Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a 2012 Q5 S-line with 20" wheels to the SQ5 with 21s. I live in Washington, DC and the roads are horrible. When I got the SQ5 thought there was something wrong with it the ride was so much worse than my old one. Now I've gotten used to it.

I was just spoiled with the ride in my old Q5. Compared to most other cars out there the SQ5 is a smooth ride, just not compared to the non-sport version of other luxury cars.

If you enjoy driving, I highly recommend the S model.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, so I took an SQ5 out for a test spin since the Macan S was difficult to find and no one discounted even 2015 new model much less a 2016!

Compared to the Q5 TDI, the SQ5 is a different animal!

The supercharger has got me sold! - much better performance than a Macan S with a turbo lag!
Old 10-03-2015, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4SallyPat
Ok, so I took an SQ5 out for a test spin since the Macan S was difficult to find and no one discounted even 2015 new model much less a 2016!

Compared to the Q5 TDI, the SQ5 is a different animal!

The supercharger has got me sold! - much better performance than a Macan S with a turbo lag!
I hear ya on the supercharger...I'm thrilled to say I drove the SQ5 this past Wednesday, LOVED it...(first words out of my mouth after I hit the gas where I had a little room, "****!" and a big grin was on my face...I took deliver of mine this past Thursday and I have not loved any car more...All my concerns about the ride on the 21's and the noise are gone. I love the ride; not too firm at all (I suspect something like and S3 or an S4 might be another story in that regard)...and the sound I frikkin' LOVE! Just a low rumble in "Dynamic" mode...Got the Dayton Grey with the two tone grey/black Napa leather interior...it did not have the "black optic package" which the car I test drove did which bummed me out alot (love that clean, no chrome look) but the dealer has a guy (the same guy who installs the "skin" on, say RS8's) who can blacken everything out and it can even be removed at lease end...I also ordered 21" "winter" tires (Pirelli Scorpions) for the cabin drives in the mountains...while my preference would have been All Seasons, as we know, there is no such thing for a 21" wheel. The Scorpions got great reviews and alot of those reviews even mentioned they'd "drive on these tires year round" so fingers crossed....thanks for all the great feedback here...VERY helpful...
Old 10-04-2015, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NealcpLA
I hear ya on the supercharger...I'm thrilled to say I drove the SQ5 this past Wednesday, LOVED it...(first words out of my mouth after I hit the gas where I had a little room, "****!" and a big grin was on my face...I took deliver of mine this past Thursday and I have not loved any car more...All my concerns about the ride on the 21's and the noise are gone. I love the ride; not too firm at all (I suspect something like and S3 or an S4 might be another story in that regard)...and the sound I frikkin' LOVE! Just a low rumble in "Dynamic" mode...Got the Dayton Grey with the two tone grey/black Napa leather interior...it did not have the "black optic package" which the car I test drove did which bummed me out alot (love that clean, no chrome look) but the dealer has a guy (the same guy who installs the "skin" on, say RS8's) who can blacken everything out and it can even be removed at lease end...I also ordered 21" "winter" tires (Pirelli Scorpions) for the cabin drives in the mountains...while my preference would have been All Seasons, as we know, there is no such thing for a 21" wheel. The Scorpions got great reviews and alot of those reviews even mentioned they'd "drive on these tires year round" so fingers crossed....thanks for all the great feedback here...VERY helpful...
Wow, I am in the same boat! The test drive of another SQ5 with 21" wheels was amazing! This one did not have the Black Optik package which is fine with me, I prefer the traditional aluminum / chrome grill & window moldings....
The Supercharger is a must have ! If Porsche put in a supercharger, I think their Macans would sell out the roof!

The confusing small tidbit was the badging on the sides - "V6T" which is confusing because it is not a turbo - it is a supercharger - shouldn't it say "V6Sc" ?? I will order the car with the Supercharger badges for $145 ...

The tires are summer only which is a problem for me as I ski a lot in the winters and need to find a set of winter tires.
Will look into Scorpions but 21" offerings are very slim - found Pirellis @ $300 each...

I can't believe that Audi does not supply A/S upon request as I know a lot of the country has snow and ice to deal with!

The dealer was amazing - took the time to show you everything (new to Audi) - even offered a price point 10% below MSRP without even asking and a lease deal the was impressive!

It's just a shame that all the cars coming into the US are all boring black interiors - I just don't like black interiors - makes me feel like a funeral.....

And remember, must deal with the fleet or internet manager to get these deals with out even haggling....

Overall, very impressed with the build, quality and drive. And I come from BMWs for over 15 years - this Audi is just amazing!

It's going to take awhile not to go to a diesel pump as I have been driving diesel BMWs with awesome torque for the past 6 years.

Finally, since my requirements for luxury interior, chestnut brown interior and Sephang blue exterior is not available anywhere, we are going to do a Euro delivery since we were planning on going to Germany to pick up a BMW. But since BMWs have been lackluster at best in the SUV / CUV field, I am switching to Audi.

Can't wait to start planning my custom configured SQ5 pickup in Ingolstadt Germany!

Thanks for all the info from all !
Old 10-08-2015, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am finding myself falling in love with an SQ5 after going through alot of other cars...Lease rate on this one is very good...My only question for anyone else driving the SQ5; do you find the ride too harsh or stiff at all for city/urban driving? The one I am looking at has the 21" wheels and with the stiffer suspension...anyone experience this who does primarily city driving? TIA
OK, so many, MANY thanks to all who responded in this post to my questions about the ride of the SQ5. I drove one a week ago yesterday and fell in LOVE with it. Fist time I hit the gas pedal, I just said f***! and had a big grin on my face...I took delivery of mine from dealer stock last Friday and it is even better than I had hoped. As noted here, the ride is in no way too harsh even on a daily basis here in LA (and I have it in the "Dynamic" mode all the time). And the engine noise, that I had some concern about is no issue at all. My wife heard it the first time and had no problems with it (she got a little tired of my aftermarket APR exhaust on my '07 A3). I actually LOVE that low growl you get from the supercharger...sweet. Mine came in the Dayton Gray Pearl (which has always been a fave Audi color of mine, even as prevalent as it is) with the Black/Lunar Silver interior. I've always been a tan interior guy but since the SQ5 doesn't come in tan, I was hoping for the Chestnut brown but were none available. When I saw the look even of the black in the upgraded Fine Napa package I got, I could have even lived with that in all black as it does not look so "black hole" to me as most black interiors do. Came with the 21" wheels which presented a challenge as, even though summer tires are all good, year round here in LA, we have a cabin in the mountains where they'd have been useless...I am taking a chance, based on some recommendations and have ordered a set of Pirelli Scorpion "winter" tires whose reviews have noted many would "drive on them year round". They sound like they may fit the bill as the non available A/S tire for a 21" wheel. Those are going on today so will report back. I also had all badging and chrome blacked out yesterday (taping) since it did not come with the Black Optik package and I love the blacked out look. Net-net, I LOVE this car and all the positive reviews you all gave me were spot on...Thank you all!
Attached Images   
Old 10-08-2015, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice!

Very good looking !

The supercharger is amazing - it's like an AMG on steroids - can get out of hand if you are not careful.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice!

Very good looking !

The supercharger is amazing - it's like an AMG on steroids - can get out of hand if you are not careful.
I suspect...am learning how to "work" it...for quickest take off from a light I go into manual and start in 1 (duh). Seems quicker than even with Dynamic mode in the auto mode...Will definitely be riding with the radar detector on all the time...
Old 10-08-2015, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

I suspect...am learning how to "work" it...for quickest take off from a light I go into manual and start in 1 (duh). Seems quicker than even with Dynamic mode in the auto mode...Will definitely be riding with the radar detector on all the time...
Oh yeah - LAUNCH MODE !!

I use a Valentine 1 radar detector in my BMW and have avoided a lot of tickets....
Old 10-08-2015, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I am in the same boat! The test drive of another SQ5 with 21" wheels was amazing! This one did not have the Black Optik package which is fine with me, I prefer the traditional aluminum / chrome grill & window moldings....
The Supercharger is a must have ! If Porsche put in a supercharger, I think their Macans would sell out the roof!

The confusing small tidbit was the badging on the sides - "V6T" which is confusing because it is not a turbo - it is a supercharger - shouldn't it say "V6Sc" ?? I will order the car with the Supercharger badges for $145 ...

The tires are summer only which is a problem for me as I ski a lot in the winters and need to find a set of winter tires.
Will look into Scorpions but 21" offerings are very slim - found Pirellis @ $300 each...

I can't believe that Audi does not supply A/S upon request as I know a lot of the country has snow and ice to deal with!

The dealer was amazing - took the time to show you everything (new to Audi) - even offered a price point 10% below MSRP without even asking and a lease deal the was impressive!

It's just a shame that all the cars coming into the US are all boring black interiors - I just don't like black interiors - makes me feel like a funeral.....

And remember, must deal with the fleet or internet manager to get these deals with out even haggling....

Overall, very impressed with the build, quality and drive. And I come from BMWs for over 15 years - this Audi is just amazing!

It's going to take awhile not to go to a diesel pump as I have been driving diesel BMWs with awesome torque for the past 6 years.

Finally, since my requirements for luxury interior, chestnut brown interior and Sephang blue exterior is not available anywhere, we are going to do a Euro delivery since we were planning on going to Germany to pick up a BMW. But since BMWs have been lackluster at best in the SUV / CUV field, I am switching to Audi.

Can't wait to start planning my custom configured SQ5 pickup in Ingolstadt Germany!

Thanks for all the info from all !
Just be careful when you pick up the car in Germany. Germany has mandatory winter tire laws and it is illegal to drive a car with summer tires during the winter months. I have heard of places to "rent" winter tires for the duration of your "extended acceptance drive", but I don't have any details.

Congrats.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh yeah - LAUNCH MODE !!

I use a Valentine 1 radar detector in my BMW and have avoided a lot of tickets....
I have the same...the Valentine...can get a little annoying around town even with the sensitivity adjusted but well worth it...