Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 - Alcantara Door Inserts w/ Nappa Leather package???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 03:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pfgray2008
This looks horrible I would never purchase a car with this......
Ha. That's basically what my interior looks like, but in light gray.

Originally Posted by snig
2014 and 2015 leather package have matching leather door cards! Something definitely changed for 2016. SQ5 and S5 owners have noticed the same thing. I would be pissed. You ordered and paid for LEATHER.
Thanks for the confirmation, I'm glad that it wasn't a factory screw up but disappointed that Audi made this minor (and weird) change for 2016. Perhaps they're trying to recoup some of the cost of the MMI Tech bundle versus the a la carte options from years past.

Originally Posted by SuperQkc
This picture shows a DEEP black in comparison to my so called black interior. they will probably claim "different lighting" which is total hogwash
Lighting does play a huge role in appearance for both pictures and real life. Lunar Silver is blown out and looks practically white in the Audi pictures but it's actually a soft, light gray in reality. Manufacturers' website photos are typically pretty bad about color matching to reality.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Am I the only one not drinking the spiked Cool-aid? How is this not false advertising or a factory mistake on Audi? I can not find any reference to this change in door panel inserts anywhere but this web forum. For those that don't think it's a big deal let me propose a hypothetical scenario, you test drive 2015 SQ5 decide to place an order for 2016 with Sport front seats in Black/ Chestnut Brown leather and several months later and you get this. I would be absolutely furious. Especially since Audi online build emulator and consumer brochures are all showing the wrong images! I've went ahead called Audi of America for some clarification on this screwup.

Name:  SQ2016.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  44.5 KB
Attached Images   
Old 08-12-2015, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that's not good. I like alcantara too, but I want my seats to match the door cards.

My 2015 does have fine nappa leather matched door cards to the seats.

That stinks they changed that.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I’m in the process of making a huge stink about this with Audi solely because I’m about to order a SQ5 I intend to get what pay for! If I somehow end up with Alcantra without discloser from Audi I’ll refuse delivery or demand replacement inserts be ordered. For Christ sakes the 2016 3.0T Q5 gets leather so why hell not the SQ5! I've placed several emails to reps at Audi USA and a few call today so hopefully someone will look into this timely fashion.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I’m in the process of making a huge stink about this with Audi solely because I’m about to order a SQ5 I intend to get what pay for! If I somehow end up with Alcantra without discloser from Audi I’ll refuse delivery or demand replacement inserts be ordered. For Christ sakes the 2016 3.0T Q5 gets leather so why hell not the SQ5! I've placed several emails to reps at Audi USA and a few call today so hopefully someone will look into this timely fashion.
Please let us know how it turns out. I definitely don't like the Alcantara but not enough to lead the charge because the SQ5 is otherwise brilliant and my trade-in has already been shipped off to auction, I'm sure.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I heard back from a customer service Rep at Audi today he’s going to look into this Alcantara door panel mix up and get back to me. It took a while to explain the situation but I got my point across after sending him a few photos that proves I’m not going crazy. I figure the more customers that complain about this the likelier something positive will come out of it.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is just weird. Why would they randomly throw alcantara in there? It makes no visual or style sense but maybe saves them $1?
Old 08-14-2015, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

This looks horrible I would never purchase a car with this......
Back to the 70's with Alcantara!
Old 08-16-2015, 01:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't prefer the change either. Audi should at least make it optional. A reviewer on youtube noticed it as well for the 2016 SQ5. A close-up of the build sheet only reveals Alcantara / leather seats as part of the standard build that I could find. Nothing specific regarding the door inserts.

~0.55 second mark for the Alcantara and build sheet.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Warning: Prepare for angry rant!

After half dozen email and at least 6-8 phone calls I finally got a response from Audi customer service rep I’ve been working with. She explained that unfortunately Audi manufacturing decided in June allegedly to switch over the door insert and apparently no one noticed! The minor change didn’t make the order guide or the online emulator or any other form of documentation. Further Audi can no longer offer matching door panels regardless if you select Nappa or two tone leather seating. Essentially you’re stuck with Alcantara . But hears the best part folks if you really want leather door inserts all you have to do is add the Audi exclusive package it’s only $4,000 to $8000! WTF Audi this clearly false advertising I feel totally lied too. The rep went on to explain that they were grateful that I brought this to their attention but I got the feeling they really don’t care. To this day Audi U.S site still shows you can get Nappa door panels and I’m doubtful they will even bother to change the site. I still can’t wrap my head around this decision of theirs. Why change it in the first place, furthermore why would anyone pay for leather package and get cloth? Even better how is it that I can order 2016 Q5 3.0T and get leather door panels but not on SQ5? It's the same F$#@ platform!

I was hoping for a resolution that would make it possible to have Audi switch out the inserts or at the least make it an option for customers during manufacturing. Hell I was even considering ordering separate door panels and have Audi switch them out. At the very least I should have been compensated for paying for $1200 for the leather package that I’m only getting 75% coverage!

Currently I’m trying to find out where my vehicle is in production process to see if I can change it back to Alcantara standard seating. I see no point in paying a premium for leather and not getting what I paid for.

Last edited by pfgray2008; 09-09-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: SQ5 - Alcantara Door Inserts w/ Nappa Leather package???