Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 w/ 21s - road noise and ride quality?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 w/ 21s - road noise and ride quality?

Hi all,

I picked up a new SQ5 last weekend with the 21" wheels, upgrading from a 2012 Q5 s-line prestige. While I expected a stiffer ride and a bit more road noise due to the Sports suspension and tires, it's a huge change. The ride is not what I'd expect from a $60k vehicle. Even on "smooth" pavement I can feel the car bouncing at even the slightest imperfection. The ride feels more like that of a Prius Taxi cab vs. my 2012.

My dealer is telling me it's just the stiffer ride of the S but I'm thinking I need to stay on them to investigate further. There's also a noticeable cabin vibration when idling that they're claiming is normal.

Are others experiencing the same thing?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2015, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you not test drive one before buying it???

Anyway, first thing to check is tire pressure and see if it's not overinflated. They come overinflated from the factory, and the dealer is supposed to let some air out when they prep it, but sometimes they forget. And use the half-load PSI values, not the full load, unless you frequently ride with 4 passengers and a full trunk.

Second of all, read the reviews of the particular tires that came on your SQ5. Some of them are known for being extra harsh/stiff. You could try replacing them with another tire model that is more on the comfy side, but there is only so much you can do with short sidewalls, I'm afraid.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'll check on the tires, and if it keeps being really bad I might try the 20s.

I did test drive it, but only so much I could glean from 45 minute drive on the highway and unfamiliar roads. I'm also wondering if something has been knocked out of alignment already.

I'm going to try and drive another SQ5 at the dealer to compare since the ride doesn't match the reviews I had read and experienced in my test drive.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by KeilwerthSX90R
I'll check on the tires, and if it keeps being really bad I might try the 20s.

I did test drive it, but only so much I could glean from 45 minute drive on the highway and unfamiliar roads. I'm also wondering if something has been knocked out of alignment already.

I'm going to try and drive another SQ5 at the dealer to compare since the ride doesn't match the reviews I had read and experienced in my test drive.
Per other replies, do check the tire pressures (cold). The pressures on the door jamb are the max load pressures, which are on the high side. See the manual for the partial load pressures.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What tires?

Our '15 came with Pirelli's and the car is dead silent.

As far as the ride much better than the '14 SQ5 we test drove and much quieter.

I was more than satisfied compared to what I thought we were getting.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:15 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

My '14 has the Dunlop Sportmax 21". The ride is obviously not as comfortable as a standard Q5 but I did not expect that from the sportiest model. Road noise is no more than any other car I've owned. The ride on the highway is smooth so I tend to agree with others either the pressure is way too high or they forgot to remove the shipping blocks or something.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'd say the dealer should address the issues, whether actual or perceived. It's part of good customer service. If they can't/won't then escalate it as necessary. Don't be pushed around or made to feel "dumb".

With that said:
What tires does it have? If they are RFT/Run Flats, then that will explain the poor ride. If there's no spare wheel, likely it has RFT's.

Tires are a HUGE factor. Want the smoothest riding sport tires? Michelin Pilot Super Sports. So smooth I'm getting rid of mine. Going with Vredestein Vorti's.

Most Audi sport models have excessively stiff shocks. Our A4 is still firm after 130K miles. But it's good. On other Audi's I have put on upgraded shocks and in ever7 case the ride is better and handling remains excellent (or better).

The shocks and tires are THE main factors for ride quality. Audi suspension systems are the best in the business otherwise. Every time I drive a BMW, and reminded of that, and others.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Did you not test drive one before buying it???
x2

What size wheels did you have on your 2012? 19"? Bigger wheels give harsher ride. As well it is a sport vehicle/will be a bit stiffer. What are the roads like near you?
Old 05-24-2015, 01:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KeilwerthSX90R
Hi all,

I picked up a new SQ5 last weekend with the 21" wheels, upgrading from a 2012 Q5 s-line prestige. While I expected a stiffer ride and a bit more road noise due to the Sports suspension and tires, it's a huge change. The ride is not what I'd expect from a $60k vehicle. Even on "smooth" pavement I can feel the car bouncing at even the slightest imperfection. The ride feels more like that of a Prius Taxi cab vs. my 2012.

My dealer is telling me it's just the stiffer ride of the S but I'm thinking I need to stay on them to investigate further. There's also a noticeable cabin vibration when idling that they're claiming is normal.

Are others experiencing the same thing?

Thanks!
All the same here, unless on perfect road all symptoms exist, but I knew it going in. In Northern California 21" were pretty much the only choice, found 1 with 20", but it had alcantara and with a toddler the fear of keeping clean got in the way. 95% of the time I have no regrets

This being said, if you do go with 20" you have a few things going for you 1. More tire choices, Michelin PSS are a LOT quieter than Pirellis, 2. Higher sidewall, 3. Lower tire pressure for the same load.

I'm not into moding cars, but perhaps if you lowered yours you could go with a suspension setup that is less stiff as well. From what I can see it seems people are going the other direction though.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not have a SQ5 without the 21's. I will just deal with the stiff ride and road noise. They look so good!!

Quick Reply: SQ5 w/ 21s - road noise and ride quality?