is HT-760, which I believe means they are an all-season highway touring tire, so I suspect traction may be compromised slightly in favor of ride comfort. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I should add that the recommended size of a 17 inch tire for the Q5 is 235/65R17.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Maxxis tires first time I hear of this company.
Maybe it would be better to consider a proven brands of tires: Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone....
Why 245 because for snow is better when the tire is narrow

Good luck with the choice of tires

Last edited by spijun; 12-03-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
Maxxis tires first time I hear of this company.
Maybe it would be better to consider a proven brands of tires: Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone....
Why 245 because for snow is better when the tire is narrow

Good luck with the choice of tires
I've heard of Maxxis for bicycle tires.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
I've heard of Maxxis for bicycle tires.
+1

Old 12-03-2013, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by stimm32
Hello again,
Having ordered wheels, we are now looking for snow tires to put on said wheels. We found a set with about 50% tread life left on them. They are Maxxis (I know, the only Maxxis tires I have ever owned are on my bike) brand and they are 245/65R17. We have a few questions about them:
1. They are approximately 10 mm taller than the standard size overall diameter of the tire. Will this affect the speedometer, traction control, etc. significantly?
2. Because of the increased sidewall height and section width, should we be concerned about rubbing when wheels are all the way at lock?
3. Lastly, has anyone ever run Maxxis tires before? The model is HT-760, which I believe means they are an all-season highway touring tire, so I suspect traction may be compromised slightly in favor of ride comfort. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
I really think you nees to start from the beginning. First, an all-season highway tire is not a snow tire by any means. The type of tire that you bought typically has very small and shallow tread blocks and ithe rubber compound is vey hard to maximize tread life. Winter tires are literally the opposite of the tires you purchased. They have deep and large tread blocks so the tire tread will not get plugged with snow. The rubber compound is also very soft so that in colder temperatures the rubber remains pliable. Winter tires also have small cuts in the tires called sipes which further allow the tread to flex and enhance traction on ice. Second, I'll bet that Maxxis is a Chinese brand and they were probably very inexpensive. As Spijun says, when it comes to tires, stick with the known brands. The Chinese companies cannot match the quality and engineering of the major brands. Third, the tire size is incorrect . As already mentioned, 235/65/17 is the proper size. To see the effect of the incorrect tire size on speedo, etc, search "miata tire size calculator".

Last edited by NABS4; 12-03-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
I really think you nees to start from the beginning. First, an all-season highway tire is not a snow tire by any means. The type of tire that you bought typically has very small and shallow tread blocks and ithe rubber compound is vey hard to maximize tread life. Winter tires are literally the opposite of the tires you purchased. They have deep and large tread blocks so the tire tread will not get plugged with snow. The rubber compound is also very soft so that in colder temperatures the rubber remains pliable. Winter tires also have small cuts in the tires called sipes which further allow the tread to flex and enhance traction on ice. Second, I'll bet that Maxxis is a Chinese brand and they were probably very inexpensive. As Spijun says, when it comes to tires, stick with the known brands. The Chinese companies cannot match the quality and engineering of the major brands. Third, the tire size is incorrect . As already mentioned, 235/65/17 is the proper size. To see the effect of the incorrect tire size on speedo, etc, search "miata tire size calculator".
Maxxis is mainly known for the bicycle tires they produce. In the MTB world, they are the most sold tire company. They are one of chosen brand of bicycle team companies on the World Cup circuit (UCI).

Asfor the car tires, I have no idea of what they have to offer!
:-)
Old 12-03-2013, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is a link to view the size of tire vs speedomter error:https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2853705
Old 12-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I promise that I know what snow tires are. We live in the Northwest and go skiing every weekend, so we're familiar with snow. And I appreciate the links to the speedo errors calculator, that helps a lot. We have used Maxxis tires for our bikes for years, they make fantastic tires for mountain bikes and dirt bikes, not so sure about their ability to make car tires. I think we will likely get the Bridgestone Blizzaks. Anybody ever had these? Are they really as good as they say? We have run Nokians for years and years on our old Allroad, but they don't have many Nokians in sizes for the Q5, and they are quite expensive, so we are venturing out.

Thanks again!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by stimm32
I promise that I know what snow tires are. We live in the Northwest and go skiing every weekend, so we're familiar with snow. And I appreciate the links to the speedo errors calculator, that helps a lot. We have used Maxxis tires for our bikes for years, they make fantastic tires for mountain bikes and dirt bikes, not so sure about their ability to make car tires. I think we will likely get the Bridgestone Blizzaks. Anybody ever had these? Are they really as good as they say? We have run Nokians for years and years on our old Allroad, but they don't have many Nokians in sizes for the Q5, and they are quite expensive, so we are venturing out.

Thanks again!
Blizzaks are good and so are Dunlop 3Ds and 4Ds (but they did not have sizes for my Q5 - not sure if they do now)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Size of Tires for Q5