Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Smart door handles not so good in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 08:40 AM
Ts0
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mact
Mine work perfectly, even with gloves on. (I have smart touch gloves designed for touch screens)
North Face e-tip's?
Old 02-22-2015, 09:09 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Move somewhere warmer. Problem solved.
No doubt - just in the middle of a 3 week road trip to Phoenix and everything on the Q👌.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Keener
On a little different twist... Ive noticed that when I wash the car (and have the keys in my pocket) the car repeatedly locks and unlocks itself... odd ;>)
Same here Don.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had quite a few issues in the cold. It appears to happen most frequently when it is not only cold, but when there is a lot of moisture on the exterior of the car. It doesn't matter if I use smart gloves or bare hands - it just doesn't sense my finger swipe in certain conditions. Unlocking generally has not been an issue - the issue is the lack of tactile recognition to lock the vehicle.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Keener
On a little different twist... Ive noticed that when I wash the car (and have the keys in my pocket) the car repeatedly locks and unlocks itself... odd ;>)
Yup. Mine too.

I guess the water triggers the sensor just like a finger does?
Old 02-23-2015, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dcl23
I've had quite a few issues in the cold. It appears to happen most frequently when it is not only cold, but when there is a lot of moisture on the exterior of the car. It doesn't matter if I use smart gloves or bare hands - it just doesn't sense my finger swipe in certain conditions. Unlocking generally has not been an issue - the issue is the lack of tactile recognition to lock the vehicle.
that's about exactly my experience as well.

-A
Old 02-23-2015, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Very odd that I have had none of these problems... and it's been cold in Chicago the past 2 winters. I wonder the difference?

I've worked on some designs with capacitive and resistive touch screens and sensors, and they can be a real bear to tune across a lot of different operating conditions. I've always been impressed with how well Audi has done with theirs.

Back to the topic though... I wonder if there is a lot of variability in the door sensors - some work well, some not so much
Old 02-23-2015, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Avant4Adam
Anyone else with the smart key/smart door handles find that the grip-door-handle-to-unlock function doesn't work reliably when the temp gets below about 30 degrees F? Even with a bare hand, which is *cold* when it's 5 degrees out.
i havent encountered this issue yet. i am in Philly and we have had brutal subzero temps - wind chills at -15, but touching the handles to unlock hasnt failed me yet.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Move somewhere warmer. Problem solved.
lol. if i lived somewhere warmer, i would not have an AWD vehicle. my daily would probably be a Cayman or a 370Z. so Audi can thank me for living in the Philly area.

Originally Posted by NorthValley
Same here Don.
thirded. i always leave the keys in the car when i am washing it.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dcl23
Mine's a 2013 Q5 3.0T. I have the extact same issues. I wondered whether it is me: the temperature of my hands, or the moisture or lack thereof on my hands, or the temperature of the car, static electricity, or what? I have not noticed the issue in warmer weather.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjm3457
Mine's a 2013 Q5 3.0T. I have the extact same issues. I wondered whether it is me: the temperature of my hands, or the moisture or lack thereof on my hands, or the temperature of the car, static electricity, or what? I have not noticed the issue in warmer weather.
My 2013 Q5 3.0T has the same issue. The door handles (all of them) seem less sensitive to my touch. I mentioned this to the dealer and they could not repeat the issue. If there's a single sensor that triggers the locking mechanism, mine is definitely failing to do the job consistently.

Quick Reply: Smart door handles not so good in the cold