Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 replacement brake pads, whats the best out there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 replacement brake pads, whats the best out there?

Incredible brake dust build up!!! It builds up just driving to n from work in one day, ooooh 20 kilometres and wham, rims are filthy again.
What are the best brake pads for this beasty? 2016 SQ5.
Four things I'm not fond of skimping on, brakes, tires, quality fuel and lubricants.
Who am I kidding, I hardly skimp on anything, hell, i'm worth it lol
Old 08-11-2015, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally use EBC red stuff, pretty happy with them. Are they dust free, no, but certainly nowhere as bad as OEM.

Others have had good luck with Hawk pads.

If you are looking for something that is pretty much dust free, look for Akebono pads, not sure if they have a size for your vehicle. Keep in mind that they do NOT bite as hard as the OEM pads, that is the tradeoff.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Check into a lesser known west coast company called Porterfield out of Washington state. Their RS-4 pads are street pads, most of their other stuff are racing pads designed for high temperature off-street use.

I got turned on to them by a batch of west coast folks (order direct, no one on the east coast seems to carry them) and found that after they seated in, they stopped much better than my stock brake pads, and there wasn't any dust problem.

They aren't cheap--but I'd say they are a small outfit who know what they are doing. Their racing users wanted a street pad, so they made the RS-4 line.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for the recommendations hilld & Redd
Old 08-24-2015, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

This
Amazon.com: Armor All 78482 Wheel Protectant - 7 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Armor All 78482 Wheel Protectant - 7 oz.: Automotive
does miracles to my 20" rims. They stay all silver between the washes and it is much cheaper than new pads. The only drawback is it works weel only on silver and you can't touch it with anything.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Another vote for hawk pads. Brake dust is minimal, and no squealing.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pjsean5
Another vote for hawk pads. Brake dust is minimal, and no squealing.
Not just questioning Hawks, but all of the replacements mentioned -- has anyone that's swapped found that the trade-off for less dust is less performance (fade, bite, ultimate stopping power, etc)? It usually is which is why most of the high-perf racing pads are notorious for dust - dust and noise are the 2 formulation variables that immediately become don't cares once you say you want the best performing pad.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

" the trade-off for less dust is less performance "
Brake pad compounds are like tire rubber compounds: All trade secrets and special sauce, and the really good stuff is going to cost you more without showing any visible reasons why.
When asbestos was banned from brake pads (and I agree with that) everyone tried to find other materials that would replace it. Every material has some strengths and some weaknesses, i.e. ceramics of many types, "Kevlar" and similar threads, and some of those will do certain jobs better than others. But let's face it, 99% of brake pads are sold on marketing and reputation, who ever actually gets objective numbers for their own specific type of use?
Racing pads may tend to ceramics, and they just don't grip unless they are hot. So they stink at street driving. Street pads will grip when they are cold--but most will slip or wear badly when they really get hot. (Which they shouldn't unless you're also racing on them.) And if your pads grip TOO WELL then the rotors will be ground down faster than the pads are, and that's no bargain either.
So you try to find a reputation and a price point, and you roll the dice.

OEM pads are, at least, a known quantity.

Franchise places (the exhaust/brake chains, the auto parts stores) are generally cheap pads that wear out quickly, but sell cheap. The rest of the stuff...pass the dice, will ya?(G)
Old 09-03-2015, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MAMOHT
This Amazon.com: Armor All 78482 Wheel Protectant - 7 oz.: Automotive does miracles to my 20" rims. They stay all silver between the washes and it is much cheaper than new pads. The only drawback is it works weel only on silver and you can't touch it with anything.
Can't agree more. They actually work on all kinds of wheels. I used to have a FIAT with white rims. It was PITA to wash it all the time. This Armor All blocks all the dust. The pic shown is after 100miles of stop and go traffic.

The only downside is that it is not waterproof. The coat will fall off in the rain.
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2015, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperQkc
Incredible brake dust build up!!! It builds up just driving to n from work in one day, ooooh 20 kilometres and wham, rims are filthy again.
What are the best brake pads for this beasty? 2016 SQ5.
Four things I'm not fond of skimping on, brakes, tires, quality fuel and lubricants.
Who am I kidding, I hardly skimp on anything, hell, i'm worth it lol
I went with Centric Posi pads for my RS4,Q5, and now my RS5. Great street pads with low dust.

Quick Reply: SQ5 replacement brake pads, whats the best out there?