Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 ECU vagaries

Old 06-11-2014, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 ECU vagaries

Hi folks My SQ5 has now done 10k insix months Love the car [ truck] but some lunatic who has obviously never driven in anger ie fast has written the ECU programme that when you Left foot brake as many do with automatic tranies the accelerator is '" inhibited "" and this cause a hesitation before the engine picks up agian.. this fine till you are doing a turn infront of a fast approaching truck !!! I do not need economy messages telling me I have the window open and the A/C on !! I know that I just opened the window. Where do they get these people If I have both feet on the pedals at tje same time I am aware of this.. The car casts me a minor fortune and 2-3 mpg will not break me , I hope Yours in hope This is supposed to be a drivers car Ralph S
Old 06-11-2014, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Perhaps the solution is to not have both feet on the brake and accelerator at the same time while the car is moving?
Old 06-11-2014, 06:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Perhaps the solution is to not have both feet on the brake and accelerator at the same time while the car is moving?
Perhaps. But maybe you are not pushing the gas and brake hard enough?
Old 06-11-2014, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphsmall
Hi folks My SQ5 has now done 10k insix months Love the car [ truck] but some lunatic who has obviously never driven in anger ie fast has written the ECU programme that when you Left foot brake as many do with automatic tranies the accelerator is '" inhibited "" and this cause a hesitation before the engine picks up agian..
You would have to know Audi's history in the US and the whole "unintended acceleration" fiasco that occurred in the 80s to understand why Audi did this. Back then people were inadvertently pressing both pedals with one foot, causing their Audi 5000 to accelerate when they didn't want it to. It was a user error, but to prevent this from happening, Audi changed the programming so that when brake press is detected, throttle is automatically cut, whether you're pressing the accelerator pedal or not. I suppose that is what you're observing.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
You would have to know Audi's history in the US and the whole "unintended acceleration" fiasco that occurred in the 80s to understand why Audi did this. Back then people were inadvertently pressing both pedals with one foot, causing their Audi 5000 to accelerate when they didn't want it to. It was a user error, but to prevent this from happening, Audi changed the programming so that when brake press is detected, throttle is automatically cut, whether you're pressing the accelerator pedal or not. I suppose that is what you're observing.
Toyota/Lexus started using the throttle override system in their cars after the unintended acceleration fiasco. I believe it's becoming pretty common these days.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Passenger cars should always be driven with one foot right ?

Use only right foot and all will be good...and put it in Dynamic if you want quick response.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Those who say cars should always be driven with 1 foot have obviously never watched WRC/Rally Racing. It's possible to do some pretty amazing things at ridiculous speeds if you know what you're doing. Whether the SQ5 is the right car to be doing so is left to the individual to decide.

I happen to agree w/the OP that this is lowest common denominator, nanny-ism run amuck.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With so many people ready to sue anyone at anytime at the drop of a hat, these nannies aren't going away anytime soon. To a certain degree, I can see the automakers erring on the side of caution.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
Those who say cars should always be driven with 1 foot have obviously never watched WRC/Rally Racing. It's possible to do some pretty amazing things at ridiculous speeds if you know what you're doing. Whether the SQ5 is the right car to be doing so is left to the individual to decide.
Don't those rally drivers mostly use the other foot for the clutch?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
Those who say cars should always be driven with 1 foot have obviously never watched WRC/Rally Racing.
And how many of those WRC cars are actually street legal?

Q5 was designed to be a soccer mom mobile, not some stunt car.

As the other poster noted, we are a very litigious society where people are quick to blame a rich corporation for their own stupidity, and for this reason, Audi and other manufacturers are going to install more and more nannies in their street cars. The alternative would be very costly.

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 06-11-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SQ5 ECU vagaries