Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5/Q5 Chiptuning through Box (instead of ECU)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 04:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5/Q5 Chiptuning through Box (instead of ECU)

Hey guys,

So I have been researching(last month or so) a way to safely modify the SQ5's engine without raising any flags/issues with the dealer when I take it in for service or maintenance.

After speaking to multiple users and suppliers of ECU mods, I have come to the conclusion that it is not for me, as I plan to purchase the extended Warranty and fear I would lose it.

So the only option has been narrowed down to using one of those Chiptuning mod boxes, where you can install and remove it yourself. This supposedly does not raise any flags during service as the original ECU was never "modified" and does not alert the dealer of any modifications.

Now here comes the underlying issue, there are so many of these boxes out there that it becomes hard to decide which one to go with. They range from super cheap (can be found on ebay) to more expensive ones from reputable sellers.

My colleague at work who got me thinking about ECU mods and chip boxes has a chip tuning box for his 2014 3.0 Q5, from a seller in the UK, called DTUK. I've seen his car perform with and without the chipbox and there is a noticeable difference(which got me really excited) ***Note: do not take my word for it, I am no car expert and could possibly just be imagining a difference*****.

My only issue with DTUK is that after researching I found out they resupply boxes manufactured by a german company called DTE systems but for a fraction of their price(which makes you wonder, why is DTE priced higher). So I figured maybe its better to get the box straight from the original source.

So here comes my question: Anyone have any experience with DTE systems and know if they are the exact same box provided by DTUK or essentially better?

I researched another german chip at racechip.de but I found a few disbelievers of that chip making any differences on other forums after they tested it out (like I said, maybe I imagined a difference in performance).

Anyways, Please take note to those that do not have any clue of these mods, that there is a price to pay for ECU or box mods, from what I have read there is extra wear and tear on your engine for pushing it harder. Might be a little less with a box as the HP gains are less than the ECU mods, so you need to take that into consideration.

Remember that your car will last and perform how well you treat it, So as Uncle Ben once said in Spiderman "With great power, comes great responsibility"
Old 10-19-2014, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rendart
Hey guys,

So I have been researching(last month or so) a way to safely modify the SQ5's engine without raising any flags/issues with the dealer when I take it in for service or maintenance.

After speaking to multiple users and suppliers of ECU mods, I have come to the conclusion that it is not for me, as I plan to purchase the extended Warranty and fear I would lose it.

So the only option has been narrowed down to using one of those Chiptuning mod boxes, where you can install and remove it yourself. This supposedly does not raise any flags during service as the original ECU was never "modified" and does not alert the dealer of any modifications.

Now here comes the underlying issue, there are so many of these boxes out there that it becomes hard to decide which one to go with. They range from super cheap (can be found on ebay) to more expensive ones from reputable sellers.

My colleague at work who got me thinking about ECU mods and chip boxes has a chip tuning box for his 2014 3.0 Q5, from a seller in the UK, called DTUK. I've seen his car perform with and without the chipbox and there is a noticeable difference(which got me really excited) ***Note: do not take my word for it, I am no car expert and could possibly just be imagining a difference*****.

My only issue with DTUK is that after researching I found out they resupply boxes manufactured by a german company called DTE systems but for a fraction of their price(which makes you wonder, why is DTE priced higher). So I figured maybe its better to get the box straight from the original source.

So here comes my question: Anyone have any experience with DTE systems and know if they are the exact same box provided by DTUK or essentially better?

I researched another german chip at racechip.de but I found a few disbelievers of that chip making any differences on other forums after they tested it out (like I said, maybe I imagined a difference in performance).

Anyways, Please take note to those that do not have any clue of these mods, that there is a price to pay for ECU or box mods, from what I have read there is extra wear and tear on your engine for pushing it harder. Might be a little less with a box as the HP gains are less than the ECU mods, so you need to take that into consideration.

Remember that your car will last and perform how well you treat it, So as Uncle Ben once said in Spiderman "With great power, comes great responsibility"
Google up images of those things opened up and I think you'll find some interesting information. I did.

I know more people in the M5 community than Audi for now and they said those boxes just trick something else. One example was tricking the car into thinking the air is a different temperature which changes airflow. They said that's just stupid and gains would be uneven and change depending upon actual conditions. Tricking something can lead to other failures but I didn't understand the details of what and why.

I balked at ECU tune for the same reasons you have. But the M guys swear our non S/RS engines are just down-tuned on purpose to get MPG and to differentiate product, not because more power would instantly destroy something else. Of course as they have the means they said just chip it. I wish I could just say void the warranty but that's not going to happen. Besides, I rarely see cars I can't just smoke as it is. 😇
Old 10-19-2014, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Have you checked this one out?

RaceChip USA | The Powerbox for safe engine tuning made in Germany ? chip tuning

I am still waiting for my order but not sure if I would ever go to Dyno or race track to get some real readings thou...
Old 10-19-2014, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

It is not unusual for "the same" product to be marketed through different sources at different prices. You might try emailing both companies and asking what the difference is, between their product and what appears to be the same product from the other vendor.

It could be a simple matter of support, or different programming, or warranty. There is always a loss of durability when you push an engine harder, especially when you've got turbos and you can boost pressure and heat in the cylinders. Indy car engines used to be designed to last just 700 miles (500 for the event, 100 for warmups, 100 as a safety margin) and that's how you get a tenfold hp boost from "the same" engine.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by philkkw

RaceChip USA | The Powerbox for safe engine tuning made in Germany ? chip tuning

I am still waiting for my order but not sure if I would ever go to Dyno or race track to get some real readings thou...
Very interesting. Thx for posting that. I wonder.....
Old 10-20-2014, 02:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea, thats the one I mentioned in my first post "racechip.de" , apparently on another forum there were a few unbelievers of that chip.

Do share your experience on it once you receive it.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Please let us know how Racechip works. You can clock your 0-60 with your phone....even better if you get an OBD adapter and use an app like Torque Engine Management.
Good luck

Last edited by USAVAGEU; 10-20-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

These types of boxes have a pretty terrible reputation on every car forum ive ever been part of. Curious to see results if someone wants to try it but i wouldnt risk it personally (i would absolutely do APR or GIAC though). I feel like most likely scenario is no gains, worst case is it causes other problems..
Old 10-20-2014, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave DC
These types of boxes have a pretty terrible reputation on every car forum ive ever been part of.
+1.

Chip-tuning is the answer for a comprehensive solution.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I installed a Hypertech Interceptor chip on my Jeep 5.7. Went to start and dashboard looked like Christmas... then went dead. I pulled it out, reconnected factory plugs and after ten minutes it came back up....scared the hell out of me. I then went to Diablosport tune, which gave me a good bump, but I was always nervous about factory warranty.
Im interested in this Racechip tuning, because they may be a"le to do something with a charged engine, but I want some more info first

Originally Posted by Dave DC
These types of boxes have a pretty terrible reputation on every car forum ive ever been part of. Curious to see results if someone wants to try it but i wouldnt risk it personally (i would absolutely do APR or GIAC though). I feel like most likely scenario is no gains, worst case is it causes other problems..

Quick Reply: SQ5/Q5 Chiptuning through Box (instead of ECU)