Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5: Engine surging when cold.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5: Engine surging when cold.

I've only had the car a few days and have noticed the engine seems to have an issue where it surges when cold.

For example: In the morning I back out of my driveway, then when I put it in Drive and ease on the gas it surges and dies down a bit - kind of like a bucking bronco. It does this a couple of times and eventually engages. The whole episode might last one or two seconds the next few times I step on the gas after a stop.

Another example: This happened when I was going down the ramp in a parking garage this afternoon just after turning on the car: When I got off the gas and eased on the brake to take a turn down the parking garage, it did the same surging as I started to apply the brake.

It also bucked once when I was in stop-and-go-traffic.

The issue seems to get much better or go away once I've driven for a bit.

I haven't been able to look at the rpm gauge while the surging was happening. I'm going to try to get a video of it in the morning.

Has anyone experienced this? Would this throw a code that the dealer could check?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After a month with my SQ5 I've only racked up about 1000 miles, but I haven't experienced anything like that with mine....knock on wood!
Old 06-05-2014, 05:26 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Nope, sorry. Hope you get to the bottom of it quickly. Steve
Old 06-05-2014, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

is your drive select set to dynamic? or if set to custom, do you have the trans set to dynamic? are you accidentally putting the car into Sport mode when you shift from park to drive? i have done that a couple times myself. the only way i notice that i did it is because of the unsmooth (i.e., noticeable up and down shifts) shifting that comes with selecting S mode, and that could explain your "bucking." this is the easy explanation. if you aren't in S mode i would def take it to the dealer. from what you wrote, it seems repeatable, so the dealer should be able to experience the issue.

Last edited by -hef-; 06-05-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by -hef-
is your drive select set to dynamic? or if set to custom, do you have the trans set to dynamic? are you accidentally putting the car into Sport mode when you shift from park to drive? i have done that a couple times myself. the only way i notice that i did it is because of the unsmooth (i.e., noticeable up and down shifts) shifting that comes with selecting S mode, and that could explain your "bucking." this is the easy explanation. if you aren't in S mode i would def take it to the dealer. from what you wrote, it seems repeatable, so the dealer should be able to experience the issue.
I second what hef said --- When I had accidentally rolled to custom on the drive select, the shift was noticeably more harsh, especially easing into first using S mode. This could be different altogether and if so I hope that you are able to find a resolution quickly. Good look.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I didn't notice which mode it was in. When I get back in the car I'll try dynamic and comfort modes to see if I can replicate it.

So would you say the "bucking" in dynamic is normal?
Old 06-05-2014, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by miamigrrl [midori]
I didn't notice which mode it was in. When I get back in the car I'll try dynamic and comfort modes to see if I can replicate it.

So would you say the "bucking" in dynamic is normal?
non-smooth shifts in sport mode is normal. I asked about dynamic bc I think if u have it set to that, the car goes into sport mode automatically when u put it in drive. and u wouldn't know unless u leaned over and looked. so next time u shift into drive look at your heads up display for an S or a D. if S then u will have unsmooth shifting, which I think is synonymous with what you are calling bucking.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

non-smooth shifts in sport mode is normal. I asked about dynamic bc I think if u have it set to that, the car goes into sport mode automatically when u put it in drive. and u wouldn't know unless u leaned over and looked. so next time u shift into drive look at your heads up display for an S or a D. if S then u will have unsmooth shifting, which I think is synonymous with what you are calling bucking.
Perhaps the op can enlighten us but I don't think miamigirl was talking about downshifts. I agree downshifts in S-mode can feel "jerky". However, I understood that you always had to select S-mode using the gear lever regardless of whether you're in Comfort or Dynamic. Steve
Old 06-05-2014, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The transmission is clunky and can lurch during slow speed gear changes when first getting going if cold, but it irons out in about a minute for me. This is similar to some VW autos I've had in the past.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't noticed that issue, but the engine will idle up to over 1000 RPMs (don't remember the exact number) for a minute or so and then idle back down to around 500 RPMs when the engine is cold. It could be that is what you are feeling. You can simply wait for the car to idle back down and then put it in gear. See if that makes a difference.

Our Honda Element did it every time it was cold. I just got used to adding some brake to compensate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SQ5: Engine surging when cold.