Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 vs SRT8

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by - B -
uh...When did I say the Q5 is the best for racing through the canyons?

My decision to pick the TDI was purely about it suiting my needs for my personal purposes, as well for its combined fuel efficiency and torque...For me, it suited my needs best, but it is different for everyone..... it's not my race car ...I have one of those for that specific reason.... If I happen to be out and about and a little action happens, well that is just typical driving, not racing..... However, if you want to see what a Q5 TDI and SQ5 will do, I'd be happy to oblige. It certainly is no slouch like so many try to make it out to be.

BTW, Did you buy your SQ5 for racing? Seems like an odd choice for anyone to pick the Q5 as a race vehicle, but that is just my opinion.

Personally, I don't know why there is so much hostility towards the TDI. It is a fantastic engine. In fact we have already ordered another for us while we are staying at our home in Europe and more than likely would do it again.
This thread was started by someone who was asking for opinions on a comparison between and GC SRT8 and a SQ5 and you nose in and give an answer to a question that no one asked. You stated "If passing power is something you're looking for - drive the Q5 TDI before you buy anything." and then another person provided published statistics that indicated the TDI is really not faster in passing scenarios. Next thing you know you fall into the victim mode and write "For me, it suited my needs best, but it is different for everyone" and cry about hostility. You should really listen to your own words and stop gloating about the superior power of your TDI. Particularly when the fact of the matter is if compared back to back on the same "track" by the same driver everyone knows the SQ5 would turn a quicker lap time. Maybe you have the superior driving skills that you seem to like insinuate that you have and in your hands the your TDi would be faster than a lesser driver in a SQ5. That does not make the TDI a faster vehicle. If you like your TDI as much as you claim to one would think that you would not need to defend it so vehemently. Great you love your TDI, it's a great vehicle, it's not the sporty version of the Q5 and it wasn't part of the topic of the topic of conversation. You sound like spoiled kid that thinks whatever he has is better than what everyone else has and if someone doesn't agree you throw a hissy-fit. Now go take your ball and play somewhere else.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Boy, that escalated quickly ... I mean, that really got out of hand fast."
Old 04-13-2015, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I drove an SRT a while back. A few comments:

-Price: $72K for a moderately-optioned SRT was a complete shock to me.
-Performance: Not nearly as fast as I thought it would be, nor did it handle the way I expected. The 5400+ lb. curb weight really takes its toll.
-Sound: LOUD - like REALLY LOUD, both inside and out. Way too loud for a DD, IMO.
-Interior: Front seats, ambiance and toys pretty nice. Back seat was completely flat, uncomfortable, and looked like it belonged in a $25K vehicle, not a $72K vehicle. I couldn't imagine putting friends or business associates back there - embarrassingly bad, IMO.

SQ5 all the way, for my money.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by riceboy22
"Boy, that escalated quickly ... I mean, that really got out of hand fast."
Winner.

Also, my dad's Countach is faster than yours.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

As in all these "this v that" scenarios, you have to go out and drive both and choose the one YOU prefer. When I opted for the SQ5 the other cars in the running were an RS5, S7 and RS4 Avant. The SQ5 just hit the mark. It wasn't the fastest, the best sounding or any of that. I just liked it the best and could use it as a comfortable, quick DD with sufficient height to overcome the odd "obstacle" here and there. It worked for me. Go and drive all you are interested in and place the order for the one that ticks YOUR boxes! Have fun!
Old 04-14-2015, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cobrar97
BlackSVT...very much like I said. I notice your name (BlackSVT) and maybe you will notice mine. Having driver loud, fast Mustangs all my life...the SQ5 is very different and pleasantly...I've come to like it better. And I don't smell like exhaust when I get out. As any true Stanger knows...you're gonna smell like exhaust when you get out of the "right" Mustang.
Ahh, yes, those were the days a long string of progressively faster (and louder) Stangs and pre-kid cars... My first is still my favorite - an 89 LX5.0 with Vortech, heads, cam, headers, gears, blahblahblah. I ordered it right out of college and WTF I was thinking modding my DD to that extent, I'll never know. But, in the right conditions it could hit 11.6s in the quarter.

Now I look at my grocery-getter, SUV 3.0T and a simple tune and pulley gets mid 12s...smh... I think I may have had more $$ into that 89 than the Q5 cost!

Which leads me to this on the original topic -- if the SRT vs SQ5 purchaser has any plans to mod, my gut says the SRT is going to be cheaper to do so. The SQ5 can be tuned along w/a couple of other minimal power mods, but beyond that, it's gonna get Expensive fast.

...and I blew it on one other point - both cars use the ZF 8-speed after the SRT got it in 2014. I knew that, and blanked on my other post. I can't speak to the perf or mpg improvement for the new trans, but I'm thinking the lower 1st gear will help launch a ton, and mpg should be better in DD mode. Not to make the choice any more difficult or anything

BTW, cobrar97, my name BlackSVT came not from my 96 Cobra (Black...), but rather my 2002 SVT Focus (also black...). Confusing even to me!

Last edited by BlackSVT; 04-14-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.0Trouble
My Wife's money is my money and vice versa because we are married. That's how it works. Your trying to say your money is not your wife's, which sounds sounds odd to me, but whatever floats your boat.

Looks like it wasn't the SQ5 all the way for your, oops your wife's money.

This thread could be 10 years old, it doesn't matter. It's on the internet so it will be available forever and any member can comment on it.
Like you said to each their own...it may come as a surprise but not everyone shares everything in their home 50/50, when it comes to finances. Therefore, doesn't be so presumptuous to assume because YOU do something one way, other's should as well. Why don't you try actually commenting on the TOPIC which was associated with the SQ5 vs. the SRT, vs commenting on a member's financial obligations with their spouse.

BTW, welcome to the forum and what Q5 do you have?
Old 02-08-2016, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If I'm a troll then your the king of trolls. You work for Audi and attack people on this forum when they say something negative about the Audi brand, but don't have the ***** to disclose your affiliation with Audi. Now your being called out and you can't take it. Poor baby!

I don't believe a word you say. You lie every time you open your mouth and this line your trying to feed me about your wife making the decision to buy a TDI over your decision to want to buy a SQ5 sounds like more BS. I doubt that your not even married. With your personality I'd be surprised anyone could like you.

I don't have to answer your questions, so deal with it. You don't like not getting your way do you? Your not a moderator, so quit acting like one you internet tough guy. You think you can intimidate and bully people around because you hide behind a computer, but it won't work on me cyber tough guy.
Yo ZCD2.7T You can try to scrub your capitalized words that you use to show emphasis now that I have called that out too, but I have seen through your BS. Edit away. I bet you'll deny and lie away your Audi affiliation and make up more excuses. It should be easy for you since your a huge fraud and a king troll. It's pretty sad that a guy old as you has spent 15 years on this forum and you think because of that it entitles you to attack nice people who are raising concerns they have over a car they spent their hard earned money to buy. What a sad world you live in. Here is some wisdom for you. Don't throw rocks if you live in a glass house. Don't be shocked when you get a dose of your own medicine. No go cry in a corner because you can't take being called out.
Still shaking my head!
Old 02-08-2016, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Still shaking my head!
I'm just laughing.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Shake your head all day.I don't care. You run to ZCD2.7T's side whenever he talks his BS. Then you try to gang up on nice people who raise their concerns. I'm shaking my head right back at both of you.
Nice people like you? With a name like that?

Quick Reply: SQ5 vs SRT8