Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One final query (I think!), I live in LA so snow is not typically an issue but we do have a cabin in the mountains near here so will be in some snow from time to time. How bad in snow are the (I assume performance tires) that come on the 21" wheels in any kind of snow at all? Horrifically, dangerously bad? Or just "I wouldn't drive on them all winter if I lived in a snowy climate" bad?...
Old 09-26-2015, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

You've already received great, and accurate, responses to your question, but let me jump in here with my two cents in case this comes up in search.

I bought the SQ5 for my wife, and it replaced her Q5 3.0T. I was fearful that she would hate the bigger wheels and stiffer suspension, as she frequently complains about the suspension on my S3. I'm happy to report that she has no issues with the new car. The Q5 on 19's was more soft, but honestly, the difference for us has been pretty negligible. It still feels very much like a luxury car in terms of ride. Someone above called it "firm but not bone-jarring" and that's exactly it. It feels confident and planted without sacrificing comfort. I was extremely surprised, but very pleased. Couldn't be happier.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlackAce
You've already received great, and accurate, responses to your question, but let me jump in here with my two cents in case this comes up in search.

I bought the SQ5 for my wife, and it replaced her Q5 3.0T. I was fearful that she would hate the bigger wheels and stiffer suspension, as she frequently complains about the suspension on my S3. I'm happy to report that she has no issues with the new car. The Q5 on 19's was more soft, but honestly, the difference for us has been pretty negligible. It still feels very much like a luxury car in terms of ride. Someone above called it "firm but not bone-jarring" and that's exactly it. It feels confident and planted without sacrificing comfort. I was extremely surprised, but very pleased. Couldn't be happier.
It seems pretty unanimous here that my concerns about to rough a ride may be unfounded...And your comparison to the ride on the S3 is telling...seems when you start with a more "luxury" than sport focused vehicle, the larger wheels don't bring so much harshness in ride...thanks, man...(btw, is that the Q5 3.0 or the SQ5 in your profile pic?)
Old 09-26-2015, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would never ever drive my SQ5 on snow with the stock 21 tires on there. Especially not up to any "mountain cabin." Very small tread, and I can't imagine you'd have anything close to good traction. Plus, the ones that came on mine are made from a compound that starts to break down if driven below freezing temps, so I'd avoid it all together, or you'll find your $65k vehicle in the ditch pretty quick.

Originally Posted by NealcpLA
One final query (I think!), I live in LA so snow is not typically an issue but we do have a cabin in the mountains near here so will be in some snow from time to time. How bad in snow are the (I assume performance tires) that come on the 21" wheels in any kind of snow at all? Horrifically, dangerously bad? Or just "I wouldn't drive on them all winter if I lived in a snowy climate" bad?...
Old 09-26-2015, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would never ever drive my SQ5 on snow with the stock 21 tires on there. Especially not up to any "mountain cabin." Very small tread, and I can't imagine you'd have anything close to good traction. Plus, the ones that came on mine are made from a compound that starts to break down if driven below freezing temps, so I'd avoid it all together, or you'll find your $65k vehicle in the ditch pretty quick.
Sounds like the first thing I'd do then would be to replace the stock rubber with some decent "all season" tires then?
Old 09-26-2015, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

(btw, is that the Q5 3.0 or the SQ5 in your profile pic?)
That's the 3.0. Thanks for pointing that out, I always post on mobile now, do I had forgotten all about it.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's the 3.0. Thanks for pointing that out, I always post on mobile now, do I had forgotten all about it.
I just thought those didn't look like 21" wheels on there... (where in FL, btw? I lived in Miami for 4 years)...
Old 09-26-2015, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I am sure the 21's would be a disaster in snow!!!

We live in RI and we get some winters that have lots of snow (2014-2015!!!) and some that have almost no snow. I am a huge believer of snow tires on any car. Of course living in RI it was sometimes difficult to sell the tires as people don't always understand the benefits...
On of the tricks I used to employ was to offer the package with a promise of buying them back, if after the first snow the customer didn't believe they were worth the expense...
I never had a single customer ask for a refund!
Old 09-26-2015, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few years ago I tested an S4. Didn't now what summer tires were at the time coming from Toyota trucks my whole life. I bought an A5 with all-seasons, good Conti tread. The sales guy said ".....beside, those summer tires (on the S4) are useless when it's cold."

I started reading. Summers are great in warm and even wet. I had no issues with a/s tires year round because, well, I don't track. But I would NEVER EVER attempt to drive summer tires in the cold nor in the snow. I've driven bald all seasons in the days of being a poor college student and I reckon summers are even worse.

A RWD car with snow tires is better than an AWD car with summers when temps get below 40. And should the temps be above 40 and melting snow the summer tread is instant car-in-ditch or worse. I'm frugal, but I would never attempt even one trip in snow on summers.

Sounds like the first thing I'd do then would be to replace the stock rubber with some decent "all season" tires then?
Old 09-26-2015, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kreativecid
Few years ago I tested an S4. Didn't now what summer tires were at the time coming from Toyota trucks my whole life. I bought an A5 with all-seasons, good Conti tread. The sales guy said ".....beside, those summer tires (on the S4) are useless when it's cold."

I started reading. Summers are great in warm and even wet. I had no issues with a/s tires year round because, well, I don't track. But I would NEVER EVER attempt to drive summer tires in the cold nor in the snow. I've driven bald all seasons in the days of being a poor college student and I reckon summers are even worse.

A RWD car with snow tires is better than an AWD car with summers when temps get below 40. And should the temps be above 40 and melting snow the summer tread is instant car-in-ditch or worse. I'm frugal, but I would never attempt even one trip in snow on summers.
So would "all weather" be considered not "summers"?...I drove in the snow with my RWD X1 which has, I believe, "all weather" tires and it wasn't a disaster except it was 6" of snow in the mountains with a RWD car...

Quick Reply: SQ5 Ride?