Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Snow tire reccomendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snow tire reccomendation

This will be my second winter with the Q5. I stayed with the original tires last winter and it rolled through the winter superbly. The tires are nearing 20k so I am thinking of getting snows, and would appreciate any recommendations. I had a set of Blizzaks on an A4 and an older 5 series, and we have run Nokian's on my wife's Highlander.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As soon as she bought it, I put a set of Nokian Hakka R2 on wife's Q5. So far so good, and we have been getting slammed with snow here in Michigan this past week.

I run General Altimax Arctic on my 5-series, and they're very capable tires as well.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I run Pirelli Scorpion Winter (not Scorpion Ice and Snow) and they seem to do well for my aggressive driving style and regular runs up into the mountains. They aren't a revelation like the Michelin PA4, but we can't get that in our sizes.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Not enough data (but...have at it w/ individual experiences...); also, simple search

It would be helpful to know geography, desire for max traction vs. better dry/highway feel/less noise, frequency of icy local conditions, and wheel size. Depending on those variables, choices (and availability) varies, in some cases to whole different sets of choices/comparables.

Also, simple search can yield more data than any given sample set of replies. Winter wheels/tire subject also running just a screen or so down. Just cursor down a bit. One example: SQ5 Winter Wheels/Tires - AudiWorld Forums . SQ5 by caption, but same general parameters apply other than maybe greater prevalence of larger wheels at margin.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-21-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the recommendations and experiences, and the suggested tips when posting. Just to add, I live in the Albany NY area, and will drive into the nearby mountain areas for skiing, as well as out to the western part of NYS to visit family. Winter can bring driving surprises in those areas. I will likely stay with 18's, and don't need as much traction as I would if I were living near the great lakes.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuso
and don't need as much traction as I would if I were living near the great lakes.
No such thing as "too much traction."
Old 11-21-2014, 11:54 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
I run General Altimax Arctic on my 5-series, and they're very capable tires as well.
X2 Same tire I've been using for the past few seasons. They grip very well had wear pretty well too.

Can't be the affordability either!

Jason
Old 11-21-2014, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had DM-V1s installed today. Swapped out the OEM Conti's on the 19's. I used to have dedicated summer/winter sets for my cars, but recently switched to swapping tires only. Too early to tell performance, but from what I read the DM-V1s just edged out the Xi2s. I had Xi2s on a G35 and liked them though.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds for snows on my S4 for my 4+ years, and didn't even consider anything but those for my SQ. They're directional, a bit noisier, but both the S4 and now the SQ5 drive like tanks in the snow. Highly recommended.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys have DM-V2? It hit the market this year, I already got them for my new Q. Just one snow driving but tank experience confirmed

Quick Reply: Snow tire reccomendation