Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 suspension upgrades

Posted a few minutes ago but forgot to put in a title. Have a new SQ5. The cars rolls to much in tunes and needs to be tightened up some. Wouldn't mind it being lowered a bit too but worried springs will make it too stiff. Did springs on a 535xi sportwagon and it was punishing. Thoughts about rolls bars, shocks, springs? Recommendations? Thanks.
Current rides:
16 SQ5
10 S5
04 R32
95 540i sport
05 Titan
Old 05-22-2016, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S5R32535540
Posted a few minutes ago but forgot to put in a title. Have a new SQ5. The cars rolls to much in tunes and needs to be tightened up some. Wouldn't mind it being lowered a bit too but worried springs will make it too stiff. Did springs on a 535xi sportwagon and it was punishing. Thoughts about rolls bars, shocks, springs? Recommendations? Thanks.
Current rides:
16 SQ5
10 S5
04 R32
95 540i sport
05 Titan
I've got H&R -3 springs and Bilstein B8s. It was a huge improvement over the the springs-only setup I ran initially. Lots of feedback in these threads and others in general if you do a quick search:

Just want to share my suspension install

Bilstein B8 (or other aftermarket shocks) + H&R - Who's running this setup?

lowered q5 owners get in here! - Audizine Forums
Old 05-22-2016, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm switching to the KW HAS setup, but won't have it put on for a few weeks.

I'll report back with results then.

I'd consider if you want the lateral stiffness tightened for cornering, you should look at the Alu Kreuz, sway bars, and stiffer end links as well. I'm getting all mine installed at once, and an alignment.
Eurocode tuning is who offers those items.
You can pick up the adjustable stiffer end links there or from 034Motorsport.

Full coilovers are a good choice as well.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the H&R springs only on my TDI. The dampening and rebound actually isn't that far off and it looks great and it does handle better.

That being said, I like the change so much it makes me want to take it all the way with coil-overs, more drop, control arms and sway bars.

It's a lease so I won't do anymore but if I decide to go SQ after this lease is up, I will purchase and go all out.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
I did the H&R springs only on my TDI. The dampening and rebound actually isn't that far off and it looks great and it does handle better.

That being said, I like the change so much it makes me want to take it all the way with coil-overs, more drop, control arms and sway bars.

It's a lease so I won't do anymore but if I decide to go SQ after this lease is up, I will purchase and go all out.
How much were you guys quoted for parts and install? I was just quoted 1100-1600 for labor only of springs and shocks
Old 05-28-2016, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by siren001
How much were you guys quoted for parts and install? I was just quoted 1100-1600 for labor only of springs and shocks
I just paid for the springs. My next door neighbor is a ex-VW shop foreman(he is with Honda now but about to go back to VW) and he does everything for my Audi and my Wife's MB for cost of parts plus he picks up and delivers the cars. I always try to pay him extra and he says "nope, I like you because you are a car guy". He said he would charge a stranger around $1500 for the swap
Old 05-28-2016, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have just one or two suggestions: Don't move! If you have kids, put an extension on the house. If your neighbor moves....find out where, find a house near where he's moving, and buy it. Take a loss on the sale of your house if you must....you'll get it back ten fold in time.
Uhhhhhh, BTW, where do you live anyway? Maybe the house on the other side of your friends house is for sale....maybe???

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
I just paid for the springs. My next door neighbor is a ex-VW shop foreman(he is with Honda now but about to go back to VW) and he does everything for my Audi and my Wife's MB for cost of parts plus he picks up and delivers the cars. I always try to pay him extra and he says "nope, I like you because you are a car guy". He said he would charge a stranger around $1500 for the swap
Old 05-29-2016, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
I do have just one or two suggestions: Don't move! If you have kids, put an extension on the house. If your neighbor moves....find out where, find a house near where he's moving, and buy it. Take a loss on the sale of your house if you must....you'll get it back ten fold in time.
Uhhhhhh, BTW, where do you live anyway? Maybe the house on the other side of your friends house is for sale....maybe???
LOL...he is a good neighbor for sure and he says he plans on staying another 10 years.

We are in Texas and there is 3 house for sale in our sub-division but just because you live here, won't mean he will like you.....

I do count my lucky stars. When my 15k came up on my Audi 2 weeks ago, I called my dealer just to check on the maintenance cost. They quoted $736 and I gave he quote to him and said he can charge me something. When he brought the car back he handed me a bill for $100....
Old 05-30-2016, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That seems high based on my experience. I had only springs installed initially and then later on did an install of shocks, and I paid less than your estimate in total for both trips. The shocks install was done at pretty much the most respected indy shop in the NYC area, so it wasn't backyard mechanic pricing either. Both times were roughly three hour of labor plus the cost of an alignment.

Last edited by riceboy22; 05-30-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It took 4 hours to my Audi dealer to swap the 4 springs, the 4 bump stops and the front dampers.

Quick Reply: SQ5 suspension upgrades