Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

speedometer change from kmh to mph?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I feel your pain trying to get just a speedometer face. You would think that all these shops that perform custom cluster face conversions would have the OEM faces laying around.
Being a SQ5 face makes it more rare. Your best hope if to find a smashed up SQ5 that had a bad cluster and maybe get it very cheap.
I hear you...I've looked on ebay and nothing comes up, what exactly do they do with all those OEM gauge faces? Probably tossed in the trash and hence why I'm now waiting on an outfit based in the UK to get back to me on getting just the speedo face. It still beats putting in a new cluster, since a number of costs would be incurred:
cost of the cluster, cost to remove component protection, cost to change odometer to actual miles.

Considering that the SQ5 can be changed to mpg for most everything via my VCDS...that should be all I need

Display Options
-Temperature Display (Celsius / Fahrenheit)
-Distance Display (Kilometers / Miles)
-Speed Display (km/h / mph)
-Pressure Display (bar / PSI)
-Fuel Volume Display (Liter / Gallon (USA) / Gallon (Great Britain))
-Time Display (24h / 12h AM/PM)
-Date Display (dd/mm/yyyy / mm/dd/yyyy)
-Consumption Display (mpg (Great Britain) / mpg (USA) / l/100km / km/l)
Old 05-25-2016, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer conversion

For most Audi cars you just need to replace the gauge face. My firm does the conversion, as well as reprogramming (if needed). If you're in Toronto, email me at bonafide.ua@gmail.com
Old 05-25-2016, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Old thread. But I live on a border town in NY. There are a few cars here that are imported from Canada and did not need the gauges swapped. I highly doubt this is necessary. I would like to see the written law. Maybe NY is different though. I know like 3 people with speedometers that are in KPH.. Lol... On a side note, there's a 2013 Audi A4 for sale at my local used euro dealer that was bought at auction in Canada, still has kph gauges and all. Any update on what the outcome was?
Old 09-21-2018, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D3Audi
Old thread. But I live on a border town in NY. There are a few cars here that are imported from Canada and did not need the gauges swapped. I highly doubt this is necessary. I would like to see the written law. Maybe NY is different though. I know like 3 people with speedometers that are in KPH.. Lol... On a side note, there's a 2013 Audi A4 for sale at my local used euro dealer that was bought at auction in Canada, still has kph gauges and all. Any update on what the outcome was?
Resurrected the thread!

I am in same boat. I am trying to import my A5 from Canada to US. The law says you need to get Compliance letter from Audi USA. I got one and it says I need to change speedometer from KM to Miles. If you don't have that letter the car may stuck in the customs and you need to go get it yourself. (I am planning to use moving company for the import). I bought a used instrument cluster for $170 (Original Audi Service told me it would cost CAD $3550 to change the instrument cluster (CAD$3400 for the part and CAD$150 for the service). I was talking to 3rd party Audi services and they said that they can reprogram the used cluster but they can't change the odometer reading. So I was wondering if possible to change only the face plate of my original cluster. If possible I will do it.