Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 08:56 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

SQ5 Pano Roof Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SQ5 Pano Roof Rattles

First of all I am new to this forum, so hello to everyone! I took delivery of my 2014 SQ5 Technik a month ago and I finally rolled the odometer over the break-in mileage. That said, it is time to have some fun!

My only complaint so far with the vehicle is how many rattles this thing has already at only 1500 km. The slightest bump in the road causes the pano roof to creak and rattle constantly and the rear seats seem to rub where the 60/40 split is which is also causing an annoying leather-on-leather rubbing sound over the slightest bumps.

I have an appointment to take the vehicle in tomorrow to have the pano roof issued addressed, but I was curious if anyone else is have similar problems and what is the fix? Is anyone else getting rattles/creaks from the rear seats (when nobody is sitting in them) and what was your fix (should this also be brought up to the dealer)?
Old 06-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Knocking on wood, no rattles here. However, there are plenty of threads on pano roof rattles on this board. Steve
Old 06-04-2014, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Search is your friend
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...Rattles&page=5
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2818268&page=2
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2817784&page=3
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2830546&page=2
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2765204&page=3

Last edited by spijun; 06-04-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been a constant problem for many of us. These forums have numerous posts about it. I'm not thrilled to see it's still a problem 3 model years later. I can get over the rubbing sound of the back seat but the roof rattles get worse with different temperatures. My dealer has tried a new fix on the roof from audi that has lasted a week so far. I'm praying this the end of it but after 3 years of complaining and numerous attempts to remedy it not working I'm not celebrating just yet.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went with the no sunroof option in my 2014 so no rattle worries there.

I do have the annoying rubbing sound from the backseat though. Drives me crazy. That along with the occasional rattles from somewhere in the driver/passenger pillars are the only complaints I have about mine.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After reading about all of these rattles and squeaks, I decided to turn off the stereo today. I detected what I consider to be something loose in the front suspension, but it may be normal for Audis. Other than that, no noises whatsoever. So, I'll turn the stereo back on and order the aluminum cross.
I hate to hear about strange noises from brand-new vehicles of this cost & caliber, but the cheapest and most effective thing you can do is to crank that stereo up...noise-be-gone!
Of course, this SQ5 (sans pano roof) is the first Audi I've owned, but it has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

2014 SQ5 No ratttles in the pano yet!! Some other minor rattles here and there. Always heard Audi's didnt rattle. lol My 2010 S5 was a rattle trap. My 2010 Gmc work truck not one rattle after 4 years.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just as an update, I've now had the vehicle to the dealership three times and it took a test drive iwth the shop foreman for them to acknowledge the sunroof problem. The car spent two days at the dealership before the called and said that they have to replace the sunroof frame. The problem is now they are quoting me two to three months before they can get a sunroof frame in because Audi hasn't started producing the frames for the 2014's yet. I find this extremely hard to believe so I thought I would check with other 2014 owners who have been experiencing similar problems with the sunroof and whether you have been quoted similar lead times on parts?
Old 08-29-2014, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vilhelm_SQ5
Just as an update, I've now had the vehicle to the dealership three times and it took a test drive iwth the shop foreman for them to acknowledge the sunroof problem. The car spent two days at the dealership before the called and said that they have to replace the sunroof frame. The problem is now they are quoting me two to three months before they can get a sunroof frame in because Audi hasn't started producing the frames for the 2014's yet. I find this extremely hard to believe so I thought I would check with other 2014 owners who have been experiencing similar problems with the sunroof and whether you have been quoted similar lead times on parts?
Can't help you with the sunroof (my 2011's doesn't rattle, thank Allah) but perhaps some good-quality leather conditioner might reduce or even eliminate the "rubbing" sound? I've used both Meguiar's and Griot's to good effect.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate that rubbing sound so much! I was thinking maybe a cut piece of felt or fabric to wedge in there.

Why they put the material they did in between the seats I'll never know. It's like listening to corduroy pants rubbing together on a bumpy road.

Quick Reply: SQ5 Pano Roof Rattles