Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Mod: Front License Plate Removed & screw holes covered w/ Black out tape

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Most of the time...

the no front plate ticket in CA now come from the parking/meter reader people who now know it can be another source of revenue. Sometimes CHP will ticket for it too, especially if the ticket is laser (common now) where their training is to point it at the front plate--which is also the most reflective part of the front of the vehicle, followed by headlights. Thus, they know big time it's missing.

It's a fix it ticket, but still a hassle and in some locales still costs a few dollars to clear it. Some cities charge a (much) higher amount to clear it no questions asked. Clearly a revenue play in that scenario.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in Boston is a moving violation. We would get a citation and our insurance premium will go up. its wack
Old 11-06-2013, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jbbarrette
Yes, in Cali the front is a must. But the police won't pull you over for not having it on, but if they pull you over for something else, then they'll give you a 'fit it' ticket. I keep my front plate in the car and if I'm parking on the street, I'll through it in the front window. The front plate needs to be displayed, but it never states it has to be on the front bumper.
Yep, front plate is a must, but sadly the front dash trick does not work at LAX. My SQ5 was delivered without the front bracket installed, but I had to have them install the bracket (and create the holes in the grille) because I travel quite a bit out of LAX and if you park in the LAX parking garages, they will ticket parked cars for no front plate installed. Even those displaying on the dash. You'll leave on your trip and come home to a ticket for no front plate. Ticketing parked cars is a pretty ridiculous thing for airport police to do, but they do it.

Not just limited to LAX either: http://www.yelp.com/topic/los-angele...-license-plate

Last edited by TonySCV; 11-06-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TonySCV
Yep, front plate is a must, but sadly the front dash trick does not work at LAX. My SQ5 was delivered without the front bracket installed, but I had to have them install the bracket (and create the holes in the grille) because I travel quite a bit out of LAX and if you park in the LAX parking garages, they will ticket parked cars for no front plate installed. Even those displaying on the dash. You'll leave on your trip and come home to a ticket for no front plate. Ticketing parked cars is a pretty ridiculous thing for airport police to do, but they do it.

Not just limited to LAX either: http://www.yelp.com/topic/los-angele...-license-plate
my buddy has the non-motorized version of this: http://www.hidetheplate.com/
it's a pretty sleek contraption, but since the surface below our front bumper slopes upwards, i wonder if this would work properly. the motorized one would be pimp, esp if you can get it to automatically pop out when you park the car, or maybe link it with the mirror folding switch.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wrcardon
Ha! I think I have those same Dakine Rack pads but haven't installed my roof rack yet. Are they the XL Aeros?
Yup, those are the larger XL pads. This is my second set, they work great for the boards.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by alatsacto
Just curious, what are the California regulations on the front license plate? I thought it is a must, but I'm not sure how strictly enforced it is.
Luckily it's not a moving violation in California.

Last year I was pulled over for speeding, and he gave me a ticket for not having a front license plate on my Q7. The CHP officer probably noticed I did not have a front license plate when he used the laser on me. It was just a fix it ticket as they call it in California. I decided not to install a front license plate (no mounting bracket) and paid the fine and bail amount. I don't recall the amount, I think it was either $80 or $120 plus fees. This means I didn't need an officer to sign off on my fix it ticket showing that I mounted a front plate.

It was the first time in about 8 years that I was harassed for not having a front license plate.

Regarding the reply about license plate tickets at LAX. I frequently fly out of SFO and park in the long-term parking lot, and never had an issue with tickets from not having a front plate. Knock on wood...

Last edited by BayAreaQ7; 11-06-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quick question to OP... Your results look great from the pic so I bought the same tape to try the same. First question, did you fill the screw and center hole with anything to prevent their outline from showing through the tape? Second, a quick test piece of tape seemed to fit the height perfectly for the lower two strips, however the upper strip of the grille seems to be about 1/8" taller than the tape is wide - was yours that way as well? From the pics it looks like it covered perfect but I can't tell. I'm thinking I could double up two staggered layers but not sure how clean it will look with the overlapping seams. The stuff is cheap enough to mess around with so maybe I'll just try that. Anyway, thanks for the great idea!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not the OP but I did the same thing on mine with shadowline vinyl.

I filled my center hole with epoxy and just made sure to keep flattening it as it set up. I was able to reach around the back side and slide some tape behind the hole so the epoxy didn't run through.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

looks good.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbbarrette
Yes, in Cali the front is a must. But the police won't pull you over for not having it on, but if they pull you over for something else, then they'll give you a 'fit it' ticket. I keep my front plate in the car and if I'm parking on the street, I'll through it in the front window. The front plate needs to be displayed, but it never states it has to be on the front bumper.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. My wife was pulled over in her S4 Cabriolet specifically for no front license plate. It's only a $25 fix-it ticket, but if you're unlucky enough to have it happen while you're over the DUI limit, those good looks might cost you $8-10K. Personally it's not worth it to me. (She's taking a gamble with her 911 Carrera S cab, as it's originally from NY and has no front license plate mounts, but she *never* drinks and drives.)

Quick Reply: SQ5 Mod: Front License Plate Removed & screw holes covered w/ Black out tape