Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 / Q5 weak Homelink garage door signal

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 / Q5 weak Homelink garage door signal

Has anyone that had a weak Homelink signal issue been able to correct it? Like a previous post mentioned, works when door is open and you are trying to close, but when garage door is closed and you are trying to open it, Homelink opener does not work. Porsche and BMW ones work fine on the same garage.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bruswain
Has anyone that had a weak Homelink signal issue been able to correct it? Like a previous post mentioned, works when door is open and you are trying to close, but when garage door is closed and you are trying to open it, Homelink opener does not work. Porsche and BMW ones work fine on the same garage.
I'm having the opposite problem, in that it won't close the garage door. It has worked great since 2012, but in the past month has begun having problems closing. It opens fine.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Probably the single thing that pisses me off about the Q - I can be 2 houses away facing the garage and it will open it - but sitting in the driveway it won't CLOSE the damn garage door.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I second it.... IT SUCKS....
Old 11-02-2015, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

If I'm driving toward the house, or am facing the house in the driveway, I have no issue. If I'm backing in the driveway and try and open? Forget it, I need to be backed up so as to almost be touching the door for it to open.

I have to say though, it works for me just fine 99+% of the time. To play devil's advocate for a sec: our kid-hauler (POS...) Traverse is the opposite. My wife can be turning the corner 7+ houses away, she'll hit the button and the garage will open/close regardless of whether she can see anything going on. Damn near took out the Q5 hatch, a bike, and/or my head before she realized that was a bad plan
Old 11-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anybody tried to have dealer look at and fix it? I plan to bring this up with a service advisor and see what they say. If anyone has experience they can share that would help so maybe I know when to call BS on the SA when they say nope sorry nothing we can do.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Funny you should post this. This is an annoyance I'm having as well. I had a 2013 Q prior to my 2015 SQ and never had issues. Now I literally need to stop a few inches in front of the closed door to get it to work.

There must be something that is blocking the signal or something. I was going to ask at my first scheduled maintenance.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Question - is this a homelink issue or a GDO issue? My BMW homelink does just fine opening the door for my wife, but I need to be really close to my door to get it to open. Something with the GDO receiver, although I haven't figured it out yet.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Works just fine on our 2015 Q5. The range is definitely not as reaching as in our Lexus IS350 that Q5 had replaced, but opens and closes the garage door from about 3-4 houses away distance without fail. Definitely does not SUCK.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I couldn't get the damn thing to work despite having great success with my past three vehicles. I finally gave up on it and just bought a keychain remote which I tucked away in my door pocket. Works just fine

Quick Reply: SQ5 / Q5 weak Homelink garage door signal