Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 vs SRT8

Old 04-11-2015, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 TDI
I know - I know, different vehicles, but -

If passing power is something you're looking for - drive the Q5 TDI before you buy anything. With 425 foot pounds of torque, you *think* about passing someone and it's done.
Is it available in Canada (?) ... Saw it's available but seems a lot less sportier

Last edited by CoOlSlY; 04-11-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I average 13.5mpg in our SQ5.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 TDI
I know - I know, different vehicles, but -

If passing power is something you're looking for - drive the Q5 TDI before you buy anything. With 425 foot pounds of torque, you *think* about passing someone and it's done.
30-50 mph

SQ5 : 2.4 sec
SRT: 2.8 sec
TDI : 3.3 sec

50-70 mph

SQ5 : 3.3 sec
SRT : 3.3 sec
TDI : 4.4 sec

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2014-audi-sq5.pdf
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...erokee-srt.pdf
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...udi-q5-tdi.pdf
Old 04-12-2015, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What those passing times don't convey, however is how so much of the TDi's torque is available with just e gentle push of the accelerator. No doubt the TDi has no chance against the other 2 at full honk, but at part throttle it would be a much closer contest. Relaxing vs. frenetic.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
What those passing times don't convey, however is how so much of the TDi's torque is available with just e gentle push of the accelerator. No doubt the TDi has no chance against the other 2 at full honk, but at part throttle it would be a much closer contest. Relaxing vs. frenetic.
Your logic does not make much sense.

Just the fact that something is slower makes it less frenetic. I've driven the TDI's, they are nice but they are not as powerful as the fans like make them out to be, or you all came from 1.0 3 cylinders.

Most turbo engines, regardless if gas or diesel feel much the same, part throttle torque is abundant.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eric_C

Most turbo engines, regardless if gas or diesel feel much the same, part throttle torque is abundant.

Hmmm...I would disagree.... the TDI doesn't drive like a gasoline turbo'd engine and to equate the two only indicates you haven't truly driven the TDI. The lopsided torque provides a driving experience that is more reminiscent of a supercharged vehicle....Substantial low rpm torque is clearly an attribute of the TDI, but a typical turbocharged gasoline engine lacks low rpm pulling power and suffers from turbo lag in almost every application. So, the two do not drive like each other and the TDI is very obviously a different beast from a gasoline counterpart.

....the 3.0TDI is not the same as a Turbocharged Gas 3.0L....Period.

If you want to even the playing field between the SQ5 3.0T and the TDi, then just get a tune for the TDI and you'll get similar power as the SQ5 TDI, which is faster than the SQ5 3.0T.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by - B -
If you want to even the playing field between the SQ5 3.0T and the TDi, then just get a tune for the TDI and you'll get similar power as the SQ5 TDI, which is faster than the SQ5 3.0T.
The SQ5 TDI quarter mile is mid 14 versus mid 13 for the TFSI SQ5...

Anyway, who wants an engine that redline at 4600 RPM!?!?!?! :-)

Last edited by Yoshimura; 04-12-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you would "level the playing field" by putting a tune on a Q5 TDI, then the TFSI should be tuned as well, to keep things equal.
And, as I'm sure you know, the SQ5 is Supercharged, not turbo.
Comparing the American TFSI SQ5 to the Euro TDI version, the 0-60 time is 3/10 second faster, but over a second slower in the 1/4 mile.

Hmmm...I would disagree.... the TDI doesn't drive like a gasoline turbo'd engine and to equate the two only indicates you haven't truly driven the TDI. The lopsided torque provides a driving experience that is more reminiscent of a supercharged vehicle....Substantial low rpm torque is clearly an attribute of the TDI, but a typical turbocharged gasoline engine lacks low rpm pulling power and suffers from turbo lag in almost every application. So, the two do not drive like each other and the TDI is very obviously a different beast from a gasoline counterpart.

....the 3.0TDI is not the same as a Turbocharged Gas 3.0L....Period.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
If you would "level the playing field" by putting a tune on a Q5 TDI, then the TFSI should be tuned as well, to keep things equal.

Umm no...not equal.... the TDI will still be far more fuel efficient even with the tune.

And, as I'm sure you know, the SQ5 is Supercharged, not turbo.
Of course I know that, but the individual I quoted stated that turbo'd gas engines drive the same as turbo'd diesels and clearly they don't. The SQ5 3.0T is supercharged, but the SQ5 TDI is turbocharged...what am I missing?

Comparing the American TFSI SQ5 to the Euro TDI version, the 0-60 time is 3/10 second faster, but over a second slower in the 1/4 mile.
Are you planning on drag racing the Q5? I'm not....I have another vehicle for that....so 1/4 times are irrelevant to me..... most road races are from a stop light or briefly on a highway, so 0-60 times are a bit more practical for me..... which the TDi excels at.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

most road races are from a stop light or briefly on a highway, so 0-60 times are a bit more practical for me..... which the TDi excels at.
You should have taken the SQ5 then...

30-50: 2.4 (3.3 TDI)
50-70: 3.3 (4.4)
5-60: 5.9 (7.3)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SQ5 vs SRT8