Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Damning or Praising "with faint praise?"

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Damning or Praising "with faint praise?"

"Macan engineers claim that the Q5's suspension geometry was so good, they weren't tempted to change it." -- Road & Track, June 2014 issue, p 62.

The article reveals (again) that the Macan is 30% Q5.

I have only one issue with the article -- and it, at this point, may be a nit. We'll see how the Macan comparison tests are carried out.

My issue is that there is no mention of the SQ5, only the Q5. Now, I would assume, perhaps even HOPE that the Macan will be a rung or two up the ladder from the SQ5 (if it isn't, it will be difficult to swallow -- for some -- a 5 figure up-charge when "comparably" equipped.)

As the owner of an SQ5 with the Prestige package and several optional extras, I found I can configure a somewhat similar Macan S. Hopefully any comparison tests of the Macan with a Range Rover and something probably from Mercedes and BMW (and maybe even Volvo, who knows?) will also include an SQ5.

I would fully expect the Macan to come out on top in a 4 or 5 or even 6-way comparo -- not sure if the SQ5 would be a close but proud second or third place however. I assume the SQ5 would finish no worse than 3rd place in such company (often wrong, but never uncertain, am I).

My beef remains, Road & Track must KNOW ABOUT the SQ5 (hell, I think they even tested it), yet to keep "comparing" the Macan (obliquely) to a Q5 seems at best inaccurate.

Finally, I have been to our two local Porsche dealers twice in as many weeks -- there are NO Macans in sight or even under-wraps. I've been wanting to drive the SQ5 in and then test drive a Macan S and drive out in the SQ5 to give a sense of the similarities and differences (in driving, not cargo space, or some other non performance feature) between the two.

Frankly, if the Macan S IS all the article(s) make it out to be, Porsche ought to sell a ton of these things -- and Audi ought to make double sure the updated SQ5 makes a fantastic "sophomore" debut.

Winner: the car buying public.

Drive it like you live!

Last edited by markcincinnati; 05-06-2014 at 09:38 AM.