Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Delivery question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 Delivery question

I ordered a SQ5 on May 30th. I found out recently that my SQ5 will be built the week of July 6th, but still no date for delivery.

My question is after the build, how long does it take the car to be delivered?
I live in South Carolina, so I'm not so far away from the ports the ship will deliver.
I am thinking it takes at least 1-2 weeks after the build to fill the ship. Then 3 weeks for the ship travel, 2 weeks for customs and delivery to the dealer.

Does 7 weeks after the build sound right for me to take delivery?
Any information is appreciate.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It can of course vary, but these were my relevant dates for my 2014 Q5:

9-10: Factory inspected
9-13: Departure port arrived
10-1: Ship loaded (missed several ships)
10-21: Port arrived (Houston)
10-25: Delivered (didn't bother getting the Release to Carrier actual date since I had my car, but the original ETA was 10-25 with an arrival at the dealer sometime the next week)

So for my particular case it took about 1.5 months, but from hitting Emden to being loaded it took longer than average, I'm sure. So "typical" might be a week or so less, maybe, but each step can vary based on a number of factors.

It seems odd that there's no ETA for you, though, since in my case I never had a build ETA but had all the subsequent steps' ETAs, including arrival at dealer (funnily enough, for the week I actually took delivery in the end). Obviously Audi's ETAs aren't guarantees, but especially with your S having a build date that's not far off, you should definitely have ETAs for port arrivals, release to carrier, and arrival at dealer ("week of"). I had all that within a week of ordering, so it seems odd that you wouldn't have them even now.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jengram
I ordered a SQ5 on May 30th. I found out recently that my SQ5 will be built the week of July 6th, but still no date for delivery.

My question is after the build, how long does it take the car to be delivered?
I live in South Carolina, so I'm not so far away from the ports the ship will deliver.
I am thinking it takes at least 1-2 weeks after the build to fill the ship. Then 3 weeks for the ship travel, 2 weeks for customs and delivery to the dealer.

Any information is appreciate.
Your estimates are close except it only takes about a 8 days for the ship to travel to the East coast. Then about a week to clear the port and 2-8 days to reach the dealer depending on distance from the port. YMMV but mine took less than 4 weeks after build to hit the dealer (my dealer is an hour from the Davisville, RI port).
Old 06-23-2015, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jengram
That would be worst case scenario, IMO. It can take less than that.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My dealer had me signed up to receive "Owner in Waiting" updates, but I have not received any from that source. The following information I drummed up for other sources, including this very helpful forum, and have been using the MarineTraffic iphone app to follow the ship's progress.

4/28 - Order submitted to factory
6/6 - Ship loaded in Emden
6/17 - Halifax
6/21 - Jacksonville
6/26 - Houston (scheduled)
7/20 - St. Louis (scheduled...though dealer said 2 weeks after port arrival in perfect conditions would be better estimate...7/10)
Old 06-23-2015, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are the dates for my Q5 order.... This was a Brunswick, Ga port delivery. Now they go into Jacksonville, Fl instead. Should be very little difference.
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2015, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is my 2016 SQ5 information from dealer
5/17 order submitted
6/8 production
6/13 out production
7/8 San Diego
week of 7/13 at dealer
Old 06-24-2015, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

7 sounds right. From build to delivery was approx 9 weeks for me but I was stuck at the US port for approx three of those weeks - US port should have been only 5 days or so.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I've ordered my 2016 SQ5 last week, and my sales rep told me that because of all "sold order" stuff I've ordered it will take a while to pull all these things together. So far he told me it will arrive around end of October, but more precise ETA will be available once the car will be scheduled for production. This is the first time I'm buying a new car - let alone a "special order" one - so it's kinda hard to accept such long wait...
Old 08-10-2015, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by asmi84
I've ordered my 2016 SQ5 last week, and my sales rep told me that because of all "sold order" stuff I've ordered it will take a while to pull all these things together. So far he told me it will arrive around end of October, but more precise ETA will be available once the car will be scheduled for production. This is the first time I'm buying a new car - let alone a "special order" one - so it's kinda hard to accept such long wait...
If you mean you ordered various options from the order guide, that is not a "Special order". A true special order would be if you ordered a paint color or some other interior color combo not listed in the order guide.

Audi's assembly line is geared to build any order guide option like any other car on the line. The only thing that would delay or extend the time would be if a supplier part was back ordered, a rare occurrence due to Audi's sophisticated supply chain.

If your car was not a true "special order" as above, it should take about 12-14 weeks from order to dealer assuming your dealer has allocations to cover your order. If not, THAT would definitely delay things.

Quick Reply: SQ5 Delivery question