Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
Nice! Congratulations. Was it a dealer loaner or something? I would think a used 2014 TDI is a rare find. Mind if I ask what you paid for it?
I'd be interested to know as well, since I'd think that a diesel loaner would be extremely unlikely due to the inability to trust people to not put petrol in it. But why else would there be such a hardly-used TDI?

And congrats, the Q5's a great car, I'm sure either would've made you happy (just in different ways).
Old 10-20-2014, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
I'd be interested to know as well, since I'd think that a diesel loaner would be extremely unlikely due to the inability to trust people to not put petrol in it. But why else would there be such a hardly-used TDI?

And congrats, the Q5's a great car, I'm sure either would've made you happy (just in different ways).
I have had two Q7 TDI loaners in the past. One fully loaded UPS turd brown and another black one. Both times the service adviser reminded me to only put diesel in. Lol.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:28 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

While I have not driven a Q5 TDI So I cannot comment on its brakes but the brakes on the SQ5 are brilliant. Any vehicle that can stop from 60 mph in 104 ft is doing well let alone a ~2 ton SUV.

Steve
Old 10-21-2014, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
I have had two Q7 TDI loaners in the past. One fully loaded UPS turd brown and another black one. Both times the service adviser reminded me to only put diesel in. Lol.
Plus, isn't the diesel nozzle/tank fitment designed to prevent this? For some reason, I thought the diesel tank intake was smaller... so the overflowing gas might serve as an early warning sign.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by big residual
Plus, isn't the diesel nozzle/tank fitment designed to prevent this? For some reason, I thought the diesel tank intake was smaller... so the overflowing gas might serve as an early warning sign.
Yes, it should be difficult to manage to stick a petrol nozzle into the diesel receiver, but idiots usually find a way to get around idiot-proofing. Nice to know that there are indeed TDI loaners out there, could help to bring people around to not thinking so poorly of them if they drive one as a loaner. I'd still personally worry about people being stupid, but if the dealers are putting them in their fleets then they must be fairly confident people won't screw up.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:04 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idale
But why else would there be such a hardly-used TDI?
It wasn't a loaner actually. It was a private lease that someone returned after 2 months for reasons unknown to me. The car has no issues and could have passed for brand new. I guess I just got lucky!

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
Nice! Congratulations. Was it a dealer loaner or something? I would think a used 2014 TDI is a rare find. Mind if I ask what you paid for it?
It was a CPO Prestige TDI and has all the great stuff included in that plus some nice extras including the upgraded wheels, roof crossbars, all weather mats, and cargo mat, and Audi Care was also included. It was $47,300 out the door, and I hope I did ok considering how rare they are to find gently used like that. Only 4,000 miles on it too!

It's kinda like cheating because now I get the original warranty plus the CPO warranty that goes up to 6 yr/100k miles, on a almost brand new Q5. Very happy.

Last edited by aj6; 10-21-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by aj6
It wasn't a loaner actually. It was a private lease that someone returned after 2 months for reasons unknown to me. The car has no issues and could have passed for brand new. I guess I just got lucky!
Must've been an edge case of someone deciding that diesel wasn't for them over a longer term, or for some reason just needed a different vehicle. At least that should mean it's "safer" than a loaner, their loss is your gain.

It was a CPO Prestige TDI and has all the great stuff included in that plus some nice extras including the upgraded wheels, roof crossbars, all weather mats, and cargo mat, and Audi Care was also included. It was $47,300 out the door, and I hope I did ok considering how rare they are to find gently used like that. Only 4,000 miles on it too!
Not sure what the going rates tend to be, but $47K for a ~$62K+ TDI with only 4K on it certainly sounds reasonable. The only thing that really matters is that you're happy with the deal, and it certainly sounds like you are.