Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Height on 2015 Q5 without comprising stock feel.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 Height on 2015 Q5 without comprising stock feel.

hi people,

Is there any way I can reduce the height of my Q5 without paying for coilovers which i've read ruin the factory ride.

I don't know much about suspension, heights etc so i'm looking to know my options for reducing the height.

I'm not looking to spend 2k but would like to know what all options are.

Thanks for the advice
Old 03-03-2015, 02:21 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Not sure you'll find a well-engineered lowering solution for less than $2k. Also, fwiw, the U.S.-spec SQ5 is the same height as the Q5. Steve
Old 03-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by scrmorling
Not sure you'll find a well-engineered lowering solution for less than $2k. Also, fwiw, the U.S.-spec SQ5 is the same height as the Q5. Steve

Every SQ5 i have seen is lower.
Check out the pics?

Old 03-03-2015, 03:47 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Tjlala
Every SQ5 i have seen is lower.
Check out the pics?
Yep. Nice pics but, I'm sorry to say, they aren't the U.S. spec SQ5. Check the many, many threads on this board. To summarize, Audi USA capitulated to federal CAFE standards and left the U.S. spec cars at std height in order to get truck status and this avoid dragging down their CAFE numbers. Steve
Old 03-03-2015, 03:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by scrmorling
Yep. Nice pics but, I'm sorry to say, they aren't the U.S. spec SQ5. Check the many, many threads on this board. To summarize, Audi USA capitulated to federal CAFE standards and left the U.S. spec cars at std height in order to get truck status and this avoid dragging down their CAFE numbers. Steve
my mistake Steve,

I'm in Australia where is about 30mm lower. What is the difference between springs and coilovers from a ride quality perspective?
Old 03-03-2015, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

hi people,

Is there any way I can reduce the height of my Q5 without paying for coilovers which i've read ruin the factory ride.

I don't know much about suspension, heights etc so i'm looking to know my options for reducing the height.

I'm not looking to spend 2k but would like to know what all options are.

Thanks for the advice
Most are going with either H&R or KW springs with a 1.5 in drop all round to get the euro look. Springs with install are in the $600-800 neighborhood. Not a lot of commentary on feel though. From the little I have found and read the results are a little firmer and a touch harsher but not a dramatic change from stock. I am going with KW H.A.S springs when my Q gets here.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by masemoto
Most are going with either H&R or KW springs with a 1.5 in drop all round to get the euro look. Springs with install are in the $600-800 neighborhood. Not a lot of commentary on feel though. From the little I have found and read the results are a little firmer and a touch harsher but not a dramatic change from stock. I am going with KW H.A.S springs when my Q gets here.
Thanks for that!

any insight as to why you're choosing the KW springs? Will the audi drive select system still work as standard?
Old 03-03-2015, 05:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is there any way to reduce the height of the standard suspension system?
Old 03-03-2015, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for that!

any insight as to why you're choosing the KW springs? Will the audi drive select system still work as standard?
Check out this link >> http://fourtitude.com/news/Audi_News_1/kw-develops-adjustable-height-spring-suspension-kit-for-audi-q5-and-sq5/

They are a bit more expensive but give the height adjustment option vs H&R fixed height. And they work with ADS if you have it.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for that!
I should have said not that much different from a stock SQ5. Probably a greater and more noticeable difference on non-S models. Again this is just from what I have read so don't take my word for it.

Quick Reply: SQ5 Height on 2015 Q5 without comprising stock feel.