Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 - Low and Wide

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Alu Kreuz?
Old 07-06-2014, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
Alu Kreuz?
Alu Kreuz Billet Aluminum Drivetrain Stabilizer B8 A4/A5/S4/S5/Q5

http://www.ecodetuning.com/shop/cart..._detail&p=1994
Old 07-06-2014, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't lowering the suspension make the car more susceptible to damage when going over road humps or potholes? Does it really improve handling that much?
Old 07-06-2014, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
Really nice job! First mod Im looking to do is lower mine just about an inch...or to whatever the Euro spec is, and I'll also be adding about 10mm spacers, as I very much like the factory 21" wheels.
I'm curious about how much more lateral g forces you'll be able to grab with the lowering and wider stance. I keep looking for skidpad numbers for the Macans because I'm starting to wonder just how much better the Macan is.I hear a lot of people talking but the fact is, not many of them have driven either an SQ5 or a Macan, and most comparisons I've seen are the Macan and the Q5.....Apples and oranges.
So I'm thinking that with a little bit of work, I just might end up with a Macan beater.
Yeah, I know Porsches are just so damn awesome, but there are reasons I wanted the SQ5 instead of a Macan, and I happen to think this car is pretty damn awesome too.
Sorry to thread jack, but I did just that today. Test drove Macan S and SQ5 back to back at same dealer on the same route. FYI the Macan did not have PASM or torque vector option, nor a sunroof. The macan felt much tighter with better steering weight and precision. The engine was super smooth and the PDK amazingly quick and smooth. It made the very good ZF 8 speed seem slow and rough. The SQ5 felt surprisingly faster, though I could feel its weight more on harder corners. The biggest disappointment with the Macan was engine and exhaust noise or lack thereof. The SQ5 has a nice and sporty sound. Maybe some of that made it feel faster than it is. Fit and finish in the Macan is much better. Sq5 has larger cargo and more headroom, though not by much since the macan lacked the sunroof. At the end of the drive it was obvious which put a bigger smile on my face for the same or slightly less money. You would have to jump to the turbo to make it a better vehicle, but $$$. A Macan GTS would be perfect, maybe with the 3.0 TFSI.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the great comparison review. I just saw an article about a new "turbo" S Macan in the works. As a general rule, I stay away from first article car models, and by the time I'm ready to trade in the SQ5, maybe I'll still be young enough to enjoy the notch up in performance the Macan seems to offer, but I can honestly say that right now, I'm loving my Audi and am convinced that a few tweaks could put it on the same performance level for all practical purposes...But hey! These are crossovers we're talking about....If we were after real performance, we'd probably be chatting in a different forum, wouldn't we!👹

Originally Posted by Nick3753
Sorry to thread jack, but I did just that today. Test drove Macan S and SQ5 back to back at same dealer on the same route. FYI the Macan did not have PASM or torque vector option, nor a sunroof. The macan felt much tighter with better steering weight and precision. The engine was super smooth and the PDK amazingly quick and smooth. It made the very good ZF 8 speed seem slow and rough. The SQ5 felt surprisingly faster, though I could feel its weight more on harder corners. The biggest disappointment with the Macan was engine and exhaust noise or lack thereof. The SQ5 has a nice and sporty sound. Maybe some of that made it feel faster than it is. Fit and finish in the Macan is much better. Sq5 has larger cargo and more headroom, though not by much since the macan lacked the sunroof. At the end of the drive it was obvious which put a bigger smile on my face for the same or slightly less money. You would have to jump to the turbo to make it a better vehicle, but $$$. A Macan GTS would be perfect, maybe with the 3.0 TFSI.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you do staggered or 10.5 all around? If staggered what was the size/offset on the wheels?
Old 08-04-2014, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AtomicVette
Did you do staggered or 10.5 all around? If staggered what was the size/offset on the wheels?
10.5 square with 295/35/21 all around.

Front: et22
Rear: et20

Comes out pretty flush to the Caractere flares.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Perfect, exactly what I'm looking for. BTW where'd you purchase your Caractere Flares?
Old 08-05-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nick3753
Fit and finish in the Macan is much better.
Can you expound on this a bit more? Where did you see the much better fit and finish?
Old 08-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AtomicVette
Perfect, exactly what I'm looking for. BTW where'd you purchase your Caractere Flares?
Alex@TagMotorsports.com
He was very helpful and placed the order from Germany. Took about 3 weeks to get here.

Quick Reply: SQ5 - Low and Wide