Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Soaked carpet

Old 02-15-2014, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soaked carpet

Hi

I have found that despite using audi winter mats that my black seat floor is a pool of water due to snow dragged in by my kids. It is so bad it fogs the windows on the inside overnight. I should have got weather tech floor liners as I did for my a6 but I did not anticipate such a brutal winter. The audi oem rubber mats are overwhelmed and useless. I am ordering the weather tech mats (too late I know) but do you think i have damaged or caused my vehicle to rust or mold? The carpets are puddled due to constant snow this winter from kids in the back.

Thanks

Last edited by Mitch105; 02-15-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Here's what I've done successfully. If you have a wet/dry vac, use it to get as much of the moisture out as possible. Then, take some towels and weight them down on the carpet for a couple of hours. Finally, set up a portable fan or two on high with the doors or windows open for a few hours. Do it as soon as possible to avoid any mold or mildew.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default +1

This basic procedure, or a dependable small heater in lieu of fan. Pretty much need a garage for this in winter; takes a day or so to dry if you first get them damped out with towels pretty well.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

A carpet steamer, about $25 for a half day rental from many supermarkets and hardware stores, will get the carpet clean and fairly dry. Clean being important to get out any mold that has started.

After you used one of those, typically you need to run leave the car with the windows cracked open, heater blasting on full for a few hours to finish fully drying them out. If one of the small ceramic heaters will get the car equally toasty, that could work too.

Damage? Probably not, unless enough water got in to reach into the wiring.

Either a teamer or a wetvac to remove as much of the moisture as you can, followed by lots of heat until it is thoroughly dry to the touch. "Just a little damp" is how they get moldy forever after.

You probably can also pour a bottle of high-proof (70 or better 90) isopropanol, plain "rubbing" alcohol with no additives or sugars in it, onto the carpet to help promote the drying as well. The alcohol evaporates faster, pulls water out with it, and kills crud. Just don't mix alcohol with sparks or heating coils, it is flammable.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redd
A carpet steamer, about $25 for a half day rental from many supermarkets and hardware stores, will get the carpet clean and fairly dry. Clean being important to get out any mold that has started.

After you used one of those, typically you need to run leave the car with the windows cracked open, heater blasting on full for a few hours to finish fully drying them out. If one of the small ceramic heaters will get the car equally toasty, that could work too.

Damage? Probably not, unless enough water got in to reach into the wiring.

Either a teamer or a wetvac to remove as much of the moisture as you can, followed by lots of heat until it is thoroughly dry to the touch. "Just a little damp" is how they get moldy forever after.

You probably can also pour a bottle of high-proof (70 or better 90) isopropanol, plain "rubbing" alcohol with no additives or sugars in it, onto the carpet to help promote the drying as well. The alcohol evaporates faster, pulls water out with it, and kills crud. Just don't mix alcohol with sparks or heating coils, it is flammable.
Thanks very much!
Old 02-18-2014, 07:05 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We offer some great mats to fit the Q5 that will keep all that water away from your carpets.

Check them out here: http://www.edgemats.com/collections/...ent-floor-mats